Kahlua Cheesecake with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Yum

Once upon a time, I used to say that I didn’t really like cake.  And by cake, I meant the traditional sort of sponge cake with piles of frosting.  I’d simply had too many of those out-of-a-box-with-canned-icing type cakes and they were virtually flavourless, except for being so sweet as to make my teeth ache.  My husband caught on to this fact early on and proceeded to buy me a succession of ice cream cakes to celebrate birthdays and other major milestones.  Since that time, I’ve discovered the joys of a good, moist homemade spongecake with rich homemade buttercream frosting.  But I still have a strong penchant for other kinds of cake…cheesecake in particular.  Cheesecake is never too dry, never too crumbly.  It can be a little too sweet sometimes, but with care, cheesecake can be just the right amount of sweet while still maintaining that delightful tang of the cream cheese.  And the choices of flavours and flavour combinations are virtually limiteless.  You can see why it’s a beloved kind of cake for me.

And thankfully, cheesecake is easily made low carb.  Obviously the traditional graham cracker or cookie crust has to go, but that’s easily replaced with a little nut flour, sweetener and butter.  In fact, I daresay that you would have a hard time knowing the difference, if I didn’t tell you.  The filling part is very much the same as with any cheesecake – cream cheese, eggs and your sweetener of choice.  The toughest part is deciding what flavour of cheesecake you want to make!

I found myself in the mood for something rich and gooey over the weekend.  I declared to my husband that I was going to make some sort of cheesecake, I just didn’t know what yet.  But I knew I wanted it to have a drizzly chocolate sauce, the sort that makes you want to run each bite around your plate to get every little drop.  But not plain chocolate, not this time.  And not chocolate peanut butter either, because I am saving that heavenly combo for my birthday (oh yes, stay tuned for that.  I haven’t even made it yet and I know it’s going to be good).  Coffee is always a good bet when it comes to chocolate.  So is alcohol.  Better yet, coffee AND alcohol!   So coffee liqueur was the next logical step.

The Results: There is simply no way this could NOT be good.  Cheesecake?  Good.  Kahlua?  Good.  Gooey chocolate sauce?  Goooooooood!  So yes, it was good.  Very good.  My only very minor issue as follows:  unsweetened chocolate is finicky to work with and doesn’t blend well with other ingredients.  I know this, and that’s why I added it to the filling last, very slowly while my stand-mixer was running, in an attempt to beat it in smoothly.  I still ended up with a somewhat flecked appearance to my cheesecake, but that hardly made a difference to the taste.  However, I might consider leaving the chocolate out of the batter next time altogether, as I really did want a coffee/Kahlua flavour to the cake, and have the chocolate contained in the sauce.  Either way, however, it’s still really good.

Kahlua Cheesecake with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce

Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp Kahlua or other coffee liqueur

For the crust, preheat oven to 350F.

In a 9-inch spring-form pan, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, and erythritol.  Stir in melted butter until dough begins to clump together.  Press evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake 10 minutes.  Remove and let cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together instant coffee and hot water until coffee dissolves.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined, then beat in erythritol, Kahlua, vanilla and stevia extract, scraping down beaters and sides of bowl as needed.  Beat in coffee/water mixture.

Slowly add melted chocolate while continuing to beat, until fully combined.  Give the batter a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is fully mixed.

Preheat oven to 300F

Taking care not to disturb cooled crust, brush sides of spring-form pan with melted butter.  Pour filling over cooled crust and bake until set, about 40 minutes.  Remove and let cool, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.

Serves 10.  Each serving has a total of 10.5 g of carbs and 3.4 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 7.1 g

Comments

1. says

I agree, it is hard to find a good quality store-bought cake! And actually, I never loved cake and icing until recently so I used to always request an ice cream cake for my birthday:-)

This cheesecake looks amazing, I am pretty sure it would get devoured in my kitchen……. by me!

2. says

This looks delish. You don't have the instructions on how to make the sauce. I'm just asking because many times when making fudge sauce, I use the premelted unsweetened chocolate, it mixes much better and you don't have the "fleck" problem. Just an idea!! Thanks for sharing this yummy treat!

3. RavieNomNoms says

Hahaha your "Cheesecake? Good. Kahlua? Good. Gooey chocolate sauce? Goooooooood!", reminds me of Friends. There was an episode where Joey did that exact same thing haha.

This looks heavenly!

4. says

I'm usually a fan of cheesecake bases, but not so much the filling. Your pictures here make me think this cheesecake could be one where I like both bits!

5. says

I was just like you until I started baking! My mom doesn't bake and so all we got was storebought cake. I totally went off cakes until I discovered homemade cakes ROCK! Cheesecakes are also SO much better made at home… This one is so delicious sounding! Love the neat slices with that fabulous sauce… Yum!

6. Mi Vida en un Dulce says

I have to bookmark this recipe, it's wonderful, your cheese cake looks so yummy, so perfect…!!!

7. Dottie says

I have everything needed except 25 drops Stevia Extract. :-( Is there anyway around this? All these sugar substitutes confuse me. I do have Erithritol (haven't used it) and I have Truvia (haven't used it either).

8. Julie says

Your cheesecake looks amazing! I will have to try it. I have only made one cheesecake and the top had a big crack. I was wondering if you use a water bath when making cheesecake. Please let me know. Thanks!

9. food_dreamer says

I did not use a water bath with this one at all, and it had no cracks, nor did it sink in the middle. I was really pleased! I have used a water bath before, for a pumpkin cheesecake. That worked well. I think it really depends, recipe to recipe. If you make this one, skip the water bath.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

10. says

I am learning to expand my cheesecake love – as a while ago I was a traditionalist – Philly style or bust. But now that I have tasted so many new things, the idea of kahlua cheesecake has me excited and wanting my own slice to taste test.

11. Dottie says

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your reply right away. I have a 9.8oz container of Truvia. BUT, I got online and ordered EZ Sweetz and it has arrived, so I'm ready to make this yummy looking recipe. I would still like to know how to use the Truvia in place of the Stevia drops though.
    Thank you!

12. Christine Castaneda says

#Omnomnom
    Can’t wait to make this when I receive my order of DaVinci Sugar Free Kahlua syrup.
    Thanks!!!

13. Suzanne says

It would be very helpful to have the nutritional data, as I have diabetes and I must count carbs. Thank you.

• Carolyn says

The carb count is right down at the bottom of the post. I have diabetes too. I did not do the full calculation for this recipe way back when but you can enter the ingredients into a software like MyFitnessPal and get the info.

14. Debbie says

I love cheese cakes, the whole recipe looks easy and tasty. My dr reciently took me off dairy. Ive been dairy free before and didiwell but missed all the cheeses. Im going to try this and for the cream cheese use the fat frpm the can coconut milk and some hemp cheese I made by first making hemp milk, making yogurt from it then straining it in a nut bag for 24 hr. Planning on mixing the two for the cream cheese. I’m hoping it will at least be close. Ill let you lnow. Im hopeful. Deb

• Debbie says

Well i did it! I made hemp milk ( did not strain the milk) made yogurt from that then strained the yogurt in a nut bag for 24 hrs. On its own the hemp was strong! So i made this recipe adding more coffee flavor in the form extract and coconut milk powder, coconut butter and cocoa butter. It was very creamy and set up beautifully. I used swerve only for the sweetness. It was really amazing. I wish i could post a picture.

15. Debbie says

Oh I see it you! Making another now from the rest of the hemp cheese…just tell me how to post a picture or several and I will.