White Chocolate Peanut Butter (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Let’s talk about peanut butter, shall we? It’s one of my favourite subjects. Like many people in North America, I grew up in a household where peanut butter was a staple. You might even call it a necessity. So much so that on a trip to France when I was a teenager, my father brought along two large jars of peanut butter. There we were in Provence, enjoying some of the best food the world has to offer, but still hauling the lowly ground peanut all the way from Canada. You can hardly blame him. He was traveling four kids, two of whom were under the age of 10 and still in that picky-eater phase, and he simply didn’t want hear complaints of missing their favourite food. I was fifteen and although not the most adventurous eater at that point, I tried the foods that came my way and loved most of them. But I believe I still had a peanut butter sandwich or two on that trip.

The selection in the peanut butter aisle of many grocery stores seems to have expanded tremendously over the past decade or so. It used to be Skippy, Jif, and the generic storebrand, in creamy or chunky. Then came the natural peanut butters, at first maybe one or two obscure brands. And soon a few others, as natural peanut butter gained popularity. Some interesting flavours and combinations began to appear, like honey-roasted and mixed peanut butter and jam. And now there is a whole assortment of wonderful variations, like peanut butter and cinnamon, peanut butter with chili, and of course, the ultimate combination of peanut butter and chocolate.

In reality, I’ve been making my own version of this for years. For decades really, simply by melting some peanut butter and chocolate together in the microwave. It’s always been dark chocolate, it never occured to me to combine my beloved peanut butter with anything else. But the white chocolate flavour I spied recently in the grocery store made me realize how good that must taste too. However, I figured it was off limits to me as a diabetic, since white chocolate isn’t really chocolate at all, but cocoa butter and sugar, with some milk solids and vanilla. I haven’t found a satisfactory version of low carb white chocolate on the market at all.

And then it hit me. If white chocolate is mostly sweetened cocoa butter, why couldn’t I just skip the middle man and put cocoa butter in my peanut butter? With a little sweetener and some vanilla for flavouring? Who says I have to go with pre-made white chocolate?

The Results: I believe I may have invented the first ever Low Carb White Chocolate Peanut Butter spread. And it’s delicious! Quite honestly, it tastes a little like peanut butter icing, but that makes perfect sense when you think about the ingredients. I’m inclined to think that the commercial version probably tastes like peanut butter icing too. But the cocoa butter does give it a hint of that white chocolate taste, which is really lovely. My kids love it, and have been asking every morning for toast with “Mummy’s peanut butter”.

Now, truth be told, I will always love the dark chocolate peanut butter combo best. It holds a special place in my heart and always will. But I am thrilled with the results of this little experiment and will happily make it again. Made with fresh peanuts and no hydrogenated oils, I have no qualms about my kids eating it every morning.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter

2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts*
2 tbsp cocoa butter, melted**
3 tbsp powdered erythritol
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 tbsp vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place peanuts in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add melted cocoa butter and powdered erythritol and continue to process until peanuts begin to liquify and a smooth consistency is achieved. Add salt, powdered milk, vanilla protein powder and vanilla extract and process until combined.

*I find unsalted peanuts hard to come by, so I buy big bags of roasted peanuts in their shell, and I shell them myself. It can be rather tedious, but doing it while watching TV helps pass the time!

**Store in refrigerator if the peanut butter won’t all be used up within a few days. Cocoa butter solidifies at higher temperatures than other oils, so it will harden, but a quick zap in the microwave will make it spreadable again.

Makes 12 servings (about 1.5 tbsp each). Each serving has a total of 8.6g of carbs, but only 5.6g if you subtract erythritol.

Comments

1. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Please for the love of all that's good start selling this stuff!!!

2. I heart you for inventing this, since 1) I'm a white chocolate – peanut butter fiend (just finished a jar of PB and Co's version)and 2) Trying to eat healthier on a daily basis. It looks phenomenal!

3. Chad @ thebreakupnote says:

Well, this is brilliant. I never thought to put protein powder in nut butter!

4. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

This is nothing short of brilliant and you should be selling it!

5. Kate@Diethood says:

Hello PB! Carolyn, this is just WOW! I'm with Katrina – where can I buy this stuff?!?! Jar it, soon!

So, knowing what you know about me and dark chocolate (blech), you know that this makes me very, very happy. I'm so glad that you do the experimenting and all I have to do is come along, copy, paste and remake. :)

Thank you!!!!

I haven't seen or heard of flavored peanut butters. I must be hiding under a rock or something. I'm use to just seeing the crunchy, creamy, and naturals. This sounds really delicious though and something I'd love to try.

8. A food whose time has come! This sounds really terrific and I can't wait to try it myself.

9. Woww Carolyn, you need to patent that..sounds incredible, and I would totally buy it!:) Love it!!!

10. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

You are so smart to add extra protein to this. I want some. :)

11. liveandbemerry says:

one word — YUM.
    I want this right now!

12. Island Vittles says:

You're the Thomas Edison of food — keep going, I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Theresa

13. Brittany says:

Umm…thats amazing!!!

14. melissa says:

Uhh, Can I say thank you:) I love love love white chocolate peanut butter!! Thanks for posting this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

15. QFMVCunctator says:

Craving some!! Carb counts, pretty please?

16. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Your dad is so sweet bringing the peanut butter jars for the international trip! Now being a mom, I totally understand how to avoid unnecessary fight especially during the trip. You are so expert making everything low carb food. Having homemade & low carb make you feel much better giving kids a little bit more, even they ask you more and more! :-)

17. Fresh and Foodie says:

Yum! No matter how old I get, peanut butter will always be one of my favorite foods. I'd love to try making this recipe — sounds great!

Nicely done! You are so impressive in the kitchen!

