Chicken Tikka Masala (Low Carb)

I am happy to report that is once again time for a Secret Recipe Club Reveal.  I know I’ve expressed my love for this cooking club from its very inception.  I am getting to know so many great blogs and it also gets me to expand my horizons and try new things.  I almost always make the recipe with a few tweaks, things that might suit my own or my family’s taste a little better.   And sometimes I do a full recipe overhaul, to make a low carb, gluten free version.  But I try to stay true to the spirit of the recipe, no matter what, and replicate the overall dish as best I can.  With everything I’ve got going on right now, it can feel like a bit of a burden to do this monthly cooking club.  But every single month, I find I’ve enjoyed the process and that I am glad I did it.  Now that’s the sign of a great cooking club.

This month I was assigned Deelicious Sweets.  I have know Dee’s blog for a while now, through Foodbuzz, and I’ve often thought she does a lovely job and posts great recipes.  I know she’s also a hard core yoga instructor.  She can twist her body into such crazy positions that just looking at her makes this inflexible, needs-to-do-more-stretching runner wince in pain!  Seriously, people, go check out her blog…for the recipes AND the pretzel-like positions.  You’ll be glad you did.

It really didn’t take me long to settle on a recipe to make from her blog.  I had some chicken breast in the fridge and hadn’t decided what to make with it for dinner.  A quick glance at her recipe index and chicken tikka masala jumped right out at me.  I love Indian cuisine, with its intense, aromatic flavours, and I needed just a few quick items from the grocery store to make this recipe.  I was fairly certain it wouldn’t go over too well with my kids, so I didn’t even bother to try them on it.  They ate some plain chicken and once they were in bed, Mom and Dad had a little chicken tikka masala feast.

The Results:  Overall, I was really pleased with this dish.  I did change a few little things from Dee’s recipe, including adding a jalapeno to kick up the heat, and browning the chicken a bit before adding the coconut milk.  Both my husband and I loved the flavour, it was fantastic.  My only “complaint”, if I were to have one, is that it ended up a bit too saucy for me.  I don’t eat mine over any rice (obviously), and there was a lot of liquid here.  Mind you, it was very flavourful liquid, but there was just a bit too much of it for me.  My husband does eat his over rice and he thought there was a bit too much as well.  So for my version of the recipe, I have excluded the additional water and I think that will help solve the issue for me next time.

**I don’t think I can claim this one as gluten free, as the curry paste I used does not specifically state that it is GF.

Chicken Tikka Masala
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeeld and minced
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup tikka masala curry paste
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 14-oz can coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until shimmering.  Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.  Add jalapeno and ginger and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add chicken and curry paste and stir well to coat chicken.  Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is almost cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes in their juice and the coconut milk.  Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves and serve.

Serves 6.  Each serving has a total of 11.1 g of carbs and 2.3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 8.8 g

Comments

1. I love these flavors. This is a beautiful dish, Carolyn!

2. One of my favorite dishes! Great choice for SRC! I too find that it is sauce overload and we eat it over rice. Next time I will leave out the water as well. Although, there are times the extra sauce comes in handy like when we use it for a leftover curry bake.

3. Love chicken tikka masala! The gravy looks extremely delicious.

4. Indian cuisine is one of my favorites, as well. I'll have to give this a try. Also wanted to say that the SRC sounds FUN!

5. This looks great. Can I make it with veggies only?

6. Such a quick, easy version of chicken tikka masala! I came thisclose to buying tikka masala at the grocery store yesterday. It's going on my list for today!

7. this looks so good! I want to try this!

8. You picked an absolutely delicious dish! I'm curious as to whether it was just to much sauce period or as to whether the sauce was too liquidy and would have been better if thickened up a bit.

9. I love Tikka Masala, this looks great! Dee has so many great things on her site too!

10. This looks like a great recipe for one of my favorite. Pinning it!

11. looks delicious

12. Is there a way I link my recipe to the list – for some reason it gives me an error msg
    thxs

13. food_dreamer says:

The sauce was nice and thick, there was simply too much of it.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

14. I've been wanting to make chicken tikka masala for so long. I don't know why I've yet to try it. I think I'm finally going to step up and give this recipe a try. Looks scrumptious!

