Better-Than-Mounds Chocolate Coconut Cups – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

No-bake low carb chocolate coconut cups that are ridiculously easy to make. These sugar-free treats give Mounds Bars a run for their money and they are good for you!

Low Carb Chocolate Coconut Cups

This may sound a little crazy but easy is actually very difficult for me. Not in my day-to-day life, where I prefer the easy way of doing things as much as possible. But in my kitchen life, I have a tendency to gravitate towards the more difficult, with multiple steps and many moving parts. I think I was always this way when it came to desserts and baking, because I love a challenge and who doesn’t want a quadruple layer cake with chocolate mousse-filling and raspberry frosting? It’s the Cheesecake Factory-syndrome, where we begin to believe that all desserts should be towering creations of epic proportions. I am a sucker for these kinds of desserts and now my only option is to make them from scratch in a low carb, sugar-free format. So sometimes I forget that simple can be just as good or even better than the more complicated.

No Bake Low Carb Chocolate Coconut Cups

These little coconut candy cups are a case in point. They didn’t turn out at all the way I intended but by god, they are delicious! So good, in fact, that I’ve already made them twice this week. I had originally planned for them to be truffles, rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate. See? Multiple steps. But my filling did not cooperate. It was too soft when warm but it firmed up too quickly in the fridge to be rolled. So I remelted it and spooned it into little mini-muffin cups, froze it for a little bit and then simply topped it with the chocolate coating. I get all the great flavour of chocolate and coconut together, with minimal fuss or muss.

Low Carb Homemade Mounds Candy

In the low carb world, these little treats might also be known as “fat bombs”. Yes, it’s a detestable name but they do serve the excellent and delicious purpose of filling you up with good healthy fats so you don’t find yourself gobbling down the carbs in a moment of weakness. And having just come home from a Disney vacation where I probably ate a few more carbs than normal, it was nice to have these little treats to satisfy my cravings. I will say, I find them addictive in and of themselves. The mix of coconut butter and coconut oil is so good, I found I hardly needed to sweeten the filling much. And my husband, who has a soft spot for Mounds, loves them too. With both of us munching on them, it’s no wonder I had to make them twice already. And they are ridiculously easy to whip up. You can even simply melt some sugar-free chocolate for the topping, instead of making it from scratch. I used Lily’s on my second go-round and it barely changed the carb or other nutritional counts (I think the calories went up by 1 per candy).

Easy Low Carb Chocolate Coconut Cups

I am linking this recipe up to my dear friend, Roxana’s, monthly Chocolate Party. For April, the “secret ingredient” was coconut. Um, I think I nailed it! Check out the fun recipes over at Roxana’s Chocolate Party!

Better-Than-Mounds Chocolate Coconut Candies

Yield: 20 mini cups

Serving Size: 2 mini cups

Better-Than-Mounds Chocolate Coconut Candies

Sweet no-bake coconut cups with a layer of dark chocolate. These low carb, sugar-free treats give Mounds a run for their money!

Ingredients

Instructions

1. For the candies, line a mini-muffin pan with 20 mini paper liners (I recommend parchment ones for true non-stick).
  2. Combine coconut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth and then stir in shredded coconut and sweetener until combined.
  3. Divide mixture among prepared mini muffin cups and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
  4. For the chocolate coating, combine cocoa butter and unsweetened chocolate together in bowl set over a pan of simmering water (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted.
  5. Stir in sifted powdered sweetener, then stir in cocoa powder, until smooth.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
  7. Spoon chocolate topping over chilled coconut candies and let set, about 15 minutes.
  8. OR if using pre-packaged chocolate, simply melt and spoon over the cold coconut filling.
  9. Candies can be stored on your counter top for up to a week.

Notes

Serves 10. Each serving has 5 g of carbs and 4 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1 g.

240 Calories; 25g Fat (89.1% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 6mg Sodium.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. I can not wait to make these! They look incredibly delicious and sound incredibly easy to make. I’ve pinned, stumbled and printed this recipe :)

2. I’m all about easy! Thank you for the recipe!

3. Mary Anna says:

I’m assuming the half cup of ‘Kelapo’ is their coconut oil? These look amazing! Will definitely have to make these this week.

4. Melanie H says:

Wow! I had to make this recipe as soon as I saw it since I had all the ingredients. So good! My chocolate seized up on me so I kept asking coconut oil until it was the right consistency. I used my silicone ice cube tray to make them and it worked perfectly. This is the first fat bomb I’ve made. Thanks for the amazing recipe… it really is like the candy bar.

