This Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe is going to become your favorite new keto dinner! So easy and simple to make, with a sugar free BBQ Sauce for extra flavor. Paleo and dairy-free, and only 2g total carbs per serving.
So who got an Instant Pot for Christmas? The popularity of this multipurpose kitchen gadget just keeps continuing to grow. I love mine and it’s perfect for recipes like this easy BBQ Pulled Pork.
Instant Pots have their limitations and sometimes they aren’t any faster than than making the recipe on your stove top. I find that things like pork chops don’t actually fare very well in the Instant Pot, as the fat gets rubbery and chewy, even if you take the time to saute it first.
But meats that need slow braising with liquid are absolutely perfect for it. The Instant Pot cuts down significantly on time and effort and a recipe that might take hours in the oven will take a fraction of the time.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork is the way to go! I don’t think I will ever make it any other way again.
What recipes do well in the Instant Pot?
As I noted previously, some foods don’t do actually do that well in the Instant Pot. I tried pork chops in it recently and was extremely disappointed by the texture. They were really good pasture raised pork chops with a nice thick rind of fat. The pressure made the meat tough and the fat chewy instead of crisp.
If you’re looking for crisped and browned meats, the Instant Pot is not your friend. While the saute function can brown things up a bit, they become flaccid again with the pressure and moist heat. So crispy chicken thighs are best done on the stove top or in the oven.
I also find that already easy soup recipes are actually just as easy or easier on the stovetop. Because it can take time to come up to pressure, you may find it actually takes LONGER to cook a simple soup in an Instant Pot. So it defeats the purpose of saving you time and energy.
But the Instant Pot does a spectacular job on tougher cuts of meat that usually require slow cooking in liquid to become tender. Think stews, curries, and braised meats. And shredded meats, like pulled pork, are an ideal match. An oven braised pulled pork recipe will take upwards of 3 hours, but this Instant Pot Pulled Pork takes only about an hour and a half, start to finish.
Tips for Instant Pot Pulled Pork
Even though this keto meal is simple and straightforward to make, there are a few things you can do to ensure that you get the best flavor and texture for your BBQ pulled pork.
- Cut the pork butt roast into smaller chunks for faster cooking. A whole 3 or 4 lb roast will take a lot longer to cook through than smaller pieces, so your healthy dinner will be ready even sooner.
- Use the sauté function to brown the pork first. This helps caramelize the fats and bring out better flavor in the meat. And that’s part of the charm of an Instant Pot, as you can go from sautéing to pressure cooking quickly and easily, and all in the same pot.
- You don’t need to add a lot of liquid. While braising helps tenderize the meat, pressure cooking will force the meat release plenty of its own juices. I find that a lot of IP recipes add far too much liquid, resulting in a watery end product with a diluted flavor. 1/2 to 1 cup of broth is about all you need.
- Don’t add the sugar free BBQ sauce until the pork is cooked and shredded. Because the pressure releases so much liquid, your sauce will get far too diluted if you add it into the pot early on. Better to add in some extra flavor in the form of chile powder, cumin, and garlic powder, and then toss the shredded pork with the sauce at the very end.
- Discard most of the cooking liquid but keep a little just in case. Depending on the cut of your meat, the pulled pork can get a little dry as it sits. Stirring in a bit of the cooking liquid, which includes fat from the bacon grease as well as the juices of the pork itself.
There you go, my friends. A keto friendly Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe with the easiest sugar free BBQ sauce. Serve over cauliflower rice or in lettuce wraps for a healthy low carb meal.
What if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
Not to worry, I’ve also included oven cooking instructions in the recipe notes. I don’t want to leave anyone hanging, unable to make this delicious keto pulled pork!
Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Pat the pork roast dry with a clean rag, then chop into large chunks for faster cooking. Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper.
- Turn the instant pot on to the saute function and add the bacon grease. Once melted and hot, add half the pork chunks and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining chunks.
- Place all the pork back in the pot and sprinkle with the chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Pour in the chicken broth and seal the lid. Make sure the vent is on seal.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual high for 45 minutes. Once cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks. Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and transfer to the oven and let cook 3 hours. Then remove and shred the pork and toss with the BBQ sauce.