Perfect Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream

Yum

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream RecipePrepare to be AMAZED!  This is no ordinary low carb vanilla ice cream recipe.  Oh no, my friends, not at all.  This low carb vanilla ice cream has magical properties and should not be underestimated!  Sure, it looks like regular vanilla ice cream and tastes like regular vanilla ice cream.  It even behaves like regular vanilla ice cream.  And that, my dear readers, is exactly the point.  This ice cream recipe has the truly astonishing property of staying soft and scoopable, even after several days in the freezer.  And it’s entirely low carb, egg-free and has no added sugars, which makes it all the more astonishing.  If you’ve ever made your own ice cream at home, with or without sugar, you’ll understand what a feat this is.  Because homemade ice cream never stays as soft and scoopable as store-bought.  Until now.

I’ve had an ice cream maker for about 15 years now, so I’ve made my share of ice cream and this recipe is really a major achievement for me.  Homemade ice cream can be wonderful, but in my experience it almost always freezes rock solid after a few hours in the freezer and needs to be left to soften in the fridge for half an hour or so before it can be served.  This was the case even back in the day when I made my ice creams with sugar.  The first few helpings, served after an hour or so in the freezer, were perfect, but after that it was like trying to chip away at a glacier with a kitchen knife.  I also thought that to get the right consistency, ice cream had to be made with a significant amount of egg yolks, and I usually made  my ice cream base with 4 to 6 yolks, leaving me with a lot of orphaned egg whites that  needed to be used.  Although I’ve made some delicious flavours of ice cream, I despaired of ever making one that could stay soft for several days.

Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

This magical stay-soft low carb ice cream recipe came about through some serious experimentation.  It all started when I decided to make some Dulce De Leche ice cream (recipe to come at a later date), using my low carb sweetenened condensed milk.  Even as that one came out of the ice cream maker, I noted that the consistency was better than any I’d ever made.  And then I was completely floored when it stayed soft enough to scoop right out of the freezer, even three days later.  And as this particular recipe was entirely egg-free, I knew I’d hit on something really interesting.  I just had to figure out exactly what it was.

Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

So I commenced on an unseasonal bout of ice-cream making, trying a little more of this and a little less of that.  I tried a chocolate version, which was close but not quite there.  Then I decided to go for the all-time classic, vanilla ice cream, to see if I could replicate the qualities in a basic recipe.  I got it on the first try, and was so excited that I decided I had to post this recipe first, so you could all benefit from my experience.  I will tell you right now that the secret is a good amount of xanthan gum to thicken the base, and a bit of alcohol to help lower the freezing point.  If you can’t or don’t tolerate either of those things, then this might not be the recipe for you and I apologize about that.

It is, however, the recipe for me and I suspect I will use this as my base recipe for many ice cream recipes to come.  Enjoy!

Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream

Perfect Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream

Yield: 8 servings

Serving Size: About 1/2 cup

A rich homemade low carb vanilla ice cream recipe that stays soft and scoopable in the freezer for days.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and erythritol and bring to just a simmer.
  2. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in xanthan gum (don't worry if it gets a bit clumpy, it will smooth out when churned). Let cool 10 minutes.
  3. Transfer cream mixture to a bowl and whisk in Low Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk until smooth. Chill at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
  4. Stir in vodka and vanilla extract until combined.
  5. Pour into frozen canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions (I suggest churning for at least half an hour).
  6. Transfer to an airtight container, press plastic wrap flush to the surface, and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.

Notes

Serves 8. Each serving has 4.75g of carbs (fiber is negligible).

Comments

1. Gerri says

LC ice cream that’s not rock hard. Be still my heart! You should win an award. Until that happens, hope you’ll accept undying gratitude for this brillance (& your many others). Yum, another use for incredible sweetened condensed milk.

I’ve unsuccessfully added vodka, but clearly not enough & not using your method. Don’t care if there’s snow on the ground, time to make ice cream.

2. says

You amaze me with all your low-carb treats. I just made my first low-carb low-sugar cookies for Super Bowl yesterday because one of the guys was diabetic.

• Lola says

Carolyn, This is amazing and I’m going to make it tomorrow. (I don’t have enough cream right now to get started) LOL
      My question. Once the LC sweetened condensed milk is made and sat at room temp. What’s the shelf life? Should I make the same day? Can I place in refridgerator to cut my prep time for future baking? Just curious if I should use same day.