• Glad you liked them! Out of curiosity, what kind of chocolate did you use for the coating? I find Baker’s has a tendency to seize.

• Melanie H says:

Yeah, it was bakers chocolate. It was an easy fix though and the chocolate tastes so good.

• I struggle with Baker’s too. I can’t get Ghirardelli at all my local grocery stores so sometimes I get Baker’s and it seizes way more. Glad you knew what to do…not everyone does!

5. charlotte says:

you are a genius!
    i love mounds bars, but these look even better!

6. These look SO good.

7. These look fantastic! Pinning!

8. shelley newman says:

I tried these and they came out so oily what did I do wrong
    Thanks

9. shelley newman says:

I tried these and they came out so oily what did I do wrong would love to correct it
    thanks

• What part was oily, the filling? I wonder if it was the brand of coconut oil? In which case, I would suggest going with more coconut butter and less coconut oil.

• shelley newman says:

The coconut part was oily. I did use Carrington Farms Coconut oil from Costco. Should I use 1 cup of coconut butter?
        Thanks
        Shelley

• I’ve never tried their coconut oil so I can’t really say it’s the issue but it might be. But all coconut butter would be kind of hard and not as tasty. I’d go 75/25, so 3/4 cup coconut butter and 1/4 cup coconut oil. And if you have a little xanthan gum, whisk it in at the end, as it can help emulsify oils like that.

• shelley newman says:

thanks I will try that.
            Shelley

• Shelley,

Could it be your coconut butter had settled out?

I never used coconut butter before and almost didn’t catch that the fluffy 1/2 cup I scooped from the jar sat atop a solidified mass of hardened butter that had settled. I warmed the jar in hot water, scooped it all into a bowl and mixed it back together before using.

It should feel like peanut butter. And taste really good too ;)
            –Marv (delicious treat – thanks Carolyn!)

• Oh good call. There is some coconut oil type stuff that sits at the top of the jar of coconut butter and is not the same hard consistency at all. So it would add MORE coconut oil to the mix.

• shelley newman says:

Thanks you so much I have never used any of these products before so that was a wonderful comment, I will try that as well.
            Shelley

10. Delicious! I also added some slivered almonds to make almond joy type candies. YUM!

11. I think you’re not the only one who sometimes forgets how the simple things turns out so good. I find myself as well brainstorming recipes that take like forever to make with a ceiling high pile of dirty dishes.
    These coconut chocolate cups are so adorable. Almond Joy is one of my favorite candy and your low card version of the dark chocolate bars looks much better!
    Thanks for sharing and participating in this month chocolate party

12. I made these last night. They are fantastic and addictive. I found Lily’s sugar-free chocolate chips at Whole Foods last night and decided the universe was sending me a message to make them. Thank you so much for the recipe.

• So glad you liked them!

• shelley newman says:

I love all the comments but mine are not coming out well at all had to throw out 2 different batches maybe its the brand of coconut butter and coconut oil that I am using
      Shelley

• Are they still oily? Did you try using a little xanthan gum to emulsify them? I really don’t know what the issue is, because I’ve made them 3 times now (yes, I really do like them that much). The third time, I didn’t even measure the ingredients, I just tossed it together in the pan and it still came out great.. But please don’t throw them out. At the very least, keep them and use the in place of coconut oil in baking. In my experience, almost everything can be saved and used in some way.

• shelley newman says:

I am definetly going to try again. They are still a little oily went to the 75/25 you told me about. Now when I am cooking this do I let it get to an almost boil phase? After I mixed everything together I spooned them into the muffin tins. Thanks for your help
          Shelley

• No, don’t boil it at all.Just melt and stir, it should be just to the point of being completely melted. What brand of coconut butter are you using? I don’t have a lot of experience with coconut butter, but I am using Artisana Organic.

• shelley newman says:

I bought Maranatha coconut butter in a jar at Whole Foods.
            Shelley

• I used that same brand with great success Shelley. Don’t give up!
            –Marv

• shelley newman says:

Thanks I have tried again and used nuts not quite right yet. I am not going to give up with all the raves this receipe is getting.
            Happy Easter to all
            Shelley

13. I made these yesterday and they were delish! I toasted the coconut first, ’cause I like it that way. The coconut settled toward the bottom, which reminds me of a crust, so today I’ll make a batch with chopped macadamia nuts on the bottom. Carolyn, you are a lifesaver for the low carbers who enjoy dessert. For years I struggled to adapt regular recipes with low carb ingredients. Without your blog I’d have to become you, and well… You do that best.

