This creamy keto mushroom soup recipe is made with brown butter and sage for delicious rich flavor. Easy to make and with only 5 ingredients, it’s a perfect keto soup recipe for those chilly days.
This Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe was first published in December 2012. But it’s such a lovely and easy soup, I decided it needed a little update. I’ve even included a video to show you just how easy it is to make.
Making cream of mushroom soup is so easy, I honestly don’t know why anyone would use store-bought. It takes less than 20 minutes to make and it’s so much more flavorful.
And cooking the mushrooms in brown butter makes it truly unique and special. No pre-made soup can compare.
If you love simple soup recipes, be sure to check out Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup, Roasted Tomato Soup, and Italian Sausage Soup.
You need to try this recipe!
Step away from the canned soup, people! And make my simple keto mushroom soup instead. It takes only 5 ingredients and is so much healthier, with a richer, fresher flavor. Let’s do a little comparison, shall we?
The typical canned mushroom soup contains some pretty scary ingredients. Most of them are made with things like soybean oil, wheat flour, and MSG. Even the so-called healthier, organic brands have additives like rice flour to thicken it.
Kettle and Fire does make a decent keto friendly soup in cartons. The ingredients aren’t scary (yay!), but it’s rather expensive. And it has quite a long ingredient list for what should be a simple soup.
My recipe, on the other hand, is thick, creamy, and contains 5 simple ingredients. It doesn’t cost a fortune to make and I guarantee you that the flavor is far superior to that of anything from a can or a carton.
“I now make this quite often. It is delicious with every spoonful. Thank you Carolyn for all your wonderful and delicious recipes!” — Jennifer
“Incredibly better than any cream of mushroom soup I’ve ever eaten. It took me no time to make it. We’ll be serving it often! Thnx for your skills and generosity. I recommend you to my friends, family & strangers all the time!!” — Ludona
“Thank you so much for this amazing soup. I’d missed cream of mushroom soup for years. But this is lightyears ahead of it. It is truly my comfort soup!” — Tracy
Ingredients you need
- Butter: Choose a good quality salted butter as the browned butter is what makes this recipe unique.
- Mushrooms: You can use white mushrooms or baby bellas. To save on time, get them pre-sliced.
- Fresh sage: I can’t emphasize enough how much flavor comes from fresh sage in this dish. You could use ½ teaspoon dried sage or try it with fresh thyme or rosemary if you prefer.
- Broth: I like to use homemade chicken bone broth for this soup but cartoned broth is fine too. You can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian meal.
- Heavy cream: This makes the soup thick and creamy. For a dairy free option, use full fat coconut milk or coconut cream.
- Salt and pepper
1. Brown the butter: In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat until it begins to brown and turns fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook one minute more.
2. Sauté the mushrooms: Add the mushrooms and stir to coat, then sauté until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook 4 to 5 minutes more.
4. Blend it up. Transfer the soup to a food processor or good blender and blend until smooth (you may need to work in batches). You can also use an immersion blender but it tends not to get it as smooth.
5. Add the cream. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cream. Serve immediately.
Don’t skip the browned butter, as it’s what makes this Keto Mushroom Soup recipe so special. Browned butter has a rich, nutty caramel flavor and it goes beautifully with mushrooms and herbs.
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week, as long as your cream was fresh. Since milk fat separates when it freezes, I don’t suggest freezing leftovers. But you can freeze the soup minus the cream and then add the cream when you re-heat it.
If you want a chunkier soup, don’t purée completely or set aside a portion of the mushrooms and add them to the puréed mixture afterwards.
Dairy-Free Option: Use coconut milk for the heavy cream. If you can tolerate ghee, there is a browned butter ghee that would be great. Otherwise use butter-flavored coconut oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cream of mushroom soup you purchase from the grocery store is not keto friendly at all. They often contain high carb fillers and thickeners, along with other questionable ingredients. However, this keto mushroom soup recipe is very low carb and it tastes so much better. And it’s super thick and creamy!
All varieties of mushrooms are naturally low in carbohydrates. So they make an excellent addition to keto recipes. They add flavor, but they also contain a number of vital nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin D.
This keto mushroom soup recipe has 4.6g of carbs and .6g of fiber per serving. That comes to 4g net carbs per cup of soup.
More Delicious Keto Mushroom Recipes
Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 6 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat until it begins to brown and turns fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook one minute more.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to coat, then sauté until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender (in batches, if your processor is not large enough). Blend until smooth. You can use an immersion blender but it tends not to get as smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cream. Serve immediately.