THANKS!

3. Margaret says

I would love it if recipes would, in addition to giving the amount of preferred sweetener in the ingredient list would also add ” to equal X amount of sugar”. We all have our favourite sweeteners and are familiar with the conversion from sugar to what we use. Especially when things call for a combo of a sweetener and some of the stevia products. I find stevia has an objectionable taste and so never use it so haven’t the foggiest notion of how much of another sweetener to use. I find it useful when sharing my own recipes and people seem to appreciate it. Thanks for the awesome recipes! From experience I can imagine the work and expense that they represent.

• Carolyn says

You may not find stevia objectionable, when it’s in combination with something like erythritol. That’s why I do both of them, because they enhance each others sweetness without much, if any, aftertaste.

In this particular recipe, since the swerve is cup for cup with sugar, you could easily swap 1/2 cup sugar or equivalent in the cream part. For the sweetened condensed milk, you really don’t have to add any more stevia, but the amount is about 1/4 tsp, which equals about 1/4 cup sugar.

HOpe that helps!

4. Karlise G says

Does the Swerve give it that weird almost fizzy feeling in your mouth like Splenda does? I like Splenda in small quantities but not in baked goods. Can you taste the vodka? I wonder if you could use flavored vodkas. Hmm.

• Carolyn says

I’ve never had any fizzy feeling from Swerve. I do not like Splenda at all. If people notice anything with erythritol, it’s a cooling sensation, but I don’t find that with Swerve at all. No…you can’t taste the vodka once it’s churned and you can use flavoured. I used vanilla!

• Batya says

Your mileage may vary — I find that I do get the cooling effect with Swerve, just as more of an aftereffect than simultaneous with the taste. I know what you mean about a fizzy effect from Splenda, and I find that with xylitol and erythritol I don’t get that at all.

5. Fran says

I just joined a while ago. You are a genius. Thank you so much for your continued experimenting and hard work! I was planning on making your sweetened condensed milk with almond milk in place of the whole milk. How well do you think the almond milk would translate into the ice cream? Think it would work ? I’m not sure of freezing points of the different milks. Thanks again.

6. says

Carolyn, your vanilla ice cream recipe looks totally wicked! I’ve read how syrups and vodka can help ice cream stay soft after freezing and I love how you thought to use your low carb sweetened condensed milk for this along with the vodka for an exceptional soft texture for your vanilla ice cream recipe. BRAVO! xo

7. says

Amazing. My daughter has been gluten free for 3 years now. It can be a tough diet to follow. I’m giving her your blog address! Following you also. Linda

8. Tom says

Thanks so much for this recipe. Can’t wait to try. I think it’s funny that you workedso hard on this and other rrecipes and so many people ask if other ingredientscould work iinstead of the ones you labored to perfect. With that in mind, I do have two questions:
    1 – Is heavy whipping cream the same as heavy cream? I can’t find just cream any where and people tell me they are the same thing.
    2 – Is vodka the best alcohol to use or do you think rum would also work?

Thank you again.

• Carolyn says

LOL, Tom, it’s okay. People have their preferences and I just do my best to suggest how to swap them in and out. It may or may not work, I can only guarantee success with the things I’ve tried myself. Whipping cream and heavy cream are the same thing. I use them interchangeably. And you could easily do rum here, although you will get a distinctive rum flavour, which isn’t a bad thing if you like rum!

9. says

Non-rock hard low carb ice cream??!! I was actually excited when I read this. :-D

A couple of years ago I tried and tried to get those results… gave up in frustration. Now I see I was not using near enough booze, LOL! Thank you so much for persevering until you got these great results. Can’t wait to try it. I can imagine all kinds of variations already, with bits of this or that added… cherry bits, or chocolate chips, or amaretto flavoring… oh dear. Gotta dust off my self-control, ha ha ha.

Again, thank you for all your creativity and hard work, and for sharing the results with the rest of us.

10. says

Good vanilla ice cream is the one thing that has eluded my diabetic husband’s search for the perfect topping to “his” sf-low carb fruit crumble. I think we have a score here. Thank you Carolyn, you’ve done it again. I may have to erect a shrine to you in my kitchen, LOL.

