Strawberry Banana Streusel Bread (Healthy Snacks for Kids)

I once ate so many strawberries I made myself quite sick. And it wasn’t, as you might imagine, when I was a young child with no self control. Nope, it was as a full grown adult who should have known better. But I’ve never had much self control when it comes to foods I love, and these strawberries were at the peak of perfection. I was back in Vancouver for a visit and was spending the day with my best guy friend from university, whom I hadn’t seen in years. We toodled around Kitsilano and Granville Island, where we hit the market and bought about three pounds of strawberries, among other things. Then we made our way back to his apartment with the intention of ordering in some dinner. Chatting and laughing and catching up, we suddenly realized that we no longer needed dinner, we had almost polished off the entire thing of these amazing berries, and we were uncomfortably full. I had quite the stomachache that night, and into part of the next day. But I don’t regret it at all, it was worth every second of the discomfort.

Fresh berries are a true weakness of mine. The funny thing about strawberries is that I don’t like them much in anything other than their fresh form. I detest strawberry jam and am not that fond of them baked into anything – the only exception being when it’s with rhubarb, to help cut the cloying sweetness of the berries. But I like the IDEA of baking with them, and whenever we go strawberry-picking, I always buy far more than I should with the idea of making this, that and the other. Such was the case a few weeks ago, when I hauled all three of my kids to our favourite berry patch.

We came home with four quarts of strawberries (and probably ate the equivalent of a fifth quart while we were picking). My daughter had me promising to make all sorts of treats with them and my eyes were bigger than my stomach. But once home, I wanted to enjoy the berries as is for a while, before making anything with them. Fresh strawberries are too good on their own to bake into something when they are picked at that height of perfection. It was only once they started to get a little soft and a little old that I knew it was time to bake with them and use them up.

I wanted to make something for my kids, something that felt like a treat but was also quite healthy. The older two were about to embark on a trip with their fahther for a few days, to see their grandparents, so I also wanted to make something that was sturdy enough to travel. When I spied a few overripe bananas on the counter, it clicked. Strawberries and bananas are delicious together, why not strawberry banana bread? And to gussy it up a little further, a lovely streusel topping. I used my Whole Grain Banana Bread recipe as a healthy base, but knowing that both bananas and strawberries are so naturally sweet and that the streusel would add a little sugar, I cut down the sugar to 1/4 cup.

The Results: Not being low carb, I didn’t taste any of this bread, but it seems to have been a hit. It certainly smelled heavenly when I sliced into it, and it was packed full of strawberries. And apparently it was served for breakfast at the grandparents’ house not once, but twice! I’d have to call that a success.

Strawberry Banana Streusel Bread

Streusel:
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tbsp butter

Bread:
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal
OR any multigrain hot cereal mix
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 medium overripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
6 tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

For the streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan.

In a small bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let sit 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flax meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add bananas, eggs, melted butter and cereal mixture and fold in gently until just comined. Fold in strawberries.

Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake 50-60 minutes or until top is evenly golden brown and a tester inserted into the middle comes out with a few crumbs attached.

Let cool in pan for 10-20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12-15 servings.

Comments

1. Apron Appeal says:

Look at all that whole wheat flour in there! I LOVE it and I think the strawberry lover in my family might love it to, although when I bake her berries she tends to get a little picky.

Overdoing it on peak strawberries seems easy, and not as bad as overdoing it on chocolate:-)

This bread looks delicious! I've been looking for a way to use up some brown bananas and might try this!

Strawberry and bananas was a favorite combo of mine growing up. This bread looks beautiful and sounds oh so delicious. I know my son and I would love this. Yummy!

4. Parsley Sage says:

Oh man, I overeat all the time. Luckily, it never deters me from ordering the dish next week :) Awesome streusel bread. Looks delish. Buzzed

5. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

You had me at streusel :) I love almost anything with that delicious crunchy topping.

6. The Slow Roasted Italian says:

This is absolutely divine looking! I will have to try this one.

7. Strawberries are so delicious right now! This is a great recipe and it looks fantastic!

8. I've never baked anything with strawberries…but the only thing that has tempted me has been quick breads. Yours look fabulous…and what a great idea for those berries that are past their prime. Hope to try your yummy recipe.

9. Wow this looks amazingly great with those fresh strawberries :)

10. Alida @ Alida's Kitchen says:

I am also a strawberry fiend! This bread sounds incredible! I love banana bread and love strawberry bread but never put the two together. Definitely going to make this! Great pictures too!

11. Jennifurla says:

This looks like perfection, I would love a nice slice with a wee bit of butter. I too, have no controL!

12. The streusel topping really puts this over the top! Looks like a wonderful breakfast to me.

13. love the story…. sad about the stomach ache! I also think strawberry picking with kids is a delicious task…. as they always eat more than they can pick! Love the recipe – it must just taste delicious and oh so summery – Megs

14. Heidi @ Food Doodles says:

That looks fantastic! I've never baked strawberries into anything, usually because we just eat them fresh too, but I would love to try this. Love that you added hot cereal mix, I don't think I've ever seen that in a quick bread before but it sounds great!

