Greek Shrimp with Feta, Tomatoes and White Wine (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

There are a lot of great recipes out there in the world, but every so often, one comes along and knocks your socks off.  You think it sounds pretty good on paper, you make sure you have all the ingredients, and you start cooking.  You smell the lovely smells emanating from your kitchen, your fingers are crossed that it tastes as good as it smells.  You sit down and take a bit, and you sigh with pleasure.  Yup, this is it.  This one is a keeper, one that is destined to go into rotation as a standard favourite.  Bonus points if it’s easy enough to throw together on a weeknight.  Double bonus points if it’s good enough to serve to company on a special occasion.  This, my friends, is such a recipe.  Or rather, this is my low carb, gluten free adaptation of such a recipe.

I found the original recipe years ago on Epicurious, and it instantly became a family favourite.  It fit all the requirements…easy enough to put together in a pinch, as long as I had the ingredients on hand, but also special enough to serve to friends and family as a special dish.  I made it countless times and got to the point where I barely needed to consult the printed recipe.  And then I didn’t make it for several years, until the other day.  The original recipe has a base of orzo, which obviously is no longer an option for me.  But that isn’t the reason I put the recipe away for a while.  The real reason is that I had an “incident” after eating it last time…I must have had an incipient stomach flu, because I awoke in the night and was violently ill for a good 24 hours.  The rest of the family was fine, so I was the only person who was so affected.  And I simply could not bear the thought of making or eating this beloved recipe.

But we were having friends over this past weekend, and I wanted an easy, delicious dish to serve.  I must have gotten over my aversion to this meal somewhere along the way, because it popped into my head as the perfect thing.  Or rather, the perfect thing to serve my guests.  But what was I going to eat?  I could have just made some of the extra shrimp and tomato topping for myself and just had that.  But I decided to take a stab at making it over “rice”, to make a full meal out of it.  So I made two versions, one with orzo and one with cauliflower “rice” (which is really just cauliflower shredded finely to resemble rice).

The Results:  I am thrilled to tell you that not only was I very much over my aversion to shrimp baked with feta, tomatoes and white wine, but that the low carb version came out beautifully.  I had to modify the recipe quite a bit to account for the much higher moisture content in cauliflower compared to orzo, and I still ended up with a bit of liquid at the bottom of the baking dish.  But simply using a slotted spoon to scoop up the shrimpy goodness helped with that.  The nice part is that the flavours of the shrimp/tomato topping tend to dominate, so you really don’t taste cauliflower at all.  I love cauliflower, personally, but I liked that this dish tasted pretty much the way the original, high carb version does.

All in all, a success that I am more than happy to share with my readers.

Greek Shrimp with Feta, Tomatoes and White Wine

Cauliflower Rice:
1 head cauliflower
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

Greek Shrimp:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup white wine
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

For the cauliflower rice, cut cauliflower into 1-inch florets.  Place half in food processor and pulse until it resembles rice grains.  Transfer to a large micro-wave safe bowl and repeat with remaining cauliflower florets.

Cover bowl with a tight-fitting lid or plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes.  Let sit 5 to 10 minutes, still covered, to continue to steam.

Heat oven to 350F and lightly oil an 11×7 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.  Drain cauliflower in a colander to remove any moisture, then return to bowl and toss with olive oil, crumbled feta, grated parmesan and chopped basil.  Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish and set aside.

For the shrimp, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add shrimp and saute until just barely not pink, about 1 minute  (it will continue to cook in oven).  Arrange shrimp over cauliflower rice and set aside.

Add white wine to skillet and cook until reduced to a few tablespoons.  Add drained tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper and cook until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.  Pour sauce over shrimp and place baking dish in oven.  Bake 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and serve, sprinkling servings with remaining crumbled feta.

Serves 6.  Each serving has a total of 9.5 g of carbs and 3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 6.5 g.

