This is the creamiest, the dreamiest low carb dessert ever. Sugar-free chocolate mousse in a grain-free chocolate cookie crust. It’s no bake and so easy to make!
For a recipe developer, there are some recipes that bring with them that AHA moment. That “Aha, this method/ingredient/recipe is so perfect, so right, so easy, I need to remember this for future use”. I find that those moments stick with me, and I can call them up at will. It’s amazing, really, since I can’t remember what day it is half the time, or what I walked into that room to get. My life is busy and my brain is over-cluttered, and I lose my keys and my phone (and my mind!) constantly. But those little recipe AHA moments seemingly get filed away in some very organized brain-space and then are put on lockdown, awaiting the moment I need them. It certainly makes my job easier that I don’t have to struggle to recall those important bits and pieces.
And in this particular case, that little bit of recipe information didn’t have to wait long to be recalled. When I created my Easy Blender Chocolate Mousse, I was most eager to put that sucker to use again. It’s such a good recipe on its own, of course, but my brain instantly recognized that it would also be great as a component of other recipes. Cakes, tarts, pies, fillings for cookies maybe, oh, how about in pavlova? The possibilities are endless. I have plans for this stuff. Important, chocolate-filled plans.
Plan Numero Uno has already been executed. A super easy, no bake tart with a chocolate crust, chocolate mousse filling, and a whipped cream topping. An impressive low carb dessert that looks and tastes like you put some serious elbow grease into it, but that honestly only takes 30 minutes to whip up. It does need to set for while, but this is one dessert you can make a few hours in advance of guests arriving, all without turning on the oven. Just press that crust into place, blend the filling ingredients, pour in and let set. Then spread some lightly sweetened whipped cream, shave a little dark chocolate and you’re done. No fuss and minimal muss.
And mind-glowingly chocolate-y deliciousness ensues. This was so, SO good that I’ve been dreaming about it ever since. Plan Number One of Operation Blender Mousse is a resounding success.
This is the creamiest, dreamiest low carb dessert ever. Sugar-free chocolate mousse in a grain-free chocolate cookie crust. It's no bake and so easy to make!
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 ounces good quality unsweetened dark chocolate chopped (do not use sweetened chocolate here, as your mousse may not set properly)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder optional, boosts chocolate flavour
- 3 large eggs*
- Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Add melted butter and stir until the mixture clumps together.
- Press firmly and evenly into bottom and up sides of prepared tart pan. Refrigerate until filling is ready.
- In a small pan, combine cream, almond or cashew milk, and butter. Bring to a full boil and then remove from heat.
- In a blender, combine unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder, sweetener, and espresso powder. Pour in scalded cream mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add eggs and blend again until smooth (*if you are concerned about the eggs, use pasteurized shell eggs such as Safest Choice). Pour into chilled crust and chill until firm, at least 1 hour. Gently press the tart pan from the bottom to remove the sides and place on a serving platter.
- Beat whipping cream with sweetener and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks. Spread over mousse to the edges of the tart.
- Using a cheese grater, shave the dark chocolate over the whipping cream. Let set a bit in the refrigerator before serving.
Serves 12. Each serving has 3.91 g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 359kcal
Total fat: 33.46g
Calories from fat: 301
Total dietary fiber: 4.04g