Take all the best flavors of the Pumpkin Spice Latte and turn it into low carb ice cream! Cool, creamy and a whole lot healthier, this keto dessert recipe will satisfy all your pumpkin cravings.
I’m addicted to Pumpkin Spice and I am not afraid to admit it. I have so many delicious keto pumpkin recipes and there is no sign of me stopping any time soon. I’ve got the best keto pumpkin pancakes, the best keto pumpkin muffins, and the best pumpkin breakfast bars, all here on this blog.
And with pumpkin spice season just around then corner, I thought it was time to make some keto pumpkin ice cream too. Because it’s still hot out there but I crave that pumpkin spice flavor anyway. And this sweet sugar-free ice cream recipe is the perfect solution.
A longstanding love of Pumpkin Spice
When I was heading to the hospital to have my third child, I took my husband by the hand, looked deep into his eyes, and made him swear on all he holds dear that he would bring me a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks after the baby was born.
I’d spent that late summer and early fall in PSL withdrawal due to gestational diabetes and I wanted one, a big one, practically the minute the baby had made her way into the world. I was determined to have one, even if I had to hightail my johnny-clad postpartum body down the street to the nearest Starbucks myself.
Good man that he is, he swore he would do as I asked and he followed through. It might have been the best cup of coffee I’d ever had and I didn’t care one iota about the sugar I was putting in my body. I’d denied myself many a treat over the course of my pregnancy and as I was slender and fit, we all thought my blood sugar issues would resolve the minute the baby was born.
Which it did, only to reappear six or so months down the road. But that Pumpkin Spice Latte will live forever in my memory.
The thing is that I don’t really miss them all that much anymore. The infamous PSL no longer has the kind of power over me that it used to do. I can imagine that were I to taste one now, I’d realize that it was horrifically sweet and didn’t really taste much like real pumpkin spice should. So I’d rather it live on in my memory as something I used to love.
How to Make Keto Pumpkin Ice Cream
The best part is that it’s really so easy to take those pumpkin spice flavors and add them to just about any delicious keto dish. You can make a classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, or branch out and make a keto pumpkin chai latte. Or add those same flavors to a keto pumpkin biscotti. Really, it’s wide open for experimentation.
And this pumpkin ice cream has all the amazing flavors of my favorite fall drink. I added some instant espresso powder to really make it true to the PSL, but you could skip that, if you prefer.
Here are my best tips on rocking the keto pumpkin ice cream:
Heavy whipping cream is your friend. The higher the fat content, the creamier the ice cream. Heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, being typically over 35% butter fat.
A brown sugar substitute gives this pumpkin ice cream a real pumpkin pie kind of flavor. I prefer Swerve but there are others you could use as well.
Yes, you really DO need another sweetener. I get asked this constantly. Let me tell you straight up that using just erythritol based sweeteners (which includes Lakanto, by the way), will make your ice cream freeze rock hard. It’s just the nature of the beast. But if you mix it with Bocha Sweet or allulose, you will have perfectly scoopable ice cream, right out of the freezer.
The Yacon syrup is optional. It simply improves the color and the deep, almost caramel-like flavor. And it only adds about 0.5g carbs per serving.
You can use pumpkin pie spice in place of the separate spices. About 1 ½ teaspoons ought to do it.
Use an instant read thermometer. It’s the best way to tell when the custard is sufficiently cooked. You do still need to be whisking almost constantly, so you don’t curdle the egg yolks.
Ready to enjoy some delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream? It’s the perfect treat for that funny in-between time when it’s still hot out but you really want your pumpkin spice goodies!
More Delicious Keto Pumpkin Recipes
Keto Pumpkin Latte Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup Swerve Brown
- ⅓ cup Bocha Sweet (or xylitol or allulose)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Yacon syrup (or molasses) Optional, helps with color and flavor
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set a bowl over an ice bath and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, sweetener and instant coffee over medium heat. Stir until the sweetener and coffee dissolve and mixture reaches 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with Yacon, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Slowly add about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Then slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Cook until the mixture reaches 175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours up to overnight.
- Whisk in the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Once churned, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours