Cauliflower and Smoked Cheddar Soup (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Publishing recipes on the internet is a tricky business. Unlike in print publishing, the boundaries of copyright are a little less clear and copyright infringement is a lot easier to do. You can’t republish someone else’s recipes in print and expect to get away with it, but on the internet? On this huge wide open world of cyberspace, where anyone can publish their two cents on any subject whatsoever? I think you can see my point. And so many of us food bloggers get our inspiration from other food bloggers, steering clear of copyright infringement is tricky business indeed. Most bloggers will at least try to put their own unique spin on the dish, and will be scrupulous in giving credit and providing links to the original recipe. My own fears of plagiarism are well-developed, having been drummed into me in university and grad school.

I definitely take a lot of inspiration from my fellow food bloggers, but most of the time I am changing up the recipe to suit my needs (often, my low carb needs). But not this time. This time, I am bringing you a dish that I made exactly like the original author. Because it is an awesome recipe from an awesome blogger who I don’t think gets nearly enough attention. She is Theresa, of Island Vittles and I have been enjoying her recipes and her writing for nearly a year. It just so happens that she is a fellow Canadian, but that’s not the reason I love her blog. She has such a lovely narrative style and she creates delicious dishes out of local, seasonal ingredients that always have me coming back for more. And with my affection for both rhubarb and gin, how could I not love a blogger who made Rhubarb Gin???

Island Vittles is all about the great local food on Pender Island, one of the Gulf Islands situated between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island. I’ve never been to Pender specifically, but I have spent time on some of the other Gulf Islands, and they are pretty idyllic, I have to say. And from her blog, it would seem that Theresa is an active member of the Pender community, taking part in its markets and buying local produce and fresh seafood. She even forages for some of her food herself and cooks it up for her blog. Yep, I am a little bit jealous and I am trying to butter her up so she will invite me out for a visit.

But even though I recreated her soup wholesale, I am not plagiarizing her. Nope, because I am not going to give you the recipe, but instead send you over to her blog to check it out. It’s one that is undervalued in my opinion, and if I can draw a little attention to it, so much the better. And you will want to go visit, if only for this recipe, because it was so good. I love cauliflower in many forms, and I got pretty excited when I saw the post for this Cauliflower and Smoked Cheddar Soup. I knew I had to make it, and when I tasted it, I knew I had to share. I did make one teensy, weensy change to the recipe…I didn’t smoke my own cheddar. I don’t own a smoker and, well, buying some was easier.

I will say, I kind of like this posting and sending you elsewhere to get the recipe. It certainly makes for an easier post. Perhaps I should do this more often?

Serves 6. Each serving has a total of 8.3 g of carbs and 2.5 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.8 g.

Comments

1. The Culinary Lens says:

A very nice recipe. I love your presentation. I am often surprised when people don't credit other sites. I will often even give credit for what might only be the germ of an idea I get from somebody else

This sounds delicious so I'll definitely be going to her site for the recipe! I completely agree with your thoughts on giving credit for recipes.

I love Theresa too. If you get that invite, can you make sure she has two beds and let me tag along?

That soup looks fantastic. I would love this as is too. I'm heading over to have a look now (though I'm surprised I didn't see it before on her site).

4. Amanda at the red table says:

This looks so good…yum! Never thought of a cauliflower soup. Can't wait to try it.

5. JavelinWarrior says:

Thanks for suggesting Island Vittles and this recipes – the recipe itself is beautiful and your presentation is lovely. Especially the drops of oil on top – like little gems :)

6. This is lovely soup..I love cauliflower, but never tried in a creamy soup..I love the idea of the smoked cheddar in it..you did great job..

7. Great post Carolyn – so important to maintain integrity as a blogger. I had Theresa from Island Vittles for Secret Recipe Club last month, and after reading about her, wished I could visit Pender Island too!

8. RavieNomNoms says:

That looks amazing! I have never seen cauliflower soup but it suuuure does sound amazing!

Have a great weekend Carolyn!

9. Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) says:

Great flavor combo.. and gorgeous pictures!

10. Chef Dennis says:

hi Carolyn,
    Theresa is a gem and I can see why you used her recipe as is, the soup looks so tempting! Did I mention I love cheese!
    have a happy weekend
    Dennis

11. Island Vittles says:

Carolyn,
    You are a star! Thank you so much for this post and ALL of your kind words — I'm blushing…

And, of course, you're welcome on Pender anytime. With you and the Mom Chef in my kitchen, I think we could do anything (and live to blog about it.)

Theresa

12. I've seen a couple different cauliflower soups lately and this one REALLY makes me want to give it a whirl. Love the smokey cheddar, although like you, I think I'd just buy it. But I'm so impressed that Theresa make her own!!

13. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

This soup is like a low-carb baked potato soup with the cauliflower! I love it! And I'm saving it to make for myself soon as I have been on such a soup craze lately! I wonder if I can trick my husband into eating this!

14. alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

this sounds so good! Great combination

15. This is a beautiful looking soup! I love the color and the final touches. Must taste delicious too. As for copyright and recipes: from what I know, the recipe ingredients are not copyrighted, it's the directions that you must paraphrase. But despite that, I think you are absolutely right, and credit must be given whenever appropriate and possible! :)

16. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes says:

I must try this soup.. I've been having lots of soup lately and I think cauliflower soup sounds really good! :)

17. Jessica {The Novice Chef} says:

The smoked cheddar must take this to a whole new level!

