Brie and Caramelized Onion Tarts with Oatcake Crust

I have never been to Scotland. It’s a shame, really, as I believe that Scotland and I would get along very well. Minus the weather, which isn’t very pleasant. And the haggis, which I suspect isn’t very pleasant either. Yes, Scotland and I would get along famously. After all, I did attend a girl’s school for 7 years that was named after a castle in Scotland, and we were divided up into “clans” (I was a Campbell) and wore kilts and ties in the Hunting Stewart tartan. Surely this qualifies me as something of an expert on all things Scottish?

I also know my way around scottish shortbread and oatcakes like I was born to it. Every Christmas as a child, I would see the familiar red tartan of a Walkers Shortbread box peaking out of my stocking. It was in hot contention with the Toblerone bar as my favourite treat from Santa, and I often would have devoured half the box before breakfast. We would have the oatcakes with brie and other cheeses as an appetizer before Christmas dinner, and I always marvelled at how they seemed more like cookies than crackers. So when the good folks at Walkers contacted me about sampling their products and creating a holiday recipe for them, I was just tickled. What wonderful memories these cookies and crackers bring back for me.

They kindly sent me several different boxes of their wonderful shortbread, and I have quite a few ideas of how to work these into some holiday recipes which I hope to post at a later date. But what I was really excited about was the box of oatcakes, so that I could make a holiday appetizer worthy of my Christmases past.

The Results: It took a few tries to get it right, but my handy-dandy taste tester (aka my husband) didn’t mind one bit. The first round was a bit too sweet so we cut back on the carmelized onions and fig jam, to allow the brie and the oatcakes to shine through. The resulting tarts are wonderful! The crust is crumbly but holds together, and the oatiness compliments the tangy brie so well. And the touch of sweetness from the onions and jam rounds the whole taste out beautifully. They are a lovely, elegant appetizer and I plan to serve them to our friends who will be joining us for Christmas dinner.

I used 4 1/2 inch tart pans, but you could do them as little mini tarts or as one large 9-inch tart served in slices. Just adjust the baking time of the crust accordingly.

So many thanks to the good folks at Walkers for allowing me to play with their products! If you’ve never had Walkers shortbread before, you are missing out and you need to rectify this immediately. It was a Christmas tradition in my household, perhaps it should become one in yours too!

Check out all the shortbread, oatcakes and other goodies at:

Brie and Caramelized Onion Tarts with Oatcake Crust
Crust:
10 Walkers Thick & Crunchy Oatcakes
2 tbsp butter
1 egg white

Filling:
3 tbsp butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
7-8 oz brie, chopped into 1/4 inch chunks
1 tbsp fig jam
1 tbsp water

For the tart crusts, preheat oven to 350F and place four 4 1/2 inch tart pans with removable bottoms on a large baking sheet. (Alternatively, you could make one large tart in a 9 inch tart pan, or 12-16 mini tartlets). Process oatcakes in food processor until they become fine, even crumbs, about 30 seconds. Place crumbs in medium bowl and stir in butter and egg white until well combined.

Divide oatcake mixture between prepared pans. Using your fingers, press mixture firmly to bottom and up sides of pans. Bake in oven 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Melt butter in a large, heavy-duty skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add fresh thyme and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden, about 15 minutes.

Divide chopped brie between tart shells, sprinkling in an even layer over each crust. Sprinkle onions evenly over cheese in tarts. Bake until brie is melted and slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, stir fig jam and water together. Drizzle over tarts. Once pans are cool enough to handle, remove tarts. Serve warm.

Comments

1. Wonderful! They look perfect, and I love the filling!

2. this recipe looks fabulous! I am going to try it!

3. this is gorgeous- my mouth is literally watering!

4. Ohhh, this looks so great and I bet they taste even better. I wish I had a drop of your culinary talent and skill.

looks really yummy
    congrats on the top 9 :)

6. Evan @swEEts says:

This sounds delicious! I'm racking my brain now for what other crackers I could use since I'm not lucky enough to get these crackers sent as a taste test.. I only went to Scotland for a long weekend while in college and it was awesome and I'm going to honest, I really liked haggis!

7. Hey Carolyn, this look so delicious, and once I realized it was savory-sheesh! I want on of these now with a vinegary salad;)
    By the way, is the light in your photos natural? It looks like it is…I would love to know, as I'm having lighting trouble. Big time!

8. oh these sound absolutely delicious. Adding it to my Christmas cooking list@

9. The Enchanted Cook says:

I love their shortbread cookies and had no idea they made anything else! What a wonderful looking recipe!

Best,
    Veronica

10. michelangelo in the kitchen says:

Marvelous tart with tasty ingredients. Brie and thyme, what could be better! And the crust makes a great combination. Thanks for sharing!

11. This looks so yummy and irresistible!!!! Great recipe!

12. I love walkers Pure Butter Short Bread with the almond flavor it is one of my favorites,and always admired their handsome packaging ,very Scottish :)Your recipe using the oat cake crusts is simply The Best.Love the medley of flavors-thyme,brie and onion with fig jam…fabuloso !!!

13. Amy Bakes Everything says:

I am in lurrrve with this recipe! Nothing is better than cheese and onions!!! Gorgeous photos (as usual)!

14. This tarts sounds amazing! I love your comments about scotland too. But not all the haggis are taste awful. Some of the good one actually taste very nice. I love short bread too. I think you're so creative to use oatcake to make a tart. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe. ;)

15. Green Girl @ A little bit of everything says:

my husband, who took a pick at your post and relived some of his childhood memories, he just added some walkers to his Christmas list.
    I'll have to try the combo caramelized onions and fig jam, I'm pretty sure it will be a hit.
    thanks for sharing
    have a wonderful evening

16. Spicie Foodie says:

OMG I love Walkers Shortbread! They are one of the best things around. I've never tried the oatcakes but they sound really good too. Your Tarts sound and look oh so yummy! What a great combination of ingredients. Your guest are going to love them too. My mouth is watering, looks like I need to go on a hunt now:)

17. These little Scottish onion tarts are very nice. I like it!

P.S. My extended family is from Scotland.

Happy holidays to you!

Velva

18. I so very wish one of these would appear in front of me right now:) It just sounds (and looks!) soooooooooooooo good!

19. Luna's Recipes says:

I love tarts, sweet or savoury. And yours are doing the job. (Of making my mouthwater).. lol. GReat photo. Luna

20. Looks scrumptious! We went on our honeymoon to Ben Nevis, on the West coast of Scotland. Absolutely stunning country, even in November (maybe more so because of the cold and snow) and I actually loved the haggis (although I was sure I would hate it) so you just never know… Anything you can wash down with a single malt is ok by me! And I'm thinking your tart qualifies… ;-)

21. A Thought For Food says:

Love love LOVE!!!!!!!!! I just made a caramelized onion and cabbage tart (up on the site) and I bet this would just make for a wonderful crust to go with that!

So glad you found me on Twitter, because now I'm following you!

22. Oh I remember my Walkers Shortbread! This takes me back to my boarding school days in the United Kingdom when these biscuits were a staple in my (secret) student stash… Haha. I love Brie and oats, and you have incorporated both these ingredients in your tarts. As far as I'm concerned, you've just created my dream tarts!

23. foodwanderings says:

OMG these tarts and special ingredient crust look so good. Great pics tempting me to make some! Thx Shulie

I'm missing out… pouty lip. These look so delicious and your caramelized onions are perfect! I need you to teach me your ways after my caramelized onion fail, haha!

25. • friX • says:

That looks really tasty !
    By the way, I went to Scotland a couple of years ago, and the weather was great ! So you can get lucky… ;-)

26. Belinda @zomppa says:

Love Walker Shortbread…never thought to make a crust…fantastic tart!

27. These look SO yummy and perfect for a cool winter night by the fire.

28. Stephanie says:

They look so fanc-ee! I love little bite-size yummies. It means I can have 10 of 'em and it doesn't feel like I'm being a piggy. :p Atleast in my convoluted mind.

29. Caramelized onions must be in my future. This is the second post in just a couple of minutes! Looks fantastic!

30. Ummm wow. This is one gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS tart. Could you combine any more of my most favorite things? Doubtful.

31. Don't knock haggis unless you've tried it. I had some during a trip to Scotland a few years ago and it was really very tasty. Also enjoyed the mackerel we had in a couple of different restaurants — people don't necessarily associate fish with the Scots, but they have some excellent (very fishy) fish. I'll have to go get some oatcakes and Brie (fortunately both available at my local store) and try this recipe out.

