Hooray! This easy keto Chocolate Chip Cookie for One gets a brand new update and a how to video!
I am known for a lot of things, but I am definitely not known for creating single serving recipes. Typically my recipes, whether sweet or savoury, feed at least 4 people, if not more.
This makes perfect sense, as I have a family of five and they are remarkably hungry human beings. Now that my kids are in their tweens and teens, I am continuously surprised by the amount of food my children can put away.
I can barely keep up with their appetites, so large recipes that feed a crowd are the standard in my house. But every so often, I get it into my head to make something smaller, something that serves only one or two people.
And I’ve discovered just how much I love doing it. It’s a great way to enjoy delicious keto desserts without having a whole bunch of leftovers hanging around. That way, I can try a tasty new dessert every day!
And this deep dish keto cookie is the recipe that kicked off that trend.
Mini Keto Desserts are fun and easy to make!
Many of my readers are empty nesters, or they haven’t had kids yet. Or they never had kids at all. Some live with their spouses or significant others and some live alone. I am often asked how to cut my recipes down to size to suit smaller households.
After my initial reluctance to make small batch keto recipes, I found myself loving it so much, I began making a whole series of them.
I’ve even got a delicious Keto Pizza Casserole that serves just two. It’s easy and delicious.
Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe does not result in a free form cookie, but is rather baked in a dish for a warm, gooey cookie experience. It’s heavenly topped with some keto vanilla ice cream. And so great made with ChocZero dark chocolate chips!
When making small batch keto recipes, it’s imperative to invest in some small bakeware, such as ramekins and mini baking dishes. For this Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie, a small 1/2 cup (4 ounce) capacity ramekin is just about perfect.
I also really like these 4 inch springform pans for making mini cheesecakes.
Tips for making Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies for One
Scaling down a recipe for one or two servings can be tricky, especially when it comes to baking. The need to be exact can make it hard to take a large recipe and cut it down to size. The trickiest ingredient is the egg, as you often need less than one full egg for small batch recipes.
Here are my best tips for a truly gooey keto cookie experience:
- Use a brown sugar replacement for the sweetener. I find this gives it more real chocolate chip cookie flavor.
- Using just the egg yolks also helps make the cookie softer and more gooey. You only need about half of the egg yolk, or two teaspoons. So simply whisk the yolk in a small bowl and then measure it out.
- Baking soda, rather than baking powder, helps the consistency and the browning. It’s a trick I learned from Cook’s Illustrated many years ago.
- Always save a few chocolate chips for the top, before baking. It makes the cookies look that much more appealing.
- If you have a toaster oven or small countertop oven, I recommend using that for baking your cookie. Heating up a whole big oven for one single serving is inefficient and wasteful.
Can you make this keto cookie for two people?
You bet! It’s easy to scale this up for more than one person.
When I was testing and developing it, I really had to play around with the proportions to get the right gooey cookie consistency. I made it multiple times, and my kids liked it so much, I had to make some for them.
When making it for two people, you can use the whole egg yolk. Every other ingredient will simply be doubled.
If you want to make 4 servings, you can use the whole egg in place of just the yolk, and you would simply quadruple the rest of the ingredients.
No matter how many or how few you make, it’s the perfect keto dessert!
More Small Batch Keto Dessert Recipes
- Keto Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies for Two
- Single Serve Keto Brownie
- Keto Tiramisu for Two
- Keto Single Serve Cake
- Keto Single Serve Cookie Dough
Single Serve Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a small ramekin (4 ounce capacity)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter and sweetener. Stir in the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Stir in the almond flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined and then stir in most of the chocolate chips, saving a few to press into the top of the cookie.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared ramekin and press remaining chocolate chips into the top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges but the middle is still a little soft to the touch.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes before eating. Top with your favourite low carb vanilla ice cream for a serious treat!