Whoa! Cooking a whole leg of lamb in your instant pot is not only quick and easy but it’s also insanely delicious. This low carb keto meal comes together in under an hour! In partnership with The American Lamb Board.
This past Thanksgiving, I came to the inevitable conclusion that I am just not that much of a turkey person. I am ducking as I say this, because I am sure some die-hard turkey lovers have just picked up the nearest object and thrown it at my head. But I think this has been coming slowly over time. I do like the taste of turkey, but I don’t enjoy the work required for making a whole bird. Or the carcass that sits in my fridge, taking up room until I can find the energy to get all the leftover meat off. And then the pressure to use up all those leftovers in creative and different ways, after we’ve all become sick of it.
I’d much, much rather do something like lamb. I know turkey is tradition and that the pilgrims didn’t have sheep anywhere nearby when they first came to the Americas. I get that and I will probably keep doing turkey year in and year out because it’s virtually required. But just understand that I will be dreaming of recipes like this Instant Pot Leg of Lamb instead. Because it would be so much easier, so much faster, and I would be happy to have all those lamb leftovers in my fridge.
I never ever get sick of lamb and I am very glad that with Thanksgiving out of the way and Christmas approaching, I have an excuse to make big lamb roasts. And this winter, I foresee many a comfort meal, like lamb stew or lamb curry. Discovering that I could do it all, even the roasts, in my Instant Pot was quite a revelation. When the American Lamb board challenged me to an Instant Pot recipe, my first inclination was a stew. But with the holidays coming, I wanted a nice, juicy lamb leg roast. So I set about to see if it can be made in a pressure cooker.
Turns out that it can and that’s it’s so delicious and easy, you’ll wonder why you’ve never done it before. Like many pressure cooker meals, it doesn’t brown up as much as it would in the oven so I popped mine under the broiler for a few minutes after it was finished. But you can skip that step if you prefer. Regardless you will have perfectly cooked leg of lamb that is meltingly tender. Sorry folks, but turkey just can’t compete with this!
Win an Instant Pot!
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Well The American Lamb Board just so happens to be giving one away. All you have to do is follow them on Instagram and tag a friend in the comments on THIS PHOTO. And for more great lamb recipes and tips on how to cook lamb, check out The American Lamb Board.
Whoa! Cooking a whole leg of lamb in your instant pot is not only quick and easy but it's also insanely delicious. This low carb keto meal comes together in under an hour!
- 1 3 to 4 lb boneless leg of lamb
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1. Pat the lamb dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, brown the lamb all over. Remove the lamb and spread the top and sides with the garlic and rosemary.
- 3. Insert the rack into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Pour in the water into the bottom of the pot. Place the lamb on the rack and set the Instant Pot to meat/stew. Cook 30 to 35 minutes, depending on how rare you want it (30 minutes is good for medium rare on a 4lb leg of lamb). Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid.
- 4. Preheat the broiler. Set the lamb on a broiling pan and broil 6 inches from the heat for about 2 minutes, to brown the top. Remove and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Many thanks to the American Lamb Board for partnering with me to bring you this post.