11. Catherine H. says

As soon as I saw this recipe yesterday, I got to work. I have been searching for the perfect low carb ice cream recipe for five years, so I was pretty eager. This morning, after freezing the churned recipe all night, I tasted it and discovered that it was still extremely goupy, stretchy, and sticky, like cold marshmallow fluff. It does not seem to have set up at all. I re-read the directions, and the only thing I did differently (other than slight changes to cooking/cooling times) was use orange liqueur in place of vodka. Could the liqueur have prevented the ice cream from getting firm? As you can imagine, I’m so disappointed!

• Carolyn says

No, I don’t think the orange liqueur would do that (although orange liqueur does contain sugar, which lowers the freezing point too…might make a small difference but not much). But mine did not come out that way at all…it comes out of the ice cream maker like that, but then freezes up. 2 questions…how long did you churn it and what temperature is your freezer? It should set just fine after a few hours and since I’ve made this recipe twice now, I have to think it either didn’t churn long enough OR your freezer is set too high and it’s not freezing properly. You also mentioned changes to cooking/cooling times? How much did you change those by?

• Carolyn says

You know what? Based on your experience, I am concerned that there is too much xanthan gum in the recipe. Since both the cream base and the condensed milk take xanthan gum, I think 1 tsp would be sufficient for the cream part. I’ve used more and still been successful, but I think if you change things like the alcohol for liqueur (which does contain sugar), it’s going to throw things off.

• Catherine H. says

That’s what I was thinking, too–that the liqueur would be more helpful than not in keeping the ice cream soft. In this case, perhaps too helpful. I only used it because I didn’t have vodka and my husband thought it would add a nice citrus flavor. The cooking/cooling differences were small things like accidentally letting the powdered erythritol/cream boil briefly before bringing it down to a simmer, and letting it cool for thirty minutes instead of just ten. I churned it for forty minutes, and it never got firmer. I don’t think my freezer has any problems, so your guess about the xanthan gum seems the likeliest. What would you recommend for fixing it? My first hope was to use the ice cream as a base to which to add more cream, and maybe dilute the xanthan already there and give it a chance to firm up. Do you think that could work? Should I do a regular custard base and mix that with this recipe as it is, and hope the two will balance each other?

• Carolyn says

I think the accidental boiling may have affected it a tiny bit too, because cream gets REALLY thick once boiled so it would change the consistency as well. I don’t think cooling for 30 minutes would make any difference at all though.
          I think your only chance at fixing it is to dilute it…maybe with whole milk instead of cream to help thin it out. I’d go for at least an additional cup, if not a cup and a half or two cups. I think a custard base isn’t going to help, since the point of a custard base is to be thick and we are trying to thin it out. But it’s all worth a try. And I am sorry about this! It was hard to get this right, but my biggest problem was having it still freeze too hard, not get all gooey like that. My chocolate version was so tasty, but definitely froze too hard to be scoopable.

• Carolyn says

My kids ate it! If you are worried about the alcohol, let me assure you that it adds up to 1/2 tbsp per serving, which isn’t enough to even buzz anyone. :) And I usually serve my kids closer to 1/3 cup, then 1/2 cup, so it’s even less.

12. Diana says

If adding the vodka lowers the freezing temperature why wouldn’t you put the eggs back in? Or am I missing something. That’s a good idea though, maybe we could use flavored rum instead..? yum!

• Carolyn says

You could do this with an egg-based custard, it’s just nice to have an egg-free recipe that’s easy to make like this. The egg custards take a lot of extra work!

13. Catherine H. says

Don’t worry–if it helps your other readers avoid my mistakes, it’s all worth it :). Final question: do you think just churning the whole milk into the cream in the ice cream maker would work, or should I cook it all together first, then re-churn it?

• Carolyn says

I can’t be certain it will work, but if I were doing this, I think I wouldn’t cook it, but I would whisk the milk into the ice cream until they were mostly combined, and then add it to the ice cream canister.

• Carolyn says

Honestly, I wouldn’t use this recipe. Sugar already reduces the freezing point and if you add in my amounts of xanthan gum and alcohol, you may end up with a goopy mess. My best suggestion is to find another vanilla ice cream recipe, one made with sugar, and then add 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and maybe a tbsp or two of vodka.

