Cinnamon Roll Scones (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I am fairly certain that cinnamon may be the spice equivalent of love. Think about it. When a room smells of warm cinnamon, you feel cozy and content. It evokes a sense of well-being. And eating a homemade cinnamon roll, with all its soft dough and sweet frosting, is like receiving a comforting hug from your mother. It really can’t get any better than that. The problem is that as a diabetic, these edible hugs are off-limits. At least the conventional, refined-flour-and-sugar-that-send-your-glucose-levels-soaring is off limits. But we low carbers are nothing if not resourceful and we find ways and means to get our share of sweet cinnamon love.

I’ve attempted low carb, gluten free cinnamon rolls before. They were decent, but they need some work and I have yet to get back to them. But in the meantime I have discovered what may be the perfect stand-in. And I have two fellow bloggers to thank for that. The inspiration for this recipe came from one of my newest favourite bloggers, Cassie of Bake Your Day, who just so happened to be guest posting for another of my newest favourite bloggers, Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts. And the minute I saw the title “Cinnamon Roll Scones”, I wondered why the heck I had never thought of it myself. I love scones and I love cinnamon rolls, and to marry the two together is just so smart. And low carb, gluten free scones? Now that I can do!

It wasn’t hard to figure out how I wanted to make the scone base with almond flour. And although it’s traditional to use butter in scones, I went with coconut oil this time. I love butter, but I’ve found that coconut oil lends a tenderness to baked goods that I thought would be right for these scones. Cassie’s scones did not have a cream-cheese based icing, but I knew that I wanted one and that it wouldn’t be hard to make it low carb. For the cinnamon sugar filling/topping, I decided to do a mix of erythritol and a “brown sugar” sweetener I have called Ideal Sweetener Brown. It’s mostly sweetened with xylitol and maltodextrin, along with a little molasses for brown sugar flavour and colour.

The Results: Beyond wishing that these would rise a little more during baking, I was very pleased. These had all the cinnamon roll flavour in the wonderful texture of a scone, truly a match made in heaven. The cream cheese icing was rockin’ good, too. Finger-licking good, quite honestly. Interestingly, I found I liked these almost more a day AFTER they were made, which is usually not the case with baked goods. Usually fresh from the oven is the best, but these became more tender as a day or two passed. I think it may have been the coconut oil.

Regardless, I thank Cassie for her wonderful recipe and Erin for bringing it to my attention. They inspired a great new low carb treat, and I am forever grateful!

Cinnamon Roll Scones

Scones:
2 cups almond flour
2 tbsp granulated erythritol
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (butter may be substituted)
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling/Topping:
2 tbsp granulated erythritol
1 tbsp Ideal Sweetener Brown* (optional)
2 tsp cinnamon

Icing:
1 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp cream
1/2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

For the scones, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 325F. Whisk together almond flour, erythritol, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add in egg, coconut oil, cream, vanilla extract and stevia extract until dough comes together.

In a small bowl, whisk together filling ingredients. Sprinkle half of filling into dough and mix in, but do not fully incorporate, so that it remains streaky.

Turn out dough onto parchment-lined baking sheet and shape by hand into a rough circle, 7 or 8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with remaining topping. Slice into 8 even wedges and separate carefully, then space evenly around the baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until scones are firm and lightly browned. Keep an eye on the bottoms to make sure they don’t burn.

Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

For the icing, beat cream cheese, butter and cream together until smooth. Beat in powdered erythritol, vanilla and stevia extracts until combined. Pipe or spread over cooled scones.

* If you don’t have any brown-sugar style sweetener, just add another tablespoon of granulated erythritol.

Serves 8. Each scone has 7g of carbs and 3g of fiber, so total NET CARBS = 4g.

Comments

1. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

I love that you were able to adapt this to a low carb and gluten free version. I would love to try it, especially with the cream cheese icing. They sound awesome! Thanks for the link too! :)

2. How do you do it???? Your low carb treats look better than my original versions…this one included!

Happy weekend!

I saw them too and HAD to make them. You did a great job making them to fit your dietary needs. Now I have to make them again!

4. I love your recipes, but I will confess I rarely make them because I am unfamiliar with some of the substitutions that you make and I don't want to go buy almond flour or erythritol and then have it ONLY be used for that one recipe. Do you have a list of staple ingredients that you have on hand for low carb goods? I would love to buy the stuff, but in the past when I buy ingredients that I'm unfamiliar with they sit in the cupboard…thanks in advance! (Great blog btw :)

These sound and look amazing. You are so inventive in the kitchen. I wish I could see a recipe and turn it into my signature. I find comfort in following a recipe and knowing the end result will turn out. Most of the time. Haha!

6. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny says:

Wow these cinnamon scones look fantastic!! I'm saving this recipe for sure! :)

7. Parsley Sage says:

My poor family would have been left with smudgy scones cause I'd have licked them all clean of that amazing icing. Mmmm! Great adaptation of Cassie and Erin's post :) Buzzed and stumbled!

8. Sounds amazing! I'll definitely try these. (By the way, you forgot the word "erythritol" in your ingredient list under Filling/Topping.)

9. Way to go Carolyn!! Can't believe you could adapt this over the top treat into a version that fits your lifestyle!

I tagged you in the Seven Links game on my site – check it out!

10. Mmmm, scones. I'm visiting my daughter in England the end of this month, so there should be plenty of scones to sample.

Plus my doctor told me yesterday to watch the carbs, so this one is perfect!

11. Cinnamon scones used to be my absolute favorite thing back in my Panera going days. I've missed them terribly along with the iced latte (I live in South Florida so it's always iced) I would breakfast on at least 3 days a week. It's so hard giving up certain rituals so thank you and your inspiration for giving this one back to me.
    Cheers!

12. RavieNomNoms says:

Look at you Carolyn! That is so awesome that you made it gluten free. I will have to send this to one of my close friends that has to eat gluten free. Cinnamon is by far one of the best spices I think, especially for sweet things. The aroma always ends up reminding me of other things that are comforting.

13. holy cow, these look sooo good! and they're gluten free? mad props!

14. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

I'll eat anything covered in cinnamon and sugar! mmmm :)

15. Beloved Green says:

Are you sure these are healthy, because they look sinfully delicious! Well done.

16. These scones look amazing! Congrats on the new domain :).

17. I totally agree with you about cinnamon and love! So true. These scones look like breakfast heaven. Definitely trying these :)

18. I would not have thought it possible to make scones out of purely almond flour. Seeing is believing. :)

19. These are awesome! I saw this and did them with my baking this morning…so nice and soft and just the right amount of cinnamon sinfulness. I did some of my own substitutions :D (butter and splenda) and made them in a muffin top pan and my they are good. I have now hidden the rest so that there are at least some left for the rest of the family.

20. I never tried cinnamon Roll scones..I love this idea, vet pretty and I think it would be great for breakfast or tea party..Love your pictures!

21. Rosemary is my secret spice love. It makes everything smell like home to me, and a bit like the holidays which always makes me smile.

These cinnamon scones look awesome! I love the topping. I really really need to break down and give scones a try.

22. Rosemary is my secret spice love. It makes everything smell like home to me, and a bit like the holidays which always makes me smile.

23. Jennifurla says:

These look like perfection on a plate.

24. The Farmers Wife says:

YUM!!! Those look spectacular Carolyn! Love it!

25. These cinnamon roll scones are gorgeous – I've made scones with almond flour and coconut oil and find the texture comes out nicely, plus its gluten and dairy free, a requirement for my son who has food allergies.

26. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

They look great! I agree with you about the cinnamon aroma.

27. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Let me think… I think I have never tried cinnamon flavored scones before! You really have a magic touch to make everything possible and healthier. I have to chatch up reading here…

28. Hester aka The Chef Doc says:

Oh my, I love these scones! I totally agree with you about cinnamon and love. It just makes you feel so good!

29. Hester aka The Chef Doc says:

30. createwithmom says:

cinnamon scones looks wonderful perfect for tea time

31. Kate@Diethood says:

Oh, Carolyn! These are amazing, and just the pick-me-up one needs in the morning. Beautiful!!

32. I like cinnamon rolls and scones too, great idea. I must say I'm mighty impressed with your swirl job. Hope you have a great weekend. I've been so busy, sorry for slacking.
    -Gina-

33. Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips says:

oh wow! These look wonderful!!

34. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I made some vegan scones this morning but they don't look anywhere as beautiful as yours.
    You not only bake low carb and gluten free you bake beautiful and delicious goodies.
    Somehow I missed Cassie's post, going to check it out also.
    Thanks!

35. This flavour combination is a wonderful idea. I'm not a fan of cinnamon scrolls (although I like cinnamon) and I don't like plain scones (although I do like fruit) – I think the hybrid product here may suit me well :)

36. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

These look great! I love cinnamon rolls, but they are so unhealthy, can't eat them all the time! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

37. Cinnamon has always been a friendly flavor for our pastry recipes. Thanks for sharing this, it will add up to our line up.

