These low carb, gluten-free Buffalo flavored sausage balls are perfect for any Game Day celebrations. Make a double batch because they will go fast! This post is sponsored by al fresco®.
My 11 year old son is obsessed with buffalo sauce. Left to his own devices, he would put it on everything. He’d probably put it in, under and around everything too. It’s become quite the family joke, and I asked him the other day if he thought I should make Buffalo Sauce Brownies. He was not amused. But you have to hand it to him. If a kid is going to obsess over something, buffalo sauce rates among the more harmless of things. And it really is delicious. There is something about that tangy heat slathered over crispy wings that makes you want smack your lips and lick your fingers.
No Game Day celebration would be complete without at least one Buffalo-flavoured appetizer. And as we get closer and closer to Super Bowl 50, you can bet that the national consumption of buffalo sauce is on a serious upswing. So when al fresco® All Natural asked me to come up with a game day recipe using their products, it was virtually a no-brainer. Two packages of their fresh (not pre-cooked) Buffalo-style chicken sausages later, and I had the BEST low carb and gluten-free game day recipe on my hands. If you’re a buffalo chicken fan, you are going to love these sausage balls.
Not only did they taste amazing but they were also easy to make. Just take of the casings, add some almond flour, cheddar, bleu cheese (optional…I left it out of my kids’ version), roll into balls and bake. The al fresco® buffalo-style sausages already had such good flavour, I didn’t need to add much to it. Just enough to hold them together to make the perfect Game Day finger food. The dipping sauce is just icing on the cake. My son didn’t even feel like he needed to add more buffalo sauce, they were that good. High praise from the Buffalo King himself.
- 2 14- ounce packages al fresco fresh Buffalo-Style chicken sausage casings removed
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese optional
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk can substitute regular milk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled bleu cheese or more, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or tin foil.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, almond flour, cheddar cheese, bleu cheese, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place about an inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
- While sausage balls are baking, combine mayonnaise, almond milk, garlic, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well and then mix in crumbled bleu cheese.
Serves 12 (4 meatballs per serving) as an appetizer with dipping sauce. NET CARBS = 4.3 g.
Food energy: 325kcal
Total fat: 25.01g
Calories from fat: 225
Total dietary fiber: 2.08g
Many thanks to al fresco® All Natural for sponsoring this post As always, all opinions are my own.