14. says

You are an ice cream genius! When I first got an ice cream maker way back when, I was discouraged because of the rock-hard freezing problem. I tried to take it in stride and eat as much as I could in one sitting, but after a few batches, the buttons and zipper on my pants didn’t really get along. I have some caramel vodka that I think would be perfect in this. Do you think the low carb sweetened condensed milk could be boiled to make a low carb dulce de leche?

15. says

Gee, Carolyn, what a feat you’ve accomplished there. I, like you, have experimented and experimented to no avail at trying to achieve a softer ice cream. Must be the condensed milk that is the magic here, because 8 yolks, booze and xanthan gum haven’t dine it for me. Congratulations to you, my friend!
    My problem is I just have never been able to eat anything made with condensed milk, so I may be doomed to dealing with harder ice cream at my house. :(

16. Carol says

I followed the recipe exactly (except I steeped 1/2 a vanilla bean in the cream) and thought i would share my results. After a couple of hours in the freezer ice cream was soft, soft-serve consistency, not much different from when I removed it from ice cream maker, after 24 hours it was unscoopably hard. Turned freezer up to slightly warmer setting and after 12 hours ice cream was soft enough to scoop again. Makes me think it might be quite sensitive to freezer temperature variations. Wish I had thought to take the ice cream’s temperature each time! Of course it is all gone now. Next batch!

• Carolyn says

Hi Carol…thanks for all of your experimenting! I have some cream that needs using up so I am going to try my hand at it again today or tomorrow, although I might make it chocolate flavour. I can’t quite figure out what’s going on, but obviously it is sensitive to freezer temp as you found. I am glad you found a way to make it work for you.

17. Colleen says

I can’t thank you enough! I just finished making your ice cream and even before the final 2 hour freeze, I can tell it’s going to be delicious!! I followed your recipe exactly (people who make changes and them complain crack me up!) and it turned out beautifully after 30 minutes of churning!! I can’t wait to see your future adaptations and to try some of my own (now that I know I can do your basic recipe!) Thank you sooooooo much!!

18. says

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

19. Diane says

I just made this Ice cream last night!! I am not sure what I did but the texture was different I may have used to much xanthan Gum It was a little bit chewy or something I only used 1 tablespoon of vodka instant of 1/4cup when in the ice cream machine I ran it for 1 hour and it was still very soft so I poured it into an air tight container and put it into the freezer over night ! The next day it was scoopeble and good but like I said early the texture was chewyish …. If that is even a word LOL.. So again not sure what I did right or wrong !But I will try it again!! Will let everyone know how the second batch works out!!! : )

20. Valerie says

Is this ok to give to kids, considering there is vodka? What does the vodka do for it? We don’t consume alcohol, would the recipe work with out it?

• Carolyn says

Alcohol lowers the freezing point of liquids, helping the ice cream stay soft. You can skip it if you like, but there is very little and I served it to my kids. It’s about a tsp per serving.

21. Barbara says

When I first make a recipe I follow instructions/ingredients very closely and measure everything. I used Now Healthy Foods Erythritol. Also used SweetLeaf SteviaClear. The double batch Condensed Milk recipe looked to come out perfectly (reduced to 2-cups) and tasted good, but when put in the fridge overnight was VERY gritty when cooled.

When I made the ice cream it called for powdered erythritol, so I ground what I had in a coffee grinder (and measured it after grinding).

The ice cream did not set up well in the churner, I finally froze it and it froze as hard as a brick (and still was very gritty). Does the Sweetened Condensed Milk need to be freshly made and not refrigerated before making the ice cream? Maybe has to even be warm when added to the ice cream mixture?

Does the Condensed milk usually get gritty after it cools? It came out to the correct 2 cups after reducing and tasted great. Thanks for any help/ideas.

Hi Barbara,

My condensed milk is often refrigerated and never becomes gritty so I think it has to be the brand, since I use Swerve. I just can’t vouch for any of the other brands of erythritol. Powdering your erythritol in a coffee grinder will only go so far. The commercial powdered varieties (again, I used Swerve) are so fine they are almost like dust.

The condensed milk does not have to be warm when added to the cream mixture. Mine wasn’t. Also, not sure what you mean by it did not set up well in the churner? Mine got like the consistency of soft serve, but it was also quite gummy from the xanthan.

