Maple Walnut Biscotti (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

I hate most chain emails, but I’ve always had a thing for those “You know you are from (insert location here)” lists that people send around. Those crack me up. Even if I am not from said location and don’t always get the joke, I still manage to find them funny. Or at the very least intriguing, since it piques my interest to know why people from a certain place do or say such-and-such a thing. And when you actually are from said location, then they have a way of making you feel included. Because you do get the joke, and you love it that not everyone else will. The ones for Canada tend to go something like this:

You know you are Canadian when…

You’re not offended by the term “Homo Milk”.

You know that Thrills are something to chew and “taste like soap.”

You understand the sentence, “Could you please pass me a serviette, I just spilled my poutine.”

You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.

You can do all the hand actions to Sharon, Lois and Bram’s “Skin-a-ma-rinky-dinky-doo”.

I could go on and on with these things, I really could. Another one I saw said something about being able to eat more than one piece of maple candy without feeling nauseous. I don’t know about other Canadians, but for me this is absolutely true. I have long had a passion for anything maple-flavoured. I could chug maple syrup out of the bottle, quite frankly. I refrain, but it’s tempting. For years, I used to buy my mother a bottle of “maple butter”, which is maple syrup that is further reduced and then creamed for a spreadable consistency, for her Christmas stocking. And every Christmas morning, that jar would be on the table for spreading onto our waffles or scones or whatever treat we were having. I know that on more than one occasion, I spooned it straight from the jar.

But maple syrup is sugar, plain and simple. And sugar and my body are not very good friends any more. What’s a maple syrup loving Canadian diabetic to do? Thank goodness for extracts! Long before I had diabetes, I kept a bottle of maple extract in my baking cupboard, as it’s incredibly useful for flavouring cookies and desserts. Maple syrup is expensive stuff and you don’t always want to be loading it into your baked goods when you want a maple flavour. And for those of us who can no longer eat maple syrup with abandon, maple extract is a godsend. I can get all of the flavour I adore so much, and keep the carbs at a minimum. As one of my favourite combinations has always been maple walnut, it wasn’t hard to make the leap to a maple walnut biscotti. There is something I’ve always loved about the slight bitterness of walnuts with the sweetness of maple together. For this recipe, I decided to amp up the walnut flavour with toasted walnut oil. It certainly doesn’t hurt that it makes it that much more heart-healthy for you!

The Results: I hardly need to tell you that these are good. If you are a maple walnut lover, you already know that these are good! I had concerns early on that the consistency of the oil would effect the crispness of the biscotti. But it didn’t do so at all. In fact, out of all the low carb, gluten free biscotti I’ve made thus far, these were the easiest to cut into slices and held together beautifully. And the flavour is perfect. They are great on their own, without the drizzled glaze, but let’s face it, the drizzle makes them that much more tempting.

Maple Walnut Biscotti

3/4 tsp maple extract
1/2 cup walnut baking pieces, toasted

Glaze:
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1 1/2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp maple extract

Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, granulated erythritol, Stevia in the Raw and xanthan gum. In a medium bowl, stir together walnut oil, egg, and maple extract. Add walnut oil mixture to almond flour mixture and stir until dough comes together. Stir in walnut baking pieces.

Turn dough out onto baking sheet and form into low, flat log, 10 x 4 inches. Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 250F.

With a sharp knife, gently cut into 15 even slices. Place slices back onto baking sheet cut-side down and bake for 15 minutes, then flip each slice and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let sit inside until cool.

For the glaze, whisk together the powdered erythritol with the almond milk and maple extract. Drizzle over cooled biscotti and let set 30 minutes.

Serves 15. Each biscotti has a total of 5g of carbs and 2g of fiber.

Comments

1. I love making biscotti and keep trying to remember to make it next time I have the urge to bake! This looks great!

2. I am from Maine and we know how to handle our maple candy as well. I could live off the stuff when I was a child. I need to make biscotti more often. It is such a treat to have some with tea.

3. I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP and I'm not from Canada or New England :)

My bf loves biscotti so much and these look amazing. Will try to make them asap to enjoy with our morning coffee.

4. You know, I still haven't made biscotti!!! What's wrong with me? I need to get on this right away!

5. Amazing……love the use of maple extract.Thanks for sharing.

6. Oh, those look gorgeous and delicious and decadent. While not an avid maple fiend like you, I do enjoy it and would definitely feel the empty space it it were removed from my life (especially on pancake days). I continue to be in awe at how you embrace your low carb, gluten-free lifestyle and rule it instead of it ruling you. So, so cool.

7. I think I must be part Canadian. I passed the test, but I also suppose living so close to the border and making yearly ventures over the border may have helped in that. Regardless, I want maple walnut biscotti with the cup of coffee I'm drinking right now.

8. Oh I love these, they look so delicious! :)

9. looks amazing

10. Mmmmmmm maple! I bought maple tea when I was there last summer and I am savoring it. This biscotti woul be the perfect pairing!