38. marla {family fresh cooking}a says:

Love the scones, especially with the icing squiggles on top.

The smell of anything cinnamon baking is always heavenly! These sound amazing.

40. FamilySpice says:

So my husband has been reading this book, "Eat Your Blood Type," and it says for me (AB) to not eat gluten. I'm not celiac, but have had stomach issues for a couple years now and no diagnosis. I can do without bread & pasta, but I LOVE muffins & scones. You bet I'm going to try this!

41. DessertForTwo says:

I'm almost positive I need these in my life. Yep, certain I do. :)

42. spontaneous-euphoria says:

So happy to have stumbled across your blog. I love the name! And this looks beyond delicious!!

43. These are incredible. I love the icing you put on top.

44. I've never done any gluten free baking that was this complex, but these scones look and sound so good. I just have to make them.

Thanks for the ideas.

45. Angie's Recipes says:

Cinnamon scones, black coffee…(maybe some blues) and I am in heaven!

46. Just made these and they are scrumptious!

My batter was very wet, so i added just a little coconut flour. But worked with it wet, divided it into slices, baked without moving them apart, and it worked: i have a very moist, very tender set of scones. (I think the batter was so wet because I ground meal from sliced almonds and it doesn't give a very fine meal.) Delish! Thank you Caroline.

By the way: if you're open to ideas on experimenting with new takes on old recipes, I'd like to vote for butter tarts. with nuts. the problem is, i don't have a favourite recipe to contribute. I have no idea why, but never made them, only bought them. And only once a year, at this little store at the eastern edge of algonquin park that makes the most delicious ….

47. Let's Eat Some Good Food says:

Yummy! I love this!

48. Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

Your scones look so delicious, you do such a wonderful job of converting sweet treats to low-carb, Carolyn! I need a couple hugs ;)

49. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

I adore almond flour. It adds such rich flavor to baked goods.

50. BakingWithoutABox says:

Already bookmarked this recipe! My hubs is always wanting cinnamon rolls but neither of us need the extra "stuff" in them. Thanks Carolyn!

51. Foodness Gracious says:

Nice looking scones! I wish I had one right now for my coffee but tommorow I will because I have a scone recipe for todays post which I have wanted to try out for a while. Great minds think alike?
    Have a great week!

52. Magic of Spice says:

What a great adaptation…they look so delicious!

53. Butrcreamblondi says:

Carolyn these look delightful! The almond flour must lend amazing flavor!

54. Almond flour and coconut oil … this sounds like the recipe of success! :D

55. I just had to make this! Quick, easy and delicious! I can eat all of them all by my self! Thanks for the very nice recipe!

56. I recently discovered Cassie myself and she's absolutely amazing! So sweet and always comes up with the best stuff =) These scones look great, love the addition of the cream cheese icing!

57. These are just screaming out to me!

58. The Harried Cook says:

Love this recipe… Looks and sounds so good! I must try this… Thanks for sharing :)

59. Mother Rimmy says:

My mouth waters just looking at your pictures. I can totally taste these with the perfect cup of tea. :)

60. Shannon@JustAsDelish says:

Wow I am intrigued that this scone uses almond flour, looking forward to try. I just tried making scones for the 1st time using olive oil and yoghurt, turnt out better than expected

61. Megan's Cookin' says:

These look wonderful, I love any kind of scone! I have a question about the sweeteners you use. I notice you always use the erythritol but also Stevia drops. Why not just the erythitol alone??

62. Megan's Cookin' says:

63. Linday Coleman says:

I made these today and LOVE them. I was quite surprised by the texture- so similar to traditional scones [at least what I remember of them, anyway]. Very tasty, great texture, and the icing was delish!
    Thank you so much for a great recipe. :)
    [I've been grain-free & sugar-free for 4.5 months.]

64. Ok, I'm confused about the filling/topping. Its says to mix 1/2 the filling into the dough gently. What do you do with the other half of the filling/topping? since it says topping to you add it to the dough after it you make it round before slicing?

65. Well, that was a major step to have left out! Thanks for catching that. Yes, sprinkle the remaining topping on top, before cutting into scones.

66. Roanokemary says:

Just made these and had one with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee. Wow! So very good. I adore baked goods and have been baking since I was 10, but I, too, have become glucose intolerant, and that limits my choices to some extent. It is heartening, though, to know that I can still make and eat something this excellent without sending my blood sugar where I don't want it to go! Thanks for a great recipe, Carolyn.

