Sesame Wasabi Crackers (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Yum

I can distinctly remember the first time I ever had sushi. Like many young people, I was at first horrified to hear of people eating raw fish, and resisted the trend mightily. It wasn’t until I moved out to Vancouver for university, where sushi-bars were much more common, that anyone could convince me to try it. And even then, I didn’t try it until my third year. A friend finally dragged me to a funny little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that served, incongruously, really good chicken wings and really good sushi. Quite inexpensively too, and we had a feast on a university student’s budget. I fell hard and fast for sushi then, and made a point of eating it whenever I could afford it.

But as much as I love the varied and interesting flavours of sushi, perhaps one of my favourite parts of the experience isn’t the sushi at all, but the wasabi. That intensely strong, pungent green condiment has quite a hold on me. I love it, and I am known to add so much of it to my sushi that it stings my nose and the top of my head. I will squirm in my seat and press the bridge of my nose, and then just do it all over again. If it makes my eyes water, so much the better. And I love almost anything flavoured with wasabi. Those little wasabi-crusted peas? Love them. Wasabi flavoured almonds? Yes, please. And crackers, I adore wasabi-flavoured crackers. Of course, traditional wheat crackers, or even rice crackers, aren’t really an option for me anymore.

Making almond flour crackers is pretty straightforward and I’ve made a few different kinds in the past, like my Cheddar Asiago Crackers and Homemade Graham Crackers. This time, I wanted a savoury cracker with a bold flavour, and wasabi instantly sprang to mind. And I decided to pair it with another of my favourite flavours, sesame. Wasabi and sesame go so well together in sushi, I thought they’d pair very nicely in a snack cracker. I took my basic cracker recipe, added some toasted sesame seeds, and some prepared wasabi paste. I was unsure of how much wasabi to add, but I was counting on it being fairly strong so I went with a light hand.

The Results: Well, I definitely underestimated how much wasabi to use. These have great sesame flavour and I really like them as they are, but the wasabi is almost completely lost. I would say that they need at least triple the amount of wasabi paste to get the flavour to come through, and that’s how I am going to write up the recipe. If you really like the heat of wasabi, feel free to add more, I don’t think you can go wrong.

Sesame Wasabi Crackers

2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp prepared wasabi paste
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 225F.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sesame seeds, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, wasabi paste and egg.

Add butter/egg mixture to almond flour mixture and mix until a cohesive dough forms.

On a large cookie sheet, roll out into a rough rectangle between sheets of parchment paper to desired thickness. Can be made very thin, but make sure that it is of even thickness all over so the edges won’t burn before the middle crisps up.

Remove top layer of parchment. With a sharp knife, score into desired size of cracker.

Bake one hour or until firm and edges are crispy. Turn off oven and leave crackers in oven another half hour to an hour.

Carbs and servings will depend on how thin you roll your dough and how big you make your crackers. The total recipe has 67 g of carbs and 33 g of fiber. I made mine into about 40 small snack-size crackers, each having 1.7 g of carbs and 0.8 g of fiber.

Comments

1. says

Yum, these crackers look amazing! I remember the first time I tried sushi, too. There was a sushi place by my office and I decided to head over by myself and order a couple of things. At the time, I thought sushi was California rolls only. Just the nori with the rice, stuffed with fish. So I started ordering a bunch of things, and all this 100% raw fish came out. No rice, no nothing. It was horrible haha. Thankfully, I went back a couple of months later with a friend who knew what she was ordering and I really learned to like the stuff!

2. Kiri W. says

These look fantastic and came out so clean! :) I, too, love wasabi, and have had to experiment when using the powdered form. I'll have to make these some time!

3. sclark32 says

I think this might be the only way that I could actually handle wasabi! I don't really like it with my sushi because it's so spicy! But these crackers sound like they might just do the trick!

4. says

I'm such a wasabi addict..the more the better. It's weird, couldn't handle hot stuff up until I hit 30, now I can't get enough! Definitely making these…they look sooo good! I'll eat them with my wasabi peas LOL

5. says

Like you, I didn't like the though of eating raw meat, until my boss bought some sushi in the office and really made me at least have a taste. I was hooked :-) And I also love that wasabi taste. I've tasted wasabi flavored chips….I think it will taste good in crackers as well.

6. says

Hello All day I dream about food,

This is a very interesting article that I intend to try.
    The question is always how much hot flavour to add and it thoroughly depends on your audience and their tolerance for heat. I like it hot but not everybody's tastebuds interpret it the same way, it's almost best to consider building a wasabi paste to be put on crackers. Have you tried doing such a thing? What would you blend it with?

Cooksploratrice

7. says

I stayed away from sushi for a long time too for the same reason. However, my husband lived in Japan for four years so when we started dating, he INSISTED that I had to try it. I like spicy food, but he didn't prepare me for the intense heat and I still haven't forgiven him :) But these crackers look really good! I would really like to try this recipe the next time we do Japanese food.

8. says

Wasabi is my favorite part of the sushi too. I always end up with a bit too much and I am in tears. It is a good thing though. I bet these are great with just the sesame flavor. Very interesting concept.

9. says

i discovered sushi in college (university) too, and never looked back. I love every morsel of it! especially the wasabi. i've been to a couple of great sushi restaurants in vancouver, too. did you go to ubc? i was just dreaming last night of making my own gluten-free, dairy-free crackers. so i'm definitely going to try these!

10. RavieNomNoms says

Wasaaabbiii! Love it. I really enjoy sushi and it is SO good for you. These crackers are awesome. I am really really interested in trying these sometime. I still have yet to find Almond flour. I have been searching. I might have to order it online!

11. says

It took a long time for me to try sushi too, but as soon as I did, it jumped right up there on my list of favourite foods. These crackers look super yummy! I like a very mild wasabi flavour, not too strong, so I probably wouldn't need the extra paste.

12. says

What great crackers. I am not a fan of sushi, I have tried it a couple times, but I just can't do it. Probably has to do with the fact that I am not a fan of cooked fish either. I really wish I was though, it is so good for you!

13. says

I recently made some chickpea crackers that we absolutely loved. I think the next batch is going to have wasabi! I bet the flavor will work great with chickpea flour too.

14. Dave Wood says

I'll try these too. My guess is that the heat of the wasabi — a kind of radish — softens with cooking, much like turnips and other strong-flavored root vegetables. Powdered wasabi might help (with less liquid to change the chemistry during the baking?), but probably the best approach would be to dilute the wasabi with a water and brush it on the crackers just before or as they're coming out of the oven.

15. says

Haven't made that culinary step to trying sushi yet. (I keep thinking when I do get around to trying it, I will have to be on an island or a coast where I know it is fresh!) But, I love wasabi! Am addicted to those dry wasabi peas. Love this recipe!

16. Dawnab says

I’ve got these in the oven right now. I halved the recipe because the almond flour is pricey and I wanted to be sure I would love it. I took a tiny taste do the batter and wish I made the whole thing! It rolled out so smoothly, I scored them with my pizza cutter and am waiting for the timer to ding….