Can I confess how much I love these garlic parmesan wings? Truly crispy oven baked wings in a buttery garlic parmesan sauce. This low carb recipe will have you licking your fingers and asking for more. Get my trick for crispy oven baked chicken every time. Instructional video included.
Why yes, I do already have a keto garlic parmesan wings recipe here on the blog. But it was desperately in need of an update for quite a number of reasons.
For one, my photography has vastly improved in the intervening 5 years from the time I published the original wing recipe. Secondly, I have perfected my oven-baked wings so that they are truly crispy, and I felt this basic low carb chicken wings recipe needed the old garlic parmesan treatment. But then again, I think everything needs the garlic parmesan treatment.
And finally, I had previously used some pre-packaged herb pastes which, while delicious, didn’t really make an already easy recipe any easier. For many people, those pastes are not readily available, so I decided that fresh is always better and that I wanted this recipe to be accessible to more readers.
And well hey, I decided to shoot a video while I was at it.
Check out my Garlic Parmesan Wings video!
Have I ever mentioned that wings are my favourite food group? Yes, I really do think these unassuming little chicken parts deserve their own food group. They easily rank up there as one of my favorite foods. Even more so now that I eat a low carb and sometimes ketogenic diet.
Because almost everywhere you go, some restaurant or pub or little hole in the wall will be serving chicken wings and as long as they are not breaded or sugar-glazed, they are usually keto friendly. So I often order wings when nothing else is available.
Of course, there are so-so wings, and there are good wings, and then there are REALLY good wings. Some places just stick them on the menu because it’s expected and they don’t really care about wings. They don’t feel the same way I do about wings, that they should be really crisp and not overly drowned in sauce.
They just pop some frozen wings into a fryer and slop some Buffalo sauce on them and consider it done. Yes, I will eat those and make the most of it. But I much prefer places that really care about their wings, that take the time to really crisp them up and then add just the right amount of seasonings and sauces. So you get flavour but you also get to enjoy the crispness and saltiness of the wing itself.
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Wings
Let me tell you how to get truly crispy garlic parmesan wings at home. It’s an astonishingly easy trick and it makes the best wings without the trouble of deep frying. I love deep fried foods but it’s a fair bit of work and it results in my house smelling like fried food for days.
But this little trick allows you to get crispy oven baked wings every time. Ready?
Baking powder. Yes, friends, baking powder.
I wish I’d thought of this trick myself because it’s ingenious. Alas, I did not and I think I saw it first on Recipe Tin Eats. I found it hard to believe that adding a little baking powder would result in such delectable wings but it does.
Here’s how it works
- Pat the wings dry very well, as this really only works on very dry wings. You can even leave them uncovered in the fridge overnight to help dry out the skin even more.
- Pop the wings in a ziplock bag and sprinkle with baking powder. Make sure it’s not baking soda, as only baking powder will work. Toss them around a bit to coat all the wings, then lay them out on a rack over a baking sheet.
- Bake at a low temp for about half an hour. This renders some of the fat so the skin can really crisp up.
- Then turn up the temperature and continue to bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove and toss with garlic parmesan butter.
This is honestly the best oven baked method out there, in my humble opinion. The baking powder does add a fair amount of saltiness unto itself so use a light hand with the salt until you know how they taste.
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 ounce grated parmesan about 1/2 cup
- Fresh chopped rosemary or parsley
- Preheat oven to 250F and place a baking rack over a baking sheet lined with foil. Brush rack with oil to prevent sticking.
- Pat wings dry very well (as dry as possible!) and place in a plastic bag. Sprinkle with baking powder, salt, and pepper and seal the bag. Shake to coat. Lay wings in a single layer on prepared baking rack and bake in lower third of oven for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425F and move baking sheet to upper third of oven. Continue to bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until crispy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a microwaveable safe bowl or in a saucepan. Add the garlic, parsley and pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken wings and sprinkle with the parmesan. Toss well to coat. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce.