Easy and delicious, this low carb chocolate hazelnut mug cake is sure to satisfy all your cravings!
Sometimes a girl just wants cake. Wait, let me rephrase that. Sometimes a girl just needs cake. Sweet, warm chocolatey cake, the ultimate in comfort foods. Bonus points if it’s actually quite healthy but doesn’t taste even remotely like it. Extra bonus points if it takes all of, say, 15 minutes to make. No, I didn’t say 15 minutes to cook, I said 15 minutes to make. As in, from start to finish. As in, from the moment you get out your ingredients to the moment you put that first bite in your mouth. That’s the kind of cake I want in my life. N0, wait, let me rephrase that. That’s the kind of cake I need in my life.
I’ve seen recipes for mug cake many, many times. I don’t know why on earth I never tried it before. But I was inspired when assigned to A Little Nosh for this months’ Secret Recipe Club. Her Chocolate Mug Cake for Two seemed like just the thing I wanted to make. But obviously not with flour and sugar. It didn’t take a whole lot of thinking to make it over into a low carb, gluten free version, however. Mug cake is pretty much ideal for this kind of overhaul. It doesn’t have to come out of the mug, so there are no worries about it holding together. It doesn’t really even need to look very pretty, because all you can see is the very top and you can always plop some whipped cream on it to jazz it up a bit. And it comes out of the microwave so warm and, if you undercook it a bit, nice and gooey.
A Little Nosh is a wonderful blog and there are lots of healthy, creative recipes to browse. Amy is a working mom living in the DC suburbs with a tiny kitchen. I give her a big thumbs up for working in such a small space…I’ve been there and I know it’s not easy! So please be sure to head on over to her blog and check out her collection of recipes!
Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (and skinned, if you want)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated erythritol (I used Swerve)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp hazelnut oil (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp hazelnut or vanilla extract
- Grind hazelnuts in food processor until they resemble coarse meal. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Whisk in cocoa powder, erythritol, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in cream, oil, egg and hazelnut extract until batter is well-combined.
- Divide between 2 mugs and microwave each for about 1 minute. Remove and let cool a minute or two, then dig in!
Serves 2. Each serving has a total of 10.5 g of carbs and 6 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.5 g.