11. Thanks for sharing but yet, another use for Almond Flour :)
    Love biscotti, and can't wait to try the recipe!

12. Perfect biscotti…I think they should always have a drizzle of icing :) Mmmmmmm….

13. I love biscotti, so I'm absolutely loving this maple one of yours.

14. Choc Chip Uru says:

This biscotti sounds and looks divine – i would dunk at least ten into my hot chocolate :D
    I do believe it is that use of maple syrup!
    Another fabulous recipe :)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Three Layer Brownie Cheesecake

15. This is beautiful!! And I LOVE LOVE that it's gluten free!

16. delicious looking biscotti and presentation

17. food_dreamer says:

Thanks. Looks like you've got a great website there.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

18. Looks wonderful! I was stopping by because I saw you were going to be at Camp Blogaway too!

19. These biscotti look amazing, Carolyn! So tasty and golden brown, and I love that they're gluten free. Thanks for sharing!

20. Yum Carolyn – these look so pretty. Love the addition of walnut oil combined with maple flavor.

21. I got the Canadian jokes and I laughed. I've been in Australia for 15 years and I still call it a napkin. People roll their eyes at me and say, "it's a serviette."

I haven't yet said, "this ain't France!" but I think it.

I love how you've done these biscotti so everyone can enjoy them. They look wonderful.

22. LOL @ the Canadian jokes… I didn't get all of them, but the ones I got were funny! :) And I can eat a lot of maple candy, and I am not even remotely Canadian! The biscotti sounds so good! Love anything with walnut in it, and add the maple and it's perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

23. I could never understand 'newfie' jokes, until I was clued into Newfoundland and the exaggerations AND Canadian jokes in general, when I dated a guy from Ontario. We also argued as to who had the best maple syrup, Vermont or Canada? No matter, it's all good. Love maple walnut ice cream, so I know I'll love this biscotti. Another fabulous 'Carolyn' creation :)

24. Thanks Carolyn :) It's nice to have other fellow bloggers into the same 'stuff' as myself. A little at a time, we all get to help change the world :)

25. These look beautiful, and the flavor combination sounds elegant and subtle :)

26. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Doesn't look like I'm Canadian I only got two!

27. These look delicious, Carolyn! I really love that maple glaze!

28. You could chug maple from the bottle? I would probably pass out from too much sweetness :-)

29. Anything with maple, and you have my attention! I love maple pecan fudge, OH MY YUM! I need to add Biscotti to my kitchen bucket list, this is something I have been meaning to make:-) These sound seriously good, especially with my morning coffee:-) Hugs, Terra

30. These look great. Perfect for breakfast on the go.

Catherine
    (Click here to enter my anthropologie kitchen tools giveaway.)

31. geokatgirl says:

I love that you are Canadian and in my previous sugar eating life a French Canadian sugar pie was a fun time. Those were the days. I am in love with your chai spiced biscotti, so I am thrilled at this new twist. Will be making this recipe this weekend.

32. I just spent the weekend with some Canadian friends. I will have to show this to them! This biscotti looks drool worthy.

33. food_dreamer says:

A French Canadian Sugar Pie! Wow, the name alone makes my blood sugars rise. Sounds good, though. Hope you like these ones. I really did.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

34. I'm not Canadian, but love all things maple too, and these biscotti look amazing! I have all the ingredients, so heading to the kitchen to make some soon!

35. Where do you find Walnut Oil? I have everything else and I want to make this ASAP. :)

36. Carolyn, what maple extract do you use? I’ve tried several, none are nearly as good as real maple syrup… (I too am Canadian, and my grandfather made maple syrup. On so many different levels, it’s in my blood. I *have* chugged it from the bottle)

37. Nancy Musser says:

Hi Carolyn! It is COLD outside today but instead of turning on the furnace I decided to bake (just to take the chill off the house). I am trying these beautiful looking cookies! Of course I don’t have all of the same ingredients…I am using coconut extract, coconut oil, a bit of coconut flour (to the almond flour) and adding 1/2 a ripe banana. I have no idea how they will turn out but the batter sure tastes good!! How many net carbs do yours have?

38. Oh my goodness! I made these today and they were DELICIOUS! Even my husband thinks so (he LOVES his sweets) I couldn’t find the maple extract so I used vanilla instead since I had that on hand. Once I get my hands on maple extract, I will definitely have to try these again. :) Thanks for the recipe!

39. Michele says:

Just made these and they were wonderful – Thanks!
    (Wanted to send you a pix, but the site wouldn’t let me paste it in)

40. I would love to try this recipe but my computer does not sit where I bake. Is there anyway you could and a print option to your recipes? I don’t understand why everyone does not offer that option when they offer recipes as not many people have a computer in the kitchen :(

41. I cannot find a print button for this recipe. Fortunately I know how to copy and paste.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts and I’m descended on my mother’s side from Quebecois. I love all things maple.

42. Well I found a print button but it prints the whole article (11 pages!), not just the recipe.

43. I tried copy and past would not do that either.

44. Carolyn says:

Yes, well it would. That’s the print button for your whole browser since this recipe is not formatted on Ziplist.

1. […] Maple Walnut Biscotti from All Day I Dream About Food […]