67. I love this blog! so excited i came across it! I have an autistic daughter who i keep gluten free sugar free and I do much better on the lo carb /gluten free/ sugar free as well. This is such a great resource for us! Thank you so much!!!keep up the great work!!!!

68. I'm so glad you find it helpful! You know, it seems like low carb/GF is really better for everyone…it just hasn't fully caught on with every one yet!

69. As a cinnamon roll addict, I love these scones and have made them several times. I’ve also tweaked the recipe to yield something approximating Welsh tea cakes (a fave!) by adding other spices and orange zest and leaving off the topping. But the sine qua non was my inspiration this week to combine this base with the topping from your cinnamon pecan streusel bread. It yielded a result that I would proudly serve to any pecan-sticky-bun lover, low-carbing or not! I simply put some of the streusel in the batter, mounded the rest on top of the dough before slicing, and drizzled with the cream cheese frosting when done. Fantastic! Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes ;-)

70. Made these tonight! They’re AMAZING! But mine spread WAY more than yours did. They taste amazing, look hideous. LOL Any ideas why?? I followed the recipe to a “t”! Thank you for your goodies!!!

• Hmmmm, not sure. What kind of almond flour did you use? I find that the almond meal, less finely ground, can change the consistency.

• Bob’s Red Mill is what I typically use. I didn’t realize there was a difference between brands. Still relatively new to the low carb baking :)

• Bob’s Red Mill is more like almond meal…it’s not as finely ground, has bigger particles and doesn’t quite bake the same way. I love Bob’s, and it’s great for muffins and such, but I find for finer textured things like cake, it’s can lead to a different consistency. So I am guessing that was the problem here! I use Honeyville for most of my baked goods. I order it directly from their website, and if you sign up for their email list, they send discount codes every month or so.

• Awesome! Thank you so much, Carolyn! I’ll have to try it again with Honeyville. :-) Because they ARE soooooo good!!

71. I just wanted to thank you for this recipe. I’m about to make the third batch this week for my family – we love them! I have yet to make the icing, as I was out of cream cheese, but I honestly can’t imagine liking them more than I do plain! They’re perfect with coffee in the morning, or a snack later. Gave one to my friend last night and she immediately asked for the recipe.

72. Gaaaa! These are amazing! They taste perfectly like a cinnamon roll, and the icing makes them perfection. I added a little toasted chopped pecans and a Tbs. of minced raisins, and the extra carbs were worth it. Thank you for all your recipes, they have kept me on track for almost a year now :)

73. Can’t wait to try these out! All your recipes look divine!

74. KetoCooker says:

I made these today and was not that impressed. I baked them 20 minutes but they were already starting to burn on the bottom and they came out on the dry side. Bummer!

• Carolyn says:

Sounds to me like your oven runs quite hot, because no one else had this problem. Sorry they didn’t turn out!

75. I made these last night. Have made them before and everyone loved them. This is the first time I made the icing. Had a little problem. The directions for the icing says “For the icing, beat cream cheese, butter and cream together until smooth.” However, the ingredients for the icing do not list creme. I faked it but the texture was not what I wanted. How much creme was I supposed to use? Thanks

• I am so sorry about that! It’s been a long time since I made these but I imagine 1 tbsp would be sufficient.

76. I have low-carbed off and on for many years. I have tried many many recipes for bread like items (ie. low carb cookies, cakes, scones, muffins, bread etc) I am very picky about texture and taste. I absolutely loved this recipe! It worked out very well. My husband who does not low-carb also loved them as did my two-year-old.
    I did not have to add extra almond meal as some people, but I sift my almond flour before I use it so maybe that made a difference? The only tweek I made was with my sweetener. I used a combo of erythritol, nectresse and liquid Splenda (ez sweetz). The only other change was that I used coconut sugar in replace of the brown sugar substitute recommended. It is not low carb and adds 12 carbs to the count ( much lower glycemic than regular brown or white sugar).
    I look forearm to trying more recipes. Thanks

• So glad you liked it, Michelle. I am currently testing coconut sugar on my blood sugar levels to see how it does. I need to try it out a bit more before I know what I really think of it. But it’s not a bad replacement when you need it!

1. […] Cinnamon Roll Scones – All Day I Dream About Food […]

2. […] I just made cinnamon roll scones – SUGAR-FREE, LOW-CARB, AND GLUTEN-FREE, PEOPLE. They’re […]