Comments

1. I really like how you've used cauliflower here! And there's no denying that shrimp and feta are match made in heaven!

2. Wow …..this seems to be a raelly healthy salad…….love it.

3. Lloyd would love this!

4. Gorgeous meal!

5. And I'm ready to pick up a fork and dig into this dish RIGHT NOW!

6. themessybakerblog says:

Oh my, this looks so yummy. Love me some feta!

7. I was just thinking of this dish the other day – wondering if cauliflower "orzo" would be okay – and Voila – you did it again – Thank You!!!!

8. RavieNomNoms says:

I just posted a shrimp recipe too. I like yours with the feta and tomatoes! What a nice combination that must be

9. I've been devouring Greek so often lately, and this is right up my alley, Carolyn! Beautiful Mediterranean dish, Carolyn. Love it!

10. I've never had shrimp and feta together. (What have I been eating all these years?!) This looks phenomenal!

11. Yes, love dishes that come out so perfectly that it's company-worthy. This one looks amazing and I bet you're so glad to be eating it again.

12. Wow, just love your blog and recipes! The shrimp and feta look magnificent and love cauli orzo/rice!

13. I have a dish like this at my fav Greek restaurant, just the shrimp and feta, and a big Greek salad-yum! I don't think you even need the cauliflower.

14. Love your low carb version of this recipe :)

15. Delish!! Shrimp and Feta sound so good!!

16. KeepItSweet says:

What a creative idea to make this low carb, love it!

17. Oh wow – what a winner! All of my favorite things, and cauliflower rice can be delicious, too :)

18. I was actually really excited to see the cauliflower based version because I LOVE cauliflower and it would just be another way for me to get my family to eat their vegetables. It looks delicious (as per usual).

19. Great recipe-love that it is low carb!

20. food_dreamer says:

It did turn out quite well, the cauliflower being a good stand in for the orzo. It does get a bit liquidy at the bottom, no matter how much you drain off, but a slotted spoon for serving helps.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

21. stephday says:

I love the use of cauliflower here! Such fresh flavors!

22. Love keeper recipes like this and healthy to boot. Loving the feta in there for a touch of Greek sunshine, Carolyn.

23. I've never tried this combination, but I've seen it before, so I really must make this!

24. elsellin says:

I made something similar to this for my husband years ago, and he loved it. Not sure how it has never been made or thought of again! Great job with the rice makeover

25. Emily @ Life on Food says:

This sounds delicious. I love pretty much any dish with shrimp but how can you go wrong with added tomatoes and feta. I cannot wait to try this out.

26. Oh, this looks delish, Carolyn!!!! And I love the idea of cauliflower rice…yummy! Happy Easter, my friend!

27. This looks fantastic. My kids would eat this for sure too!

28. Jeanette says:

Thank you for another delicious recipe. Now all you need is a PIN IT button! :-)
    http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/ tells you how to add a follow button to your posts….

29. Jeanette says:

I see the PIN IT button, sorry, I must have missed it before!!!!

30. Great flavors! This is a beautiful recipe, can see why it is a favorite :)

31. What a delicious recipe. This is my kind of dinner. Yummy and healthy!

32. I made this tonight and it was fantastic. I used twice as much red pepper as you called for because I really love spice, and I used dried basil because it's what I had on hand. It was fantastic! Thanks so much for a great dish.

33. food_dreamer says:

So glad it worked for you!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

34. Katharine says:

Just made this and totally loved it!! My family is bumming me out lately because my kids aren’t digging anything I’ve tried in the past 2 weeks (“well I *did* like the shrimp, but not the tomatoes, and the tomatoes were touching the shrimp…”….. I’m sure you know how that goes.). But anyway I loved it and can’t wait to eat it as leftovers! I didn’t have any trouble with it being too liquidy. The recipe was perfect as written.

35. Great combo of flavors, I just ordered shiritaki-some fettucini, angel hair and rice.
    can’t wait to make this when my “rice” gets here this week.

1. […] Greek Shrimp with Feta, Tomatoes, and White Wine from All Day I Dream About Food […]