From other people’s comments, I’ve come to realize that this recipe (which has now worked perfectly for me 3 or 4 times) is very sensitive to freezer temperature and other small factors. So I am very sorry that it didn’t work as it should have.

• Barbara says

Thanks so much for your help. I’m going to buy both types of Swerve, because I love trying your recipes! Do you know how cold your freezer is? I have two and could set them differently. Am I correct that you use the regular Swerve (granulated) in the Condensed Milk and the Powered Swerve in the ice cream? Am I correct that they would measure differently? I am on a quest for ice cream;-) and I know chocolate introduces all kinds of other factors, so am working on the vanilla first. Thanks again.

• Carolyn says

I have used both the granulated and the powdered in the condensed milk….i used powdered when I ran out of granulated. Both should work. The powdered in the ice cream itself is best. I honestly don’t know the exact temp of my freezer, and am away from home right now but I can look in a few days!

• Lisa says

No problem with the condensed milk (recipe quite ingenious, actually), but this ice cream was a failure for me, too. Also routinely use Swerve (I’ve been buying erythritol, and cooking lowcarb for a decade). Alas, results can be inconsistent, depending upon the application. It’s the standard problem of grittiness (regardless of brand). Pity.

• Carolyn says

I don’t find any grittiness with the Swerve. Most other people had issues with the consistency of the ice cream. Did you find that?

• Carolyn says

And all of your feedback is appreciated. I have tried this several times and it does seem very sensitive to the temperature of one’s freezer.

• Carolyn says

I made the sweetened condensed milk with Swerve and it became VERY grainy when it cooled. I’m nervous about putting it into ice cream. Any way to fix the texture?

• Carolyn says

I don’t think there is any way to fix it at this point but I find it strange because I always make mine with Swerve and don’t find it grainy at all.

22. Shel says

Thanks! Bought an ice cream maker for this and it was worth it. Amazingly, crazy creamy. I keep my freezer cold enough that it did harden up overnight. Which is good, because it slows me down when I think I’ll have just a little more.

23. Kim says

Alcohol-free substitutes – Absolutely LOVE this recipe and am so grateful for the time and experimentation it took to perfect it! I figured that the Vodka was added to make the TEXTURE smooth and creamy… I don’t have the luxury of cooking with ANY alcohol (boo-hoo) and figured I’d try egg yolks instead. Being the extremist that I am, rather than start with ONE egg yolk, (if one is good, 2 is better! NOT) I added two egg yolks and a teaspoon of vanilla beans. FABULOUS flavor, but WAAAAY to eggy… at this point, with so much invested, I couldn’t give up, so I thought that a cup of food-processed strawberries might cut the “egginess”. BINGO… The ice cream was GONE in 2 minutes flat and everyone was begging for more!!!! Thank you so much for the base recipe!!!

24. Kim says

Also, for the record, couldn’t find Swerve in my rural area… I used “Nutresse” instead and it worked beautifully. Although I’m too mentally challenged to figure out the carb content using the “Nutresse”, I feel in my soul that it has a lower carb content than “Blue Bell”, so for me, I’m waaay ahead of the game…. Thanks again, Carolyn….

25. Shirley Ho says

Hi Carolyn,

Anyway to turn this recipe into chocolate ice-cream too? Can I reduce the amount of vodka? Because I don’t drink alcohol at all and feel like the vodka going straight to my head really fast even with just one TSP of this ice-cream. By the way, I don’t have an ice-cream maker but tried this recipe last night with my Ninja food processor (1500 watts).

26. Jessie says

Thank you for this, I can’t stand eggs or anything made with them, including french vanilla ice cream! I made this and like someone else mentioned, it had a very thick, chewy texture. I used plain eurythritol (never heard of Swerve), and followed the recipe exactly. After chilling but before churning, it was solid and gooey, halfway between custard and a can of regular condensed milk – no, I know, it was the texture of soft, triple cream Brie. My thought was “way too much xanthan gum”. I was also concerned about the 2 cups of cream (vs half cream, half milk in traditional recipes) but went with it. I also thought it was too sweet. I thought it might be too thick for my machine, but it did manage to churn for the full 20 minute program at which point, it was not frozen in the least. I just put it in the freezer along with about a third of the recipe that had not fit in the machine. Both of these had the exact same scoopability when frozen, but had that too thick, chewy texture. Even as it warmed up on our pecan pie, it never melted but was like eating spoonfuls of Brie. The flavor was delicious, the vodka not detectable at all, and it had no grittiness but it did have the characteristic “cool-water” mouthfeel of eurythritol. For my next try (I WILL be working with this recipe as I too have been plagued with rock-hard sugar-free ice cream attempts), here is what I will change: will make the “condensed milk” per that recipe but in the actual ice cream recipe, will change the two cups of heavy cream to 1 C cream, 1 C milk, leave out the 1/2 C eurythritol completely (I prefer less sweet and the condensed milk is already so sweet), and reduce the xanthan gum to 1/4 tsp. I’ll try to remember to update my outcome with these changes.

