All the flavours of a cinnamon roll in a delicious low carb, gluten-free biscotti. Perfect to dip in your morning coffee!
There seem to be some flavours that are universally loved and cinnamon is one of those. I can honestly say I’ve never met someone who doesn’t like cinnamon. It’s the spice of comfort and love. The smell of cinnamon is like coming in out of the cold and cozying up to a warm fire in your favourite slippers with your favourite person. It’s the smell of mothers’ love and happy childhoods. They say that when you want to sell your house, you should make it smell like vanilla or cinnamon by putting some in a dish in a warm oven. The people viewing the place will then subconsciously think it smells like home and want to buy it. I have no idea if this truly works but it certainly sounds like a good idea. At the very least, your house smells great even if it doesn’t sell.
And if cinnamon is like cozying up to a warm fire, then a cinnamon roll is like climbing into bed under a fluffy duvet on a cold night. Mind you, it’s a fluffy duvet made of gluten and sugar and you probably just want to go to sleep because your blood sugar has skyrocketed and your insulin is struggling to keep up. Sure, it seems comforting and insanely delicious to eat one at the time, but it’s not going to be so comforting later on when you are suffering from indigestion, weight gain or diabetic neuropathy.
I have managed low carb cinnamon rolls before and they were pretty great, but I think I could probably improve upon them. However, I also love taking those same flavours and putting them into some other delicious package that’s fun to eat and a little easier to make low carb and gluten-free. I’ve made cinnamon roll scones, cinnamon roll coffee cake and this time I thought it would be fun to make cinnamon roll biscotti. And it was fun. And delicious. And yes, even comforting. All without blanketing you in gluten and sugar and sending your blood glucose skyrocketing.
- 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- For the filling, combine sweetener and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup butter, egg and vanilla extract until dough comes together.
- Turn dough onto prepared baking sheet and divide in half. Form each half into a rectangle about 10 by 4 inches. Make sure both halves are similar in size and shape.
- Sprinkle one half with about 2/3 of the cinnamon filling. Top with the other half of the dough and seal the seams and smooth the top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned and just firm to the touch. Remove from oven and brush with remaining melted butter, then sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Let cool 30 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 250F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut log into about 15 slices (a straight up and down motion works better than sawing back and forth).
- Place slices back on baking sheet cut-side down and bake 15 minutes, then flip over and bake another 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let sit inside until cool.
- For the glaze , whisk powdered sweetener with cream and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle over cooled biscotti.
Serves 15. Each serving has 4 g of carbs and 2 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 2 g.
133 Calories; 12g Fat (79.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 113mg Sodium.