Chicken Tikka Masala (Low Carb)

I am happy to report that is once again time for a Secret Recipe Club Reveal.  I know I’ve expressed my love for this cooking club from its very inception.  I am getting to know so many great blogs and it also gets me to expand my horizons and try new things.  I almost always make the recipe with a few tweaks, things that might suit my own or my family’s taste a little better.   And sometimes I do a full recipe overhaul, to make a low carb, gluten free version.  But I try to stay true to the spirit of the recipe, no matter what, and replicate the overall dish as best I can.  With everything I’ve got going on right now, it can feel like a bit of a burden to do this monthly cooking club.  But every single month, I find I’ve enjoyed the process and that I am glad I did it.  Now that’s the sign of a great cooking club.

This month I was assigned Deelicious Sweets.  I have know Dee’s blog for a while now, through Foodbuzz, and I’ve often thought she does a lovely job and posts great recipes.  I know she’s also a hard core yoga instructor.  She can twist her body into such crazy positions that just looking at her makes this inflexible, needs-to-do-more-stretching runner wince in pain!  Seriously, people, go check out her blog…for the recipes AND the pretzel-like positions.  You’ll be glad you did.

It really didn’t take me long to settle on a recipe to make from her blog.  I had some chicken breast in the fridge and hadn’t decided what to make with it for dinner.  A quick glance at her recipe index and chicken tikka masala jumped right out at me.  I love Indian cuisine, with its intense, aromatic flavours, and I needed just a few quick items from the grocery store to make this recipe.  I was fairly certain it wouldn’t go over too well with my kids, so I didn’t even bother to try them on it.  They ate some plain chicken and once they were in bed, Mom and Dad had a little chicken tikka masala feast.

The Results:  Overall, I was really pleased with this dish.  I did change a few little things from Dee’s recipe, including adding a jalapeno to kick up the heat, and browning the chicken a bit before adding the coconut milk.  Both my husband and I loved the flavour, it was fantastic.  My only “complaint”, if I were to have one, is that it ended up a bit too saucy for me.  I don’t eat mine over any rice (obviously), and there was a lot of liquid here.  Mind you, it was very flavourful liquid, but there was just a bit too much of it for me.  My husband does eat his over rice and he thought there was a bit too much as well.  So for my version of the recipe, I have excluded the additional water and I think that will help solve the issue for me next time.

**I don’t think I can claim this one as gluten free, as the curry paste I used does not specifically state that it is GF.

Chicken Tikka Masala
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeeld and minced
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup tikka masala curry paste
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 14-oz can coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until shimmering.  Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.  Add jalapeno and ginger and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add chicken and curry paste and stir well to coat chicken.  Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is almost cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes in their juice and the coconut milk.  Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves and serve.

Serves 6.  Each serving has a total of 11.1 g of carbs and 2.3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 8.8 g

Comments

1. says

One of my favorite dishes! Great choice for SRC! I too find that it is sauce overload and we eat it over rice. Next time I will leave out the water as well. Although, there are times the extra sauce comes in handy like when we use it for a leftover curry bake.

2. says

Such a quick, easy version of chicken tikka masala! I came thisclose to buying tikka masala at the grocery store yesterday. It's going on my list for today!

3. says

You picked an absolutely delicious dish! I'm curious as to whether it was just to much sauce period or as to whether the sauce was too liquidy and would have been better if thickened up a bit.

4. says

I've been wanting to make chicken tikka masala for so long. I don't know why I've yet to try it. I think I'm finally going to step up and give this recipe a try. Looks scrumptious!

5. says

This sure looks A LOT better than the chicken curry I by the umm..diet company I had to try. lol I love Tiki Masala…always look forward to the classic dishes you make healthy for us :) Great SRC choice! BTW, could you send me your page via SU?

6. RavieNomNoms says

I like that you kicked up the heat a bit. I am always a fan of spicier dishes. Looks really great! I have never tried to make this, but I think this might be a recipe I save to try!

7. says

I have seen this dish floating around and keep meaning to try it…yours looks delish and I am bookmarking it now! Great pick!

8. Shumaila says

I love chicken tikka masala. The recipe is quite different from what I generally have seen. We do not add coconut milk. But I love coconut milk in my curries, so I am sure this must have tasted great, nonetheless. I generally have my tikka masala with naan, or parantha, so yes maybe leaving out the additional water might be better the next time. Great pick! I am hungry now!

9. says

This looks delicious! Lovely combination of flavors… Beautiful pictures, Carolyn!

I hope you don't mind me saying – in India, this dish does not contain coconut milk. Chicken Tikka Masala has a very thick sauce and I usually thicken it with double cream. :)

10. says

Chicken Tikka Masala is probably my favorite Indian (wellllll English really, but hey ho) dish. I would have picked it too. It looks fabulous, even if it was a bit too saucy for you.

11. says

What a nice recipe! I am planning to make something Indian one sometime soon, but I ran out of yogurt or sour cream, and now I see that I could also use coconut milk for the curry. That's such a nice idea :-). Looks like I have one more recipe from your blog that I have to make!

12. says

This dish looks so easily doable when too often we shy away from Indian cuisine. I love the sound of it with the addition of the coconut milk. Yes, a great pick!

13. says

I may have to take that complaint and run with it. I love saucy dishes and everything in this sounds wonderful. I love that the SRC gets us to try so many new dishes we normally wouldn't.

14. Cary says

Having to watch my blood sugars while pregnant – my husband made this dish for me last night with some salad and mashed cauliflower (to sop up the sauce) and it was delish! My blood sugar only rose modestly at 1 hour (106). Thanks for the great inspiration!

15. Karen says

Loved loved loved this recipe. It was quick and easy and the sauce was delicious. The jalepino just gave it that extra kick. Thank you for sharing