• Brenda says

Somebody help! Whew! My low carb sweetened condensed milk is so so sweet it blows the top of my head off. Did I do something wrong? Cooked too long or too fast? It did more than simmer a bit. I’m new at this. I shudder at the thought of adding another 1/2 C to the ice cream itself. Do I need to add it? Pleasantly sweet is excellent, but I’m afraid this will ruin my batch. Freezing? Will it freeze harder? Should I freeze in cupcake papers?
      Help! How long can I wait for an answer? LOL

• Carolyn says

I don’t know if you did something wrong but the sweetened condensed milk is not usually that sweet. So something got messed up. I would make up the ice cream mixture without any additional sweetener and then taste it and see what you think. It won’t affect the freezing process.

• Brenda says

Thanks so much for the response. That’s what I did and I was so concerned about this problem that I then forgot the Xanthan gum (heavy sign) and decided to add blueberries. It’s purple, and gooy. And in the freezer. Will let you know. This cooking stuff is harder than one would think. You’re my hero (ine)

• Brenda says

Yay!!! It worked beautifully even with my mistakes and addition of blueberries! I was doubtful of the sweetness, the artificial sugar aftertaste, & whether I had ruined it by allowing the sweetened cream to boil a bit. At two hours in the freezer I was still skeptical. It was still very gooy in the Center but was a bit hopeful because it was freezing around the edge. After 4 hours in the freezer, it was scoopable, creamy, not grainy at all and no aftertaste. Perfect after dinner dessert! I’m so excited! Thank you Carolyn! The only difficult part was standing at the stove for an hour and a half to stir. I wonder if those little stirrer thingies that you can set in the pot really work. Alas, I think it would have overflowed if left unattended. I must get better at simmering. LOL thanks again

• Brenda says

Even my husband liked it. He’s a carb freak and eats minimal sf items. He did say it was very sweet. It far more positive assessment than the first vanilla IC I made. It was rather bland and extremely hard. Impossible to scoop. Couldn’t resist a 2nd bowl late last night. Ouch all those fat calories from the cream. It was firm frozen within 6 hrs but still scoopable. Last questions:
            1. any idea what the nutrition numbers are for the fat content and protein per 1/2 cup serving? I know cream is 50 calories per 2 tablespoons. Ouch! You did list the carb count at almost 4.75 mg.

2. if I added DaVinci sf flavouring will that change the freezability since it would add liquid?

3. what about dry sf jello sprinkled in? Or cookie chunks?

4. Can the vodka listed as 2T in other recipes be increased to 1/4 cup without ruining the entire batch? (Sorry for all the questions but I’m new at this.)

Thanks, Brenda.

• Carolyn says

I think all of your subs and changes would be fine, although the more vodka would make it even softer. I don’t have time to run the nutritional counts on this but you can put the ingredients into myfitnesspal and it should give you the info.

• Carolyn says

I have one of those “little stirrer thingies” you set in the pot. I tried using it for this and found there were two problems. One, the stirrer only stirs the bottom of the pot. This recipe tends to form a crust on the top which prevents evaporation. I had to manually stir the top every five minutes for the first half hour or so anyway. Two, the stirrers are battery operated and my batteries ran out before the milk was reduced by half.

• Carolyn says

Btw, the Carolyn above with the stirrer is not the blog’s author, just another reader.

