Parmesan Garlic Bubble Buns (Low Carb)

Yeast bread. It is the nemesis of many a baker, as it is finicky and often takes a deft and practiced hand to come out right. And it’s even trickier for those trying to go low carb. There is something nearly magical about the interplay of wheat flour and yeast, the way the gluten traps the gas created by the yeast, to make the dough rise so perfectly. It’s a daunting task to try to replicate this with alternative ingredients. But I was inspired to try a while ago by my good blogging friend, Roxana, of A Little Bit of Everything. She is a master of beautiful dinner rolls and other breads and I so wanted to make her Garlic Rolls that I just had to give it a go with my low carb specialty flour (Carbalose Flour*). I was successful, and I went on to use that same dough in several different variations.

So when Roxana asked me to guest post on her blog while she was away, I knew instantly what I wanted to make. I’d seen another gorgeous yeast bread creation, a savoury monkey bread flavoured with parmesan and garlic. I thought how perfect my low carb yeast dough would be for this sort of thing, and for those who don’t need to be low carb, they could use Roxana’s regular dough to create the same delicious treat. At first, I was going to make it into one big monkey bread, but we were on the go a lot this summer and it made sense to make little individual buns so that they could be packed into lunches. And lets face it, mini versions of large baked goods are just cuter!

I was thrilled with the result. The bread was tender and chewy, and full of garlic and parmesan flavour. Delicious! And I don’t doubt for a second that the results would be fantastic with Roxana’s regular dough. So I’d like to invite you on over to A Little Bit of Everything to check out the recipe. And while you’re there, check out all of the other wonderful treats Roxana’s blog has to offer!

A Little Bit of Everything

*Carbalose Flour is a wheat-based flour that is specially processed to be high fiber and low carb. I don’t use it all that often because of the cost and because I like to make a lot of my baked goods gluten free as well.

Comments

1. Roxana GreenGirl says:

Hi Carolyn,
    Thank you for sharing these delicious looking bubble buns on my blog today. My family has been drooling over your photos for a couple of days now, already asking when I'm going to make some for them!

2. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Just perfect for munching! My family would love these!

3. scratch-made wife says:

I was just told I have to go on a low-carb/high-protein/low-fat diet. Crazy, right? And the first thing I thought was, "Carolyn's going to be full of great inspiration!" These little buns look delicious. I'll have to see if I can find that flour your recommend. Thanks for being honest about the cost. That's one thing I'm fearing: This new lifestyle is going to cost me at the grocery store!

4. Beth Michelle says:

These looks so amazing. I have to keep an eye out for this low carb flour!!

5. Jill Colonna says:

Bubble buns? Love it – and especially with the parmesan. So healthy yet full of flavour too. Must give them a try. Thanks, Carolyn.

6. Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. says:

OMG! These are wonderful!

7. super cute, you are right….Thank's for pointing me to another great blog and for introducing me to Carbalose Flour – hmm… going to do a search for it – prob. an online purchase I suppose?

8. Gorgeous, Carolyn! I LOVE bubble rolls!

9. Carbalose flour is new to me – but the results tell me it should be sought! Yeast bread is a hit-and-miss proposition in my kitchen but I love the results – when it works. Plus – if it has Parmesan and garlic – I am enchanted.

10. Awww parmesan and garlic they go together! Love it.

11. How cute are these! Going to check them out now, great job!

12. Cookin' Canuck says:

Both versions, low-carb and regular, sound wonderful! The Parmesan makes these even more enticing.

13. thesmartcookiecook.com says:

These are just too cute! I love parmesan cheese, so I can just imagine how tasty they are. Thanks for sharing!

14. Carolyn,
    Your little bubble buns are too cute and look deicious.

I too, have to go on low carb/high protein. low/fat diet, too. I also thought I'd be reading your old posts for all of your valuable information. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to find the Carbalose flour and try the bubble buns!

15. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Sigh! This bread looks wonderful. Will look out for carbalose – sounds like a healthy alternative and I love the garlic/parmesan flavours.

16. Parsley Sage says:

HAAAAAAAAALLELUJAH! HAAAAAAAAALLELUJAH!

I cannot praise these puppies enough. They look absolutely scrumptious! And cute, let's not forget the high cute factor :) Buzzed

17. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

Thanks for sharing these Carolyn, they look so delicious and I love that you tell us how to make them low carb, they sound so good!

18. You are so creative and this looks and sounds so perfect for dinner! Thank you for sharing Carolyn!

19. Emily @ Life on Food says:

These look just amazing! I am a big fan of garlic. Heading over for the recipe!

20. Those are the cutest savory muffins. Yum.

21. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

I'm back again- loving your new design!!! oooh!

