These keto ham and cheese scones just made your lunch time a lot more fun! They’re easy to make and pair perfectly with a low carb salad or soup. Instructional video included!
My husband is a sandwich guy. For as long as I have known him, which is 20-some-odd years, he’s always loved his sandwiches. Back when we first met, this tall string bean of a man was eating three sandwiches for lunch every day. I kid you not! His metabolism was such that he was never full and could simply pack it away, goodness knows where. Possibly in those extremely long legs. He loves piling his sandwiches high too. He calls them Super Dupers and he puts on several different kinds of lunchmeat, various assorted cheeses, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Kind of like those old Dagwood cartoons, so big you can barely get your mouth around it.
How to Make Low Carb Savory Scones
Consequently, we always have a selection of lunchmeat in our house. I am always pushing him to make nutritious choices, and look for meats without added preservatives*, artificial colours and flavours. Because when you eat that many sandwiches, those things can add up quickly. He’s become quite the label reader, thanks to me and he really likes the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® lunch meats. They are 100% natural* and can be found easily at our local grocery stores, without costing more than other lunchmeat. My kids really love them too and the smoked deli ham is a particular favourite. When you’re making Dagwood-style sandwiches, it’s nice to have these good choices. The sandwich habit is not an easy one to break, it would seem. I have to be creative to come up with alternatives that might lure the man away from his sandwiches. Taking some of his precious lunchmeat and including them in something delicious is one way to do it. And making it in an easily portable package so that he can take it work helps too. Because mornings are tough in our house and there’s very little time for fancy or complicated lunch-making. I nailed it with these savoury Ham & Cheese scones. I paired them with containers of soup or our homemade chili, and he and the kids took them to work and to school several days running. They were even easier than making sandwiches, and I loved knowing they were getting a nutritious and filling meal. And I found the scones to be just what I needed to round out a salad for my own lunch. Jam-packed with healthy smoked deli ham, they had great flavour and were so easy to make. I foresee a trend here…
Shake up your lunch routine with these tender carb-conscious Ham and Cheese Scones: a great addition to soup or salad for a nutritious, wholesome meal.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, parsley, garlic powder, and salt. Add 1 cup of the grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Stir in the egg, egg white, and whipping cream, and mix until the dough comes together. Add the ham and work evenly throughout the dough.
- Gather the dough together and turn out onto the prepared baking sheet. Pat into a rough rectangle about 10 by 8 inches.
- Use a sharp large knife to cut into 6 squares. Then cut each of those squares diagonally into two triangles. Gently lift the scones and distribute them around the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool. Serve with your favourite soup or salad!
Serves 12. Each serving has 3.34g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 194kcal Total fat: 15.13g Calories from fat: 136 Cholesterol: 22mg Carbohydrate: 6.19g Total dietary fiber: 2.85g Protein: 9.49g