18. A gorgeous soup! And it sounds delicious…off to check on the recipe.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

19. Briana @nuts4health.ca says:

I soo agree about always giving credit to other recipe-makers even if it's just for a germ of an idea. Plus now I have a new blog to follow (and love the fellow Canadian bit to boot!) Thanks! :)

20. This sounds fantastic! Pretty pictures too! Heading over the check out the recipe now…

21. What a great post! Thanks for sharing the story and the recipe.

22. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

One of my instructors is always saying that there is nothing new under the sun. We are all learning form someone. But you're right – we do need to be sure to give credit where credit is due. Gorgeous soup. Off to check out the recipe…

23. Foodness Gracious says:

Absolutely souper! Does that sound cheesy (Omg I'll stop now with the one liners) I had Theresa's blog on SRC once and it was a very interesting blog to visit. The cauliflower is an awesome veggie and sometimes ends up as a mash spud replacement in my kitchen.
    Take care..

24. The soup looks so homely and nice soothing. Nice presentation, gorgeous photos.

25. Eliotseats says:

What a great lo-carb recipe and thanks for the link to Island Vittles.

26. Angie's Recipes says:

The soup looks really delicious and healthy too.

27. I have rediscovered my love of cauliflower this season and have been itching to turn it into a soup. The addition of cheese in this one will make handsome soooo happy! Thanks for taste testing it, approving it and sharing it with us!

28. Kate@Diethood says:

Holy cauliflower, heaven in a bowl! Theresa's food never fails…I love her blog!!

29. Hi Carolyn. Lovely well written post. Love your spin on recipes and plagiarism. Love the support you give your fellow food bloggers. Island Vittles here I come! Have a fantastic Saturday with the family!

30. I love cauliflower soup, and this one is especially beautiful–love the addition of the smoked cheese.

31. Kristina @ spabettie says:

this soup looks amazing. Amazing!

this post is incredibly timely, as I have had many instances just this week of people using my photos and recipes – as in the entire text copied/pasted. I started to write up a post about blogger responsibility and accountability, but don't know where I'm going with it (my regular readers aren't the ones who really need to see it, right?). anyway, I appreciate you, and thank you for introducing me to another lovely blog.

Cheers!

32. The soup looks fantastic and sometimes some things are perfect the way they are. :)

33. I love creamy cauliflower soup and make it often (I managed to convert a few cauliflower haters with it:)
    The addition of smoked cheddar sounds heavenly! Thanks you and Theresa for the recipe!

34. Ummm! This all looks delicious! I love cauliflower but have never had the soup and must try it after seeing this.

35. Parsley Sage says:

You can tell you've been zapped by some sneaky ninja recipe thieves as well! (I'm still ready with my rock for that!) Lovely soup though! Heading over there now to check out the recipe :)

36. Katie @ BloomEveryday says:

Beautiful soup! Looks so tasty on a Fall evening.

37. Thanks for sharing! The soup sounds delicious!

38. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Carolyn, thank you for sharing this soup. It does sound great and I can't wait to try this. I absolutely love cauliflower in any form too and smoked cheddar sounds too good…! I visited Theresa's blog and enjoyed browsing her site. Have a good weekend!

39. Cookin' Canuck says:

I always enjoy Island Vittles blog, too and this soup looks like a winner. Wonderful flavors and perfect for a chilly night.

40. Love this comforting fall soup. The smoked cheddar is a great touch!

41. Diane {Created by Diane} says:

I LOVE soup, this sounds so delicious. Can't wait to give it a try.

42. Kate from Scratch says:

This soup is gorgeous! Sounds delicious too. Yum. Have a wonderful week! :)

43. queenglitter says:

Looks great. I love broccoli cheese soup and I've been looking for a cauliflower cheese soup recipe for awhile.

44. I love your discussion of copying – as a (soon-to-be) lawyer and general copyright geek, I can tell you recipes have veeeery, very thin protection. In our community, though, it's totally a major ethical issue even if it isn't a legal one. Awesome way to handle it!

45. Yum! This looks absolutely amazing! Love cauliflower, never thought of adding cheese to a cauliflower soup oddly enough. :) Delicious!

46. Ashley@Bakerbynature says:

This soup looks positively dreamy! I love how silky cauliflower becomes in soups like this; definitely going over to check it out!

47. Such a lovely soothing soup! And those photos are beautiful!

48. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

This is perfect for dinner today to get all warmed up. It has been raining non-stop for 4 days…

49. Kelly Senyei says:

What a great option for dinner or lunch! I love soups featuring cheese of every kind. Thanks for the inspiration!

50. This sounds really amazing! I bet the cauliflower and smoked cheddar combine perfectly – yum! :)

51. Gorgeous website and this recipe is great. I am an ex-food blogger in Paris and gave a lot of thought about the whole plagiarism issue. Recipes have been passed on for thousands of years, no one really has a right to copywrite a recipe just because they *think* they put it on the web first. And after all, they would have to then prove that no one else in the world ever posted the recipe anywhere (forums, email etc) at any time. Ego wants to possess things. I think one (not you, just anyone thinking about this) needs to examine their motives. Afterall, the same red velvet cake recipe appears in hundreds of baking books around the world. Copywriting a cake is like trying to own an idea. It’s inhuman and egotistical. So I never worried about it, even on my most original recipes. Life is much simpler that way. Love your site, btw! I’ve already shared it with my father who now has diabetes.