15. I do like tikka masala and I like it spicy.

16. Yeah, I wouldn't be making this for my kids, either….but what a yummy dish for me :) Fun dish for the SRC!

17. That looks delish. I always love finding additional chicken recipes I can try.

18. Lovely! One of my favorite Indian dishes. One day I want to join the SRC! it looks like so much fun each month.

19. This sounds absolutely delicious. I love foods with exotic flavors.

20. Love this recipe! So full of beautiful flavors:-) Hugs, Terra

21. This sure looks A LOT better than the chicken curry I by the umm..diet company I had to try. lol I love Tiki Masala…always look forward to the classic dishes you make healthy for us :) Great SRC choice! BTW, could you send me your page via SU?

22. Gluten Free says:

I like your passion! I checked the site. Really it made me obsessed. Love your recipe as well :)

23. Wow that looks super delicious. Maybe I can convince my husband with this dish. ;-)

24. Gotta love a good chickin tikka masala and this one looks great!

25. RavieNomNoms says:

I like that you kicked up the heat a bit. I am always a fan of spicier dishes. Looks really great! I have never tried to make this, but I think this might be a recipe I save to try!

26. I have seen this dish floating around and keep meaning to try it…yours looks delish and I am bookmarking it now! Great pick!

27. Shumaila says:

I love chicken tikka masala. The recipe is quite different from what I generally have seen. We do not add coconut milk. But I love coconut milk in my curries, so I am sure this must have tasted great, nonetheless. I generally have my tikka masala with naan, or parantha, so yes maybe leaving out the additional water might be better the next time. Great pick! I am hungry now!

28. food_dreamer says:

sure! I don't think you would cook it as long in the end if you don't have any chicken to cook through. But I bet it would taste great.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

29. food_dreamer says:

I've never made it before, but Dee's recipe was great. With or without coconut milk, I am sure it's a wonderful dish!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

30. Is there a particular brand of curry paste that you use?

31. This looks delicious! Lovely combination of flavors… Beautiful pictures, Carolyn!

I hope you don't mind me saying – in India, this dish does not contain coconut milk. Chicken Tikka Masala has a very thick sauce and I usually thicken it with double cream. :)

32. Also the chicken is marinated and grilled before going into the sauce… Will try to send you a recipe! :)

33. Chicken Tikka Masala is probably my favorite Indian (wellllll English really, but hey ho) dish. I would have picked it too. It looks fabulous, even if it was a bit too saucy for you.

34. Carolyn, Love this recipe!! I'm not familiar with Dee's blog, but now I'm eager to check it out. This is one of those dishes that I just could eat for days.

35. What a nice recipe! I am planning to make something Indian one sometime soon, but I ran out of yogurt or sour cream, and now I see that I could also use coconut milk for the curry. That's such a nice idea :-). Looks like I have one more recipe from your blog that I have to make!

36. food_dreamer says:

I used Patak's.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

37. food_dreamer says:

No, I don't mind you saying at all. It was for the SRC, so I used the recipe from Dee's blog.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

38. This dish looks so easily doable when too often we shy away from Indian cuisine. I love the sound of it with the addition of the coconut milk. Yes, a great pick!

39. I absolutely adore chicken tikka masala and love the smell in the house when I make it.

40. Chicken Tikka Masala is my husband's favorite and he would love all the extra sauce so I'm going to give this one a try.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

41. A great healthy way to serve up an Indian classic :)

42. This looks so good. I've never made it at home and I have no excuse. I will try this one. :)

43. I may have to take that complaint and run with it. I love saucy dishes and everything in this sounds wonderful. I love that the SRC gets us to try so many new dishes we normally wouldn't.

44. I'm always hungry after I stop by here! This looks so good…all I can think about is spicy, saucy goodness…Theresa

45. A fun choice for your SRC participation. I love chicken tikka masala and your sauce looks fantastic!! YUM!!

46. I love chicken tikka masala….when we have it out they also add some green pepper to it. Yours looks yummy!

47. This is my favorite Indian dish. I love the sauce and drink it like water after I am done with all of the chicken.

48. Having to watch my blood sugars while pregnant – my husband made this dish for me last night with some salad and mashed cauliflower (to sop up the sauce) and it was delish! My blood sugar only rose modestly at 1 hour (106). Thanks for the great inspiration!

1. […] about some Chicken Tikka Masala to serve with the Naan? This recipe from All Day I Dream About Food is […]