Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes (Healthy Breakfast for Kids)

I know that Easter is this Sunday and is supposed to be a day of miracles, but I declare that last Sunday was a pretty miraculous day in our house. Miracle #1: I slept in until after 7 AM. I am usually awake before 6 AM so this counts as sleeping in in my world. Miracle #2: My two older children were already up, playing quietly downstairs. If you have young kids, you know how remarkable this is. When they wake up before me, they usually take it upon themselves to wake me up as well. They do not respect their parents’ need for sleep. Miracle #3: My two older children were playing quietly TOGETHER. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so surprised. These two are usually at each other’s throats (in fact, they are currently screaming at each other this very moment). Miracle #4: The little one was still asleep, and slept in until past 8 AM. This likely means she was partying in her crib at some point during the night, but it was a welcome change to have her still asleep when I woke up.

So, what to do on such a miraculously quiet, peaceful Sunday morning? Make pancakes, of course! My children love pancakes, but the effort and mess involved means that I don’t make them very often. Something about the peacefulness of the morning inspired me to reward everyone with a batch of fluffy, hearty pancakes. I will confess that a few years ago, I would have reached for the box of Bisquick or other pre-packaged pancake mix. It’s not that I didn’t know HOW to make pancakes from scratch, but since I don’t love them myself, I wouldn’t have been bothered. But a lot has changed since becoming a diabetic, and I have my eye on my whole family’s diet. We always ate fairly healthfully, but now whenever I can sub in a healthier version, I do. With the exception of some decadent desserts, of course!

I’ve had a bag of buckwheat languishing in my cupboard for a while now. It’s not exactly low carb, but it is a good, high fiber, healthy alternative to wheat. In this case, I knew I wanted to combine it with whole wheat flour, so these are not gluten free pancakes but they are whole grain. I found a decent looking recipe from Ellie Krieger to follow as a guide, but I made a lot of changes. I did a recipe and a half, I added some whey protein powder, replaced the buttermilk with almond milk (but I did put in a tbsp of buttermilk powder), and I didn’t mix the blueberries into the batter. Instead, I sprinkled them over batter as it was cooking on it’s first side. In the past, I’ve found that adding blueberries directly to the batter means that most of them sink to the bottom and your first pancakes have very few while your last pancakes have a lot. Adding them to the pancakes while they are cooking means a more even distribution and you don’t risk turning all of your batter blue when mixing.

The Results: I was really impressed with these! I was concerned that the buckwheat and whole wheat would make them dense like pucks, but they were remarkably fluffy. I think this was in part due to the protein powder I added. And the buckwheat flavour, which is distinctive and rather rustic, was present but not overpowering. The kids didn’t bat an eye, as far as they were concerned these were regular pancakes and they were not at all put off by my healthificationn of their favourite breakfast. Everyone asked for seconds. I had one myself (with sugar-free syrup and a run after breakfast) and I loved them. They were so much more flavourful than regular white flour pancakes. And they were hearty enough to keep us all full for a good long while.

If you are looking for a healthier pancake option, look no further. Your whole family will love these.

Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes

1 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 tbsp buttermilk powder (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups almond milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
oil or melted butter for pan
2 cups blueberries

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, protein powder, buttermilk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In another bowl or large measuring cup, beat eggs lightly and then stir in almond milk and canola oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.

Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and brush with oil or melted butter. Scoop batter onto skillet in 1/4 cup amounts. Sprinkle each pancake with 1 to 2 tbsp blueberries. Let pancakes cook until bubbles are forming on the top and the bottom is golden brown, and the flip carefully.

Cook on the other side until golden brown. Sprinkle each with remaining blueberries and serve with maple syrup.

Comments

1. These pancakes look amazing and I'm all the miracle of sleeping in! lol

2. Now Serving says:

Not just for kids please – I would love some too, like right now !

3. Deborah Mele says:

Look delicious. Buckwheat Blueberry pancakes are my very favorite type of pancakes. I have used buttermilk in mine which seems to help keep them light. Your pancakes look delicious and make me hungry!