15. Maris(In Good Taste) says:

Strawberry banana bread is absolutely brilliant! The streusel topping is the proverbial icing on the cake!

16. I love the healthy ingredients in this bread. My children and I would gobble this down in a second. I have lots of leftover strawberries I may just make!

17. I love fresh local strawberries. They're so much better than the ones that travel from far far away.
    This bread looks great, I think I'll make some for breakfasts at the office.

18. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

This sounds so good. I love any banana bread and I can't imagine how good it is with strawberries added!

19. mr. pineapple man says:

how delicious!!!

20. Jeanette says:

Carolyn, I love fresh strawberries in the summer too, and your Strawberry Banana Streusel Bread sounds like a nice healthy treat for the kids!

21. Jeanette says:

22. The Harried Cook says:

Wow.. This sounds healthy & super tasty… My little girl doesn't each sweet stuff much, but I think I could eat half that loaf myself! And the streusel topping seals the deal! Awesome post, Carolyn!

23. I don't think I would have been able to resist tasting it! Very impressive. It looks amazing.

24. I love strawberry bread!! The streusel is a great idea too :)

25. Squash Blossom Babies says:

This looks great! I can't wait to try it!

26. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

What a fantastic idea! I love enery thing about this bread. Your kids are lucky to have such a creative mama! :)

27. Claudie says:

This bread looks so pretty! Don't laugh, but, to me, it looks as if it should be in a fairy tale – it's like a little fantasy, especially with all this pink :)

28. sweetlife says:

love the story, thank you for sharing a wonderful kid friendly idea! I am surevmy kids would love this sweet treat!

29. Food Glorious Food! says:

Most gorgeous bread I have ever seen! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

30. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

You are very sneaky about the healthy snacks that mascaraed as treats. Love it!!!

31. Priscilla-ShesCookin says:

Once fresh strawberries get a bit past prime I usually add them to smoothie or make strawberry ice cream or sauce, but your strawberry banana bread looks like a winner!

32. Jill@MadAboutMacarons says:

I felt for you on the strob-binge! Easy done when they're so good, too! Now I'm totally with you on the baked strawberry thing but this cake looks fantastic, healthy and full of flavour. I can imagine your children making lots of friends while travelling, when opening up their snack!

33. Kate@Diethood says:

I can definitely relate… I've od'd on berries plenty of times…how can you not when they are so good!

That loaf looks wonderful…nothing would be left of it after my hubs sees it! Just can't tell him that it's healthy. :)

34. purabi naha says:

These pieces look perfectly baked and look delishh! There is no question on this. I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog!! Loved your blog and your photography!! Do visit mine if you love Asian (especially Indian) food. Shall come back again very soon!

35. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

I can't control myself around berries either! But I also love them in baked goods!! This bread looks incredible!

36. Sanjeeta kk says:

Love the banana and strawberry combo! Perfect breakfast bread for my kids.

37. Carolyn this looks soo delicious!! I love that it's healthy too, definitely saving this recipe! :)

38. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I'm like you, I like to enjoy strawberries fresh and uncooked, I don't really like strawberry jam or even strawberry yogurt. They just lose a little something when they are cooked. My husband in the other hand is another story, one of his favorite breads is a strawberry banana one that we would pick up at the farmer's market on the weekend.

39. Kim - Liv Life says:

Love, love love it!! And I'm certain my kids will too. You have it filled with such wonderful whole grains then sweetened with those beautiful Strawberries. Nicely done!!

delicious combination of flavours looks wonderful

41. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I had once a raspberry problem at my grandparents house. They have a couple of bushes and I went in the garden to pick some but I start eating, and eating, and eating until I felt so sick I could hardly stand.
    Man, is wasn't a good feeling. I ended up at the ER since I was around 7 and didn't know much. I still remember like it was yesterday.
    This bread sounds great. So full with delicious strawberries and the smell of bakes banana, mmm
    Thanks for sharing Carolyn

42. Cooking Rookie says:

Sooo pretty :-)

43. Wonderful and healthy bread Carolyn! I could eat this every day:)) from breakfast to quick midnight snack hahaa Great photos too!!!

44. Dee at Deelicious Sweets says:

Wow! This looks so awesome! I love strawberries in their "raw" form as well. Nothing beats a natural sweet strawberry.

45. icancookthat says:

Yum! This is a truly stunning bread. Great recipe!

46. spcookiequeen says:

I can see why I got devoured. I love strawberries in all forms, we can go pick them down the street and the are so sweet, they don't need any extra sugar. Hope you are having a great week so far.
    -Gina-

47. briarrose says:

Gorgeous tasty bread. All those berries give it such wonderful color and I love the streusel top. Definitely a must have seconds bread. ;)

48. Tiffany says:

I just made a strawberry banana bundt!!!!!!! CRAZY, huh?!?!? And like you, I have little self control sometimes. I just bought a pound and a half of cherries from WF… I'm praying I don't eat the whole bag in one sitting!

49. Matthew "mmwine" Horbund says:

Looks awesome. I think this one to make soon!