• Brenda says

Thank you, Carolyn. I’ll say my $$$$. One last update on my batch. FYI. It did ultimately freeze pretty hard but was manageable in little bits at a time. Tasted very good in any case. BTW, it was pretty gooey after 30 minutes in the machine. I use the IC bowl for the kitchen aid pro 600

27. Sheryl says

THANK YOU! Finally finally finally found a sugar-free ice cream recipe that is made for someone like me. Type 2 for the past 2 years; struggling to stay with low-carb eating—but when I do eat right, my glucose and cholesterol and weight fall right into line. Unfortunately, can’t stand the taste of eggs so right there, any recipe with a significant portion of egg is not for me, and low-carb recipes are often dependent on eggs. Here, you’ve created ice cream that is NOT eggally-dependent, and which DOES use dairy, which I am able to enjoy since I am not following paleo. Now if you would only move into my neighborhood and set up a home-chef business :- )

28. says

I make a lot of ice-cream too and came across your website looking for low-carb ideas. The reason why this recipe stays soft is because you put vodka in it. We always put a couple of caps of a suitable alcohol into our ice-cream so that we can dish it up. For instance, in chocolate icecream we usually put a bit of coffee liqueur. Alcohol has a higher freezing temperature than the other ingredients which is why it helps. Happy ice-cream eating!

29. Seagal says

Phooey! Went back & forth copying the recipe and going to the condensed milk site, looking forward to making this wonderful recipe.

Bummer, I don’t have an ice cream maker:( Guess I didn’t read the instructions very well. Tempted to try it in freezer bowls anyway.

• Carolyn says

Give it a try. I know many people who make ice cream without a maker, you just have to prepared to stir a lot during the freezing process.

30. jessica says

Hello Carolyn,

I am loving your blog. However, I am not eating heavy cream, I am on a low fat, low carb, no sugar diet. Can I use a replacement for the heavy cream? Fat free greek yogurt, fat free quark, cottage cheese, just milk, gelatin, or even maybe egg whites? Do you think it would work?
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!

• Carolyn says

Hi Jessica…you may certainly try but you will find that it freezes very hard. I am on a low carb, high fat diet, so those are the recipes I create.

31. Michelle Dickman says

I’m in the middle of making this right now. Just finished step 3.

I have a vanilla bean I would love to use, am I too late to add it?

BTW, you are the most amazing foodie I have ever followed. I’ve sent your site to everyone I could think of… Thank you for giving we diabetics a safe way to have something sweet.

• Debbie says

When making the low carb sweetened condensed milk, can we make large batches of it to use in future recipes? And what is the shelf life? In the refrigerator or can we freeze some?

• Carolyn says

No, I wouldn’t make large batches. It can refrigerated for about a week and doesn’t freeze well

32. Trisha T. says

Holy moly! Living in Florida where the temps have been in the 100s, I have been dying for a great low carb ice cream. I thought that the egg custard type would have been great, but waaay too rich and hard as a rock. This one is AMAZING! I did substitute unsweetened vanilla almond milk for the whole milk hoping that it wouldn’t ruin it. I didn’t! Creamy deliciousness. My eternal gratitude…you rock!

33. jo says

Oh, this was a delicious finish to tonight’s Christmas Eve dinner tonight! Accompanied with the caramel sauce: divine! Of course, d@*m it, in the midst of company and dinner and such things, I forgot to add the vodka before churning, so I’m going to be to be microwaving it for 30 seconds for the several servings. But really yummy!

34. tiffany says

I just made this and it is super good!
    I had the weird graininess problem too. Mine happened when I mixed the cream and the condensed milk and refrigerated overnight, when I put it in the mixer it had crunchy little chunks at that point. It didn’t effect the flavor at all, just the texture.

35. Wendywoman says

I’m sober so vodka is not an option, even in small amounts. Is there any other substitution I can make that would render similar results?

• Carolyn says

No, not really. But it will still be great ice cream, it may just be a little more icy when it’s been frozen for a while. One thing to do is to divvy it up into single serving containers right after it’s made, so that you only need to let that little bit thaw every time.

1. […] No sugar added and no eggs. Yes I am amazed by this astonishing recipe! This vanilla ice cream is low carb and its taste and condition is exactly the same as any other normal vanilla ice cream! To achieve the low carb, we replace sugar by powdered Swerve Sweetener or powdered erythritol. Also we use low carb sweetened condensed milk instead of normal condensed milk. All the ingredients we are going to use is easy to find in grocery stores. If you are looking for a low carb and easy-made ice cream, this should be your choice! At alldayidreamaboutfood.com […]