Grilled mini eggplants stuffed with perfectly seasoned sausage. Fire up that grill because this is a low carb summer meal you won’t want to miss! Paleo-friendly. This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm.
So I am just going to go ahead and say it and get it out of the way: this recipe is awesome! Awesome as in “you need to go out and get the ingredients right now and make it tonight” kind of awesome. There, it’s out, I said it and it’s all you really need to know. Should I just stop writing now and let you get on your way to the market? Probably, but I won’t. I will just keep writing and blathering on about how good this low carb Stuffed Eggplant Recipe is, and delay your trip to the store just a little bit longer. I will be that annoying person who doesn’t know when to shut it and you will be all polite and feigning interest, while inwardly rolling your eyes and trying to check your watch surreptitiously to make sure you still have time. As the clock ticks on, you will try to insert a few words in an effort to get me to wrap up, but I will be utterly oblivious to your hints and just keep chatting. When I finally do pause, you will think “Yes! Where are my keys?”, but just as you are about to make your escape I will say “Oh, but you know what else I wanted to tell you?”. And off I go again, to your great dismay.
Or, you could just completely ignore me, scroll down to the recipe, make your grocery list and head out. This is a blog, after all, not real life. You are free to ignore everything I say. Don’t worry, I won’t be offended. At least, I will say I am not offended. But in reality, I will look hurt and find multiple passive aggressive ways to let you know that you’ve wounded me deeply.
Okay, enough silliness. This really is an insanely delicious recipe and I urge you to try it as soon as possible. I have a lot of favourite recipes here but this one may have just shot to the top of the list. I took one bite and was completely hooked and I will be making it many times through the summer, I can assure you. And once grilling season is over, I plan to try it in the oven too. There’s a lot to love here. Grilled eggplant always takes on a unique charred flavour that I adore. And sausage, well that hardly needs any introduction, does it? The seasonings are simple here, just garlic, rosemary and some salt and pepper, so it really lets the eggplant and sausage shine. I topped some with cheese and left some as is, and they were both great. Do as you see fit.
Jones Dairy Farm bulk sausage was perfect in this recipe and I am glad I kept the additional seasonings to a minimum. Their sausage products are great for people who don’t want additives like MSG, and the flavour is fantastic. The bulk sausage roll doesn’t contain any sugar or corn syrup; it’s just pork, water, salt and spices. I honestly think it made a real difference to the end result of this Sausage-Stuffed Grilled Eggplant. Helps keep the carb count down too!
Jones Dairy Farm just launched a cookbook with 125 recipes to celebrate the 125 years that the family-run company has been in business. It’s not all low carb, of course, but there are definitely some great low carb recipes in there too. It’s free, so check it out and see what goodies you can find! http://issuu.com/jonesdairyfarm
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. As always, all recipes, photography, thoughts, opinions, random tangents and incoherent ramblings are my own.
Sausage Stuffed Grilled Eggplant
Grilled mini eggplants stuffed with perfectly seasoned sausage. Fire up that grill because this is a low carb summer meal you won't want to miss! Paleo-friendly.
- 3 small graffiti or baby eggplants (about 6 to 8 oz each)
- 12 oz Jones Dairy Farm bulk sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving about 1/4 thickness of flesh in the skin (I found this easiest by running a sharp knife around the insides, without cutting through, and then scooping with a spoon). Finely chop eggplant flesh.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up clumps with the back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a large bowl using a slotted spoon, to keep as much of the oils as possible in the pan.
- Add garlic to pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add chopped eggplant flesh, salt and pepper and sauté until eggplant is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes more.
- Add chopped rosemary and sauté another minute, then transfer eggplant to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Divide mixture among eggplant shells.
- Preheat grill to medium and oil lightly. Place stuffed eggplants on grill and close lid. Let cook about 8 to 10 minutes, until eggplant shells are tender.
- If adding cheese, turn grill off and lay slices on eggplant, cutting to fit (you don't want too much cheese overhanging or it will melt onto your grill and be very messy!). Close lid and let melt about 1 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Serves 3. Each serving has 8.32 g of carbs 1.81 g of fiber. Totat NET CARBS = 6.51 g.
Food energy: 471kcal Saturated fatty acids: 14.87g Total fat: 38.94g Calories from fat: 350 Cholesterol: 80mg Carbohydrate: 8.32g Total dietary fiber: 1.81g Protein: 16.22g Sodium: 1107mg