14. I made something similar with coconut oil, cocoa powder, and peanut butter to make vegan PB cups, but these look like another adventure I need to take! I also made copycate Reeses’s eggs this week for the upcoming Easter holiday. Would love for you take a peek!

15. I made these yesterday using Lily’s Dark Chocolate with Coconut (yes – I love coconut that much) and they were/are delicious. I think I will try them with Lily’s Milk Chocolate and add almonds to make a version of an Almond Joy. Do you have any suggestions for a good candy mold? I think I want to try to coat them completely in chocolate in hopes that I will not need to refrigerate them. What do you think?

• Actually Kim, I tried doing that exact thing on my third go and it didn’t work very well. I guess the coconut part is too melty and lets of some oils, so that the chocolate coating didn’t stick at all.

• That is good to know! Thank you for your quick reply. I need to make another batch, already!!! If I didn’t follow a ketogenic diet, I’d be in big trouble!!!

• shelley newman says:

I am still having the same problem on my 3rd batch
          Shelley

• Shelley -

Are you familiar with Fat Bombs? If you are new to them, they are all on the oilier side than what you might be used to. Just a thought.

• Kim might be right, perhaps you are unused to the feeling of eating full fat like this? They are “fat bombs” which means they will be oily, especially if you let them sit out and it’s warmish out. I am really not sure what to say.

16. These are gorgeous! And I’m cracking up over your “fat bomb” reference, but I know exactly what you mean. ;) My body thrives on a sugar free and high (heathy) fats diet… not that I eat like that all the time, but I should. Anyways, beautiful recipe!
    Megan

17. Karen Anthony says:

These turned out wonderful! Thanks, thanks!

18. Just made ‘em. LOVE ‘em. Very simple to put together. I used plain paper liners and had ZERO problem with sticking. Delicious. I made my own coconut butter with my Vitamix and about a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. Thanks for the recipe, I’m getting ready to do a few days of a Fat Fast.

19. My husband would devour these in 10 minutes flat! Pinned.

20. Leslie Behringer says:

What us the difference between coconut butter and coco butter?

• Coconut butter is made from coconuts. Cocoa butter is made from the cocoa beans, the same one chocolate is made from. Big difference in taste and consistency.

21. These are delicious!!! My grocer didn’t have coconut butter so I used their combo Almond/Coconut butter. I melted low carb, low sugar dark chocolate and added a wee bit of pumpkin spice for the topping. Amazing!! Thanks SO much for sharing the recipe.

22. I’ve never posted here before but I just had to tell you how good these are. I’ve tried a couple of different fat bombs but these are far superior in every way. I like that they are able to stay at room temperature without falling apart…Actually I keep them in the fridge and eat them cold…but they could travel theoretically. ;-)
    Absolutely delicious! The only think I did differently was use a 1/2 cup of coconut cream instead of the coconut butter (the kind of cream that’s sold in a brick, not the one in the can.) I also used 90% dark instead of unsweetened chocolate just because that’s what I had. These are AWESOME. Thank you!!

• I’ve used the coconut cream too, the one from Let’s Do Organic. It works well. And they do last well at room temp, provided it’s not really hot out! I’ve taken them with me on trips.

23. The coconut base came out perfectly, but the chocolate not so much! I tried to melt the chocolate in a small saucepan (lilly’s sugar free dark chocolate) and it got very clumpy and I couldn’t spread it over the chilled coconut base. They look terrible! What did I do wrong?

• Sounds like your chocolate seized. That can happen for a lot of reasons. Next time I suggest two things to guard against it…first, do it double-boiler style, with a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Secondly, put just a 1/2 tbsp of butter to help “liquify” the chocolate as it melts. Maybe even a full tbsp.

24. Sam Burrow says:

I have never posted before, but I just had to say what a wonderful recipe this is! I used Coconut Cream Concentrate in place of the Coco Butter and these turned out fantastic! I also used a skull candy mold for Halloween, so now my hubby and I can have treats just like the kids without the guilt! Thank you so much for your time and effort in all you do!

1. […] Better-Than-Mounds Chocolate Coconut Cups by All Day I Dream About Food […]