22. Lovely! You make yeast seem way less scary!!

23. These look delicious. I could eat the whole batch. Did you change your header or am I losing my mind? It's entirely possible I am losing my mind.

24. The Procrastobaker says:

Im going to make some savoury quick bread today but am really eager to try out a savoury yeast bread very soon. And i mean cheese n garlic…cant go wrong there really can you!! They look absolutely divine and so cute! Am definitely checking this recipe out :)

25. I read about this post from roxana @a little bit of everything
    good looking bun & healthy ingredients!
    tq for sharing the recipe with us carolyn ;)

26. spiceblogger says:

These really are beautiful. And they look delicious. THere's something about garlic and parmesan that make an intoxicating mix. LOVE :)

27. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking says:

These would be so much fun to pull apart and eat! Bubble buns…it's so much fun saying those words, too!

28. SweetSavoryPlanet says:

I love working with yeast breads and I love the bubble buns name! This looks delicious.

29. Great recipe!

Oh, I love the herbs in here with the sprinkling of Parmesan over the top. And how beautiful are those rolls. Yup, I'm headed over to Roxana's place to grab a bite of these. Thanks for guest posting while she's out of the country!

31. These look fantastic!! Love that they are low-carb too!!

32. These look so nice and light – I've never tried carbalose flour before, but will have keep an eye out for it.

33. These sound wonderful! Parmesan bubble buns would be perfect with a home made tomato soup!

34. Nicole @ Bake Me Blush says:

Those bubble buns look seriously addictive… I doubt I'd be able to eat just one. They definitely look tender and chewy, and at the perfect moisture too. Very, very tempting!

35. Beloved Green says:

These do look like they have turned out amazingly! Such a great balance.

36. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

From the looks of those rolls I think I could eat them all day!
    Love the new site look :)

37. Congrats on the Top 9 for your guest post!!!! xo

38. Congrats on the top 9 today!

39. I also love the magic of yeast baking. I also love working the yeast as it is so sensual and relieves stress. And these rolls are fabulous! Love the flavors, love the texture. Perfect!

40. I am terrified of yeast, but these make me want to try again! They look wonderful…parmesan and garlic is such a great combo!

41. Such pretty little buns. These turned out beautifully.

42. What beautiful little buns. I will be a hero soon – I've got company coming! :)

43. Russell at Chasing Delicious says:

These buns look scrumptious! I love the flavors. I'm definitely trying these soon.

44. Tres Delicious says:

Thanks for sharing this, looks really nice. Your buns are to die for.
    Feel free to check out my site am giving away a free designer's lunch bag this week.

45. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I just saw your recipe on Top 9 too! These garlic Parmesan bubble buns look amazing… I know I can't stop eating once I start eating these. I love the pictures too!

46. Looks yummy! Can't go wrong with parmesan and garlic :)

47. The Slow Roasted Italian says:

These look amazing, I can almost smell them… YUM!!!

48. RavieNomNoms says:

Carolyn! These look SO good! To die for actually. You did a fantastic job! Congrats on the Top 9…extremely well deserved!!

49. Magic of Spice says:

These are absolutely wonderful…great guest post :)

50. DessertForTwo says:

Yum!

Love the new website look too :)

51. I've yet to make bread … I'm scared of yeast! But these bubble buns are calling my name!

52. Thanks for the link. I love parmesan rolls. Winning!

53. Oh, those look awesome! I love making yeast bread, but I’ve often waved a tearful goodbye to it when trying to eat low-carb. Now I can have my yeast bread and eat it, too! I can’t wait to try them.

BTW, do you know if Carbalose is the same as CarbQuik? Just wondering.

• It’s not the same, actually. They are made by the same company, but Carbalose is just the flour, whereas Carbquick is like Bisquick, with added leavening and salt and such. You could try it, but I am not quite sure how it will work.

54. “A Little Bit of Everything” link to this recipe says permission forbidden .. I would love to make these! Great blog Karen Johansen

55. Susan lynch says:

Hi, these sound wonderful, and I’d like to make them for thanksgiving , but I was wondering if you had ever made it without rolling them into little balls. Was wondering if they would work as a regular style dinner roll. I have so many other things to do and I’d like to skip that step, but I don’t want to mess them up.

• I have not made it that way and I think you’re only issue with doing it is going to be how to get enough of the parmesan garlic into them. I think they will bake up just fine.

• Susan lynch says:

I’ll try it, I had thought about adding 1/2 of the parm mixture to dough before the first rise, then add the rest on top, I just haven’t used carbolose flour so I wasn’t sure about how it would rise, but my fingers will be crossed!