19. I have an overwhelming urge to go melt some chocolate and peanut butter together! This looks just spectacular, Carolyn. Wonderful recipe and photos!

20. Beautiful! That would make the most fantastic sandwich. Or peanut butter mousse! Yum

21. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

I've taken to making my own nut butter too! This sounds like a great combination. Next batch is white chocolate…

22. That sounds amazing! Your pictures are excellent too! I can't wait to see what other treat you can make using that peanut butter!

this looks delicious haven't made peanut butter before wonderfully homemade

24. Annie's Dish says:

You better get a patent on this one honey. What an inventive idea and it sounds and looks delicious!

25. eatthecookie says:

any reports of a successful stevia substitution? i would just die if i got to have this on my chocolate chip banana bread this weekend!

26. You might make a peanut butter convert out of me after all…I heart white chocolate :)

27. You might make me a peanut butter convert after all! I heart white chocolate :)

28. I can't believe your father brought peanut butter to France! That's hysterical.
    PB and I have an on again and off again relationship – but every time good old PB walks through my pantry door again its love at first taste. A white chocolate version sounds out of this world.

29. It's been an educational experience learning about all the nut butter variations in America :)

Australia is still stuck with the traditional smooth / crunchy peanut butters (with added sugar etc), or the 'health food section' natural nut butters (usually peanut, almond or cashew). Flavour twists have not yet made it across, so I'm always grateful for recipes like these, which remind me of what it's possible to do at home.

30. scratch-made wife says:

Uh, yeah, so anytime you wanna talk about peanut butter, I'm available. I can't live without the stuff! And here I was just happy eating it on the spoon. Now you've filled me with even more ideas!

31. SuzyEats says:

this is a great idea!!!

32. The Harried Cook says:

May I have some of 'Mommy's Peanut Butter' too? Yummy!! I think it looks fabulous and I agree that you should consider patenting it :) Great post!

33. What a unique recipe!

34. Absolutely amazing! I agree that people shall not only talk about peanut butter but also shall eat it every morning :D

35. Apron Appeal says:

If I use sunflower butter instead I wonder if the white chocolate would entice my kids to eat it. Life without PB can be sad some days.

36. Irina@thecoffeebreak says:

I can't live without peanut butter, but never heard about white chocolate peanut butter! Looks very delicious!

37. RavieNomNoms says:

Oh my word you are a genius!! Seriously!! I saw this picture yesterday and I just couldn't believe how gorgeous it was and now that I see the recipe…man oh man, you hit the jackpot here.

Peanut butter was one of the only things I would eat as a child no lie. Between peanut butter, carrots, and cheerios that is how I survived until I was about 8. haha…I was a Peter Pan fan until they came out with this Nature's Promise organic peanut butter…IN LOVE! :-)

Great post Carolyn!

38. What a great recipe! I've never bought cocoa butter before. What else do you like to use it for?

39. Belinda @zomppa says:

I really like your thinking. Like, really!!

40. Wow, you are certainly on to something here! I'm looking forward to trying this out!

41. baking.serendipity says:

Awesome thinking! I have thought seriously about buying that white chocolate peanut butter before, but always hated the price tag and worried secretly that I wouldn't like it. Making my own small batch seems like the solution :) Thank you!

42. Spicie Foodie says:

Peanut Butter and chocolate, now that's heaven. Your story of the family trip to France with peanut butter made me giggle. When I first arrived in Paris I couldn't find p.b. and missed it to the point where we had it shipped from the states. Thankfully p.b. is now found everywhere :) Yours looks amazing and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

(BTW I really enjoyed your interview over at Foodlover's.:) )

43. Chefanie says:

Now that is a good idea!! Smart! Smart Smart!

44. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

Oh my word does this look incredible. I'd have to hide the jar or I might eat it all! :)

45. briarrose says:

Awesome creativity in coming up with this one. So much love for this creation.

46. Happy When Not Hungry says:

Wow this looks delicious and so creamy! What a great idea too :-)

47. Tiffany says:

You are not only an amazing chef and one of the wittiest food bloggers I know, but you're an inventor too!!!!!! You should patent this! Seriously! :D

48. 1kimkelly@gmail.com says:

Brilliant!! What an amazing spread… I think it could be dangerous around my house as I'm not sure I'd be able to control myself. The possibilities of use are simply endless!! Love it!

49. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

This looks amazing

50. Lemons and Anchovies says:

This is one of the most awesome recipes I've seen posted lately. I've never seen white chocolate peanut butter anywhere. Love the idea of it. :-)

51. Jennifer says:

Oh my goodness, Carolyn, I want to make this soon! It sounds over-the-top yummy!!

52. Jennifer says:

P.S. It probably would be helpful to weigh the cocoa butter to make it more accurate. It's difficult to measure 2 tbsp of solid cocoa butter.

53. Carolyn says:

Excellent point, Jennifer. I actually melted it first and then measured it out from there, but by weight would have been easier!

54. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

wow, this sounds amazing! Well done – great creation!

55. Claudie says:

I love white chocolate, so I'm really looking forward to trying out this recipe! :)

56. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan says:

Oh, lordy lordy. White chocolate is my favorite sweet flavor, and nut butter is my favorite salty flavor, so this could NOT be more perfect for me. Love that you use erythritol too; not enough people even know what it is!

57. Jennifer says:

This was lovely, Carolyn. Check out my blog – I made a variation of your recipe. White Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge! Yummy!

58. I want to try this ASAP. I love PB&Co’s White Chocolate Wonderful, but would love to make my own. What cocoa butter do you recommend? I’ve never used it before and am baffled by the choices on Amazon.

59. Sounds yummy!! Especially since I love PB&J’s white and dark chocolate peanut butter! Have you tried looking for unsalted peanuts in Costco (or the equivalent) or on Amazon?