32. Elisabeth says:

Carolyn, this is an absolutely divine and gorgeous little tart with the caramelized onion and oatcake crust. Love the photos, as well!

Carolyn-I see you have stopped by my blog to pick up you award. I was so happy to give it to you.
    You truly deserve it, and thank you for you kind words. We still cannot believe this horrible tragedy!

33. This tart looks and sounds amazing! I have never tried Walkers shortbread, but now I am ever so intrigued. :)

34. sara @ CaffeIna says:

Wait, you posted this yesterday….how did I miss it?! I mean, brie and crust probably called my name 1000 times and I did not hear it? I can't say how much I love the idea of the oatcake crust! I am sure you can call yourself Scottish by honor!

35. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

That. Looks. Like. HEAVEN!

I just adore savory tarts, and the oat crust!?! I've got to try it!

36. Wow, this really caught my eye. So many wonderful flavors are tied into one fabulous dish. I love fig, caramelized onions, thyme, and brie – Yum!

37. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines says:

Just got done buzzing this one! What a perfect combination. Anything with brie is the best! Love the crust.
    -Gina-

38. What a unique way to use those oatcakes. These tarts would impress anyone. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

39. Indie.Tea says:

Hmm, that looks delicious! I love the thought of an oat-based crust.

40. This looks absolutely heavenly. Can't wait to try it out!

41. Island Vittles says:

a homerun! both delicious looking and sounding…the oatcake crust is what I find most intriguing. Great recipe! Theresa

42. amanda@seegirlcook says:

these look absolutely incredible! i love your ingredient combination.:)

43. WizzyTheStick says:

Love the idea for the crusts of these.

44. Jean at The Delightful Repast says:

Beautiful savory tarts–must make soon! My family has a long tradition of Walkers Shortbread and eggnog (just wrote about it).

45. Sprinkles of Parsley says:

This sounds absolutely delicious! What a creative idea!

46. This. Looks. Awe. Some. I love brie and this looks like a fantastic way to utilize it.

47. A Little Yumminess says:

very novel use of the oatcakes…I know walker's but would never think of doing this…looks super yummy. love brie and carmelized onions

48. Sweet Artichoke says:

These little tarts look fantastic! Brie, onions and oat cookies are a wonderful combination!

49. Delicious!!!! I've been wanting to try some extravagant with Brie! What an inspiration you are, Carolyn! No wonder Walker's asked you to sample their goods. You'd make some awesomeness from it for sure.I love their cookies, those oatcakes are certainly intriguing. My children would love it for sure. Awesome job, Carolyn.

50. The Urban Baker says:

oat cake crust! genius! you are getting so creative. i love it! x

51. Oh my! brie + carmelized onion = greatness. Such a lovely recipe!

52. TheHousewifeDiary says:

I can not wait to try this tart with brie and caramelized onions! This looks delicious. Beautiful pictures as well!

53. Nice, very nice! I love tart crusts with oats usually. And I love caramelised onions with melted cheese more than anything! I tend to use goat cheese log or sometimes brie/camembert. And when I am in the mood for, I also brown some unsmoked bacon until caramelised & crispy.
    ps: I am sure you would appreciate haggis, if you forget what it is for a few seconds. I was vegetarian for several years, 1 year after eating meat again (not a lot though) I tried and I liked it! But it was a good product, I tasted it at the Glasgow good food show.
    ps2: I lived 2 years in Dundee and the weather was very good compared to France and Newcastle, where I live now.

54. An Irish Village Pantry says:

Ooh this sounds so easy & delicious to make, love the pastry base concept!

55. wonderful recipe

farida

56. Cake Duchess says:

This looks fantastic! Love the combo of flavors and would love it even more tonight! :)

57. Caramelized onions and melted brie would make for an amazing tart!

58. This sounds amazing. I've had the shortbread but never the oatcakes. Must try some now!

59. I have never thought of using oatcakes to make tarts. I am so excited about trying these out, so thanks so much! I am adapting the recipe to make haggis tarts for Burns night on 25th January.Visit the MacSween website
    for the recipe!