I can relate to what you consider sleeping in. My toddler has just started running out of his room, entering ours, and then hollering for us to "WAKE UP!" Haha! These pancakes would be perfect for those rare mornings when I'm up before he is or when we have a relaxing Sunday morning. Yummy!

5. :) What a great way to start the day! Lovely pancakes!!!

6. I've been looking for a healthier pancake recipe! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try them.

7. Parsley Sage says:

Hooray for a lie in! That can make you feel like a million bucks. And I think the fam totally deserved these lovely pancakes as a reward :) I'm glad you let yourself sneak one as well. Thanks for sharing!

8. In and Around Town says:

Such a great idea…love the last picture with the syrup dripping off the sides – YUM!

9. Farmgirl Gourmet says:

Oh goodness, those look amazing. Just love it. Great photos too!!

10. mmmm…these look phenomenal! I love your photos, making me drool:)))
    And I totally understand about "at each other's trouts:))" I have the same problem but sometimes they are really getting along..so for me weekends are really nice, I can sleep longer, and kids pretty calm LOL!!!

11. I think that after this treat, your children will be nice and quiet on Sunday mornings much more often :)

12. Jennifurla says:

What a superb morning indeed, Indy wakes me up to singing…which is utterly adorable!

Lovely meal, I can smell them already.

LOL that does sound like a miracle morning! Wonderful looking pancakes!

14. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

I am so excited to find a healthy and delicious pancake recipe! Thank you!

15. These looks great – definitely fluffy! I love the addition of protein powder: I don't feel like I've had a proper breakfast, so I often sneak whey or egg whites into things like pancakes and oatmeal…Nice job!

16. big boys oven says:

so delicioua! I just love them!

17. I love buckwheat pancakes. These look perfect!

18. Catherine says:
  19. Mary @Delightful Bitefuls says:

Love pancakes!! These look fabulous!!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

20. I've been trying to eat more buckwheat (and more alkaline producing grains in general)… thanks for sharing this recipe! I totally want to make these pancakes with my nephews this week (they're on school vaca and hangin' w/ auntie Tiffany!)

21. Belinda @zomppa says:

Great way to enjoy a miraculous day!!

22. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

These look and sound great!

23. freshandfoodie.com says:

I really like buckwheat pancakes. Something about the heartier flavor and texture is appealing to me.

I've never seen buttermilk powder — where'd you find it?

24. Diethood.com says:

I can't remember the last time I got to sleep past 7 am! Oh yeah I can… 21 months ago…two days before I had Ana. :)

So that's what I can do with my buckwheat! Carolyn, I have had that bag just sitting there for a couple of months at least… :)

25. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Yes my family would love this recipe! You really captured some beautiful shots of it too!! ♥- Katrina

26. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

Yes, I can still remember that awesome feeling when I was able to sleep in a little again. I don't think there is a more welcoming good morning than a delicious stack of pancakes. Yours would really hit the spot.

27. thehungryhomebody says:

mouth is watering!

28. Healthy Mamma says:

What a lovely recipe. What could you use instead of whey protein powder? Mybe buttermilk powder?

29. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

Plain 'ol buttermilk pancakes will never satisfy me again now that I've seen your buckwheat ones. Happy you had such a great Sunday.

healthy ingredients pancakes looks perfect for breakfast

31. Jeanette says:

These look so light and fluffy! I love blueberry pancakes and buckwheat is so much healthier than most pancakes! Glad you had a day to "sleep in" if sleeping in to 7 counts!!

32. The Harried Cook says:

How lovely that looks! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day :) I love this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

33. sara @ CaffeIna says:

I bet if you offered these pancakes your kids will make miracles again! I should try with hubby….maybe I would come home from work one day and find a tidy and clean house. Hey, hope is the last to die!

34. We love pancakes and have them every weekend we are home! Your photos are mouth watering…sure wish it was Saturday morning already! ;)

35. Wonderful pancakes! And, btw, I live in hopes that I too will someday experience miracles 2 and 3. :-)

36. Annie's Dish says:

That sounded like such a splendid morning! The pancakes sound wonderful, my husband is a big fan of buckwheat.

37. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

Oh my those look so light and fluffy. I wish I had these for breakfast! Blueberry pancakes are my favorite kind of pancakes and I love buckwheat. I'll have to try these out. Thanks for the great recipe!

38. These pancakes looks amazing.It is healthy too.I love it.
    -Healthblog

39. Great blueberry tip! I am going to have to start doing that!

40. Katrina (Betty Ray) says:

I totaly would've rewarded my kids for that kind of sunday morning too. :) These pancakes look delicious. Love those blueberries.

41. Susi's Kochen und Backen says:

Awesome looking pancakes. They look perfectly browned and fluffy as can be. I wouldn't mind being "rewarded" with a stack of these. :o)

42. Kate from Scratch says:

What is this "sleep" you speak of? Great post! buzzybuzz! ;)

43. Kelly Jie Chen says:

Beautiful photos, lovely recipe! Thanks for sharing!

44. Firefly@fireflyblog.org says:

Beautiful pancakes and I love that they are with blueberries :) my daughter would love this!

I love your list of miracles :)

45. Butrcreamblondi says:

I love pancakes, well I love anything that ends in cake! These look perfect with the blueberries and your photos are beautiful!

46. mywanderingspoon says:

These are our favorite pancakes and choice of fruit. Lovely and healthy:)
    I would love to share with you great kids snack….thanks:)

47. Jean @ Lemons and Anchovies says:

I'm with you on pancakes. When I have time, I enjoy making them but not as much eating them. I think it's all the maple syrup and butter that goes with the experience that keeps me from ever eating too much of them. Otherwise, they're great!

I started using buckwheat flour for pancakes a few years ago and haven't gone back. My husband loves them so I don't feel so bad when he eats enough for two people in one sitting. Will have to try adding protein powder next time–mine can be a little lighter. Thanks for the tip!

48. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Carolyn, these pancakes are beautiful and delicious! I was smiling while reading your miracle list, because I can relate so well. I like how you said the little one was "partying" in the crib! LOL :-)

49. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

I love buckwheat pancakes…. in Brittany, France they make their crêpes with buckwheat flour. These look wonderful with blueberries! So happy you got to sleep in on the weekend!

50. Sleeping in…the BOMB! These pancakes look out of this world and they`r healthy! Break out the party favors!

51. Anonymous says:

I'm spreading the word all over.
    To get fluffy whole grain pancakes, separate your eggs, whip the whites. Cream the yolks with the wet ingredients, add the dry. Fold in the egg whites at the end and viola! Beautiful, fluffy wg pancakes.

52. Love the almond milk & protein powder in these pancakes. Have not used buckwheat in some time & need too :)

53. baking.serendipity says:

Pancakes are on my Sunday morning agenda every week :) I love your recipe!

54. Elisabeth says:

Carolyn-Love buckwheat pancakes, and with the addition of the blueberries is "heavenly"…not just a favorite with kids, but the rest of us, as well:D
    Thanks for sharing yet, another fabulous recipe!
    xo

55. Beloved Green says:

The best part about this for me is that my friend is making maple syrup right now. I keep dreaming of pancakes!

56. My kid will definitely love this :) It looks so amazing :)

57. briarrose says:

Perfect way to celebrate a glorious morning. :) Wonderful, light stack of pancakes.

58. Magic of Spice says:

Quiet Sunday mornings are my favorite and these pancakes work for me, delicious :)

59. She's Cookin' says:

A run after breakfast -you're so good! I would love these – must convince my husband, the pancake master in our house :)

60. You may be shocked, but I really dislike eating lots of carbs for breakfast, but I could really go for some healthy pancakes like yours. Thanks for a healthier option :)

61. Anonymous says:

Not really that relatable to this exact post, but more in the spirit of our love for great breakfast.

New York's cheap answer…

62. I love blueberries pancakes. They are perfect for breakfast!

63. will make these, they look lovely.

1. […] & Waffles: Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes from All Day I Dream About Food Almond Flour Yogurt Waffles from All Day I Dream About Food Strawberry Banana French Toast […]

2. […] 7. Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes {All Day I Dream About Food} […]