This Keto Pulled Pork is lusciously tender and so easy to make! Pair it with sugar free BBQ sauce for extra flavor. It’s dairy-free, and only 2g total carbs per serving. Oven instructions included too!
My family is absolutely bonkers for this keto pulled pork. It’s so mouthwateringly tender, with a sweet and spicy kick. And since it’s cooked in an Instant Pot, it takes only about half the time to make.
How delicious is that?
Now don’t panic if you don’t have an IP, as you can still make this keto pulled pork in the oven. It’s just as easy, albeit more time consuming. Check out the recipe notes for those instructions.
Keto recipes in the Instant Pot
This multipurpose kitchen gadget really is incredibly useful for keto cooking. I’ve made so many wonderful family dinners, including creamy chicken and mushrooms and keto salsa chicken.
It’s even useful for desserts like keto pecan pie cheesecake.
Instant Pots have their limitations, of course and sometimes they aren’t any faster than than making the recipe on your stove top. Things like keto pork chops don’t fare as well, as the fat tends to get rubbery and chewy.
And if you want nicely browned meats with a crisp exterior, skip the IP and use your oven or an air fryer.
But the Instant Pot does a spectacular job on tougher cuts of meat that require slow cooking with liquid, like stews, curries, and braised meats. And shredded meats, like keto pulled pork, are an ideal match.
An oven braised pulled pork recipe will take upwards of 3 hours, but this Instant Pot Pulled Pork takes only about an hour and a half, start to finish!
How to make keto pulled pork
This is one of our favorite easy keto dinner recipes. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Cut the meat into chunks. A whole 3 or 4 lb roast takes a lot longer to cook through, so cutting it up saves even more time.
- Brown the pork first. This helps caramelize the fats and bring out better flavor in the meat. Use the sauté function on the Instant Pot.
- Don’t add too much liquid. While braising helps tenderize the meat, pressure cooking will force the meat release plenty of its own juices. I find that many IP recipes add far too much liquid, resulting in a watery result with a diluted flavor.
- Add the BBQ sauce after cooking. Because the pressure releases so much liquid, your sauce will get far too diluted if you add it into the pot before cooking.
- Reserve a little of the cooking liquid. Depending on the cut of meat, pulled pork can get a little dry as it sits. Stir in a bit of the cooking liquid, which includes fat from the bacon grease as well as the juices from the pork itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not to worry, I’ve included oven cooking instructions in the recipe notes. I don’t want to leave anyone hanging, unable to make this delicious keto pulled pork!
Absolutely. I recommend browning the meat in a skillet first, and cooking on low for 6 to 8 hours. Use the same amount of broth as the oven instructions.
Yes, you can use any fat or oil you prefer. I recommend using one that withstands high heat like coconut oil or avocado oil. Lard or beef tallow would also work.
Yes, this is a fabulous make-ahead recipe. We make a bunch at once and refrigerate the leftovers for another meal. And shredded meats like this freeze very nicely.
What to serve with keto pulled pork
So many delicious ways to serve this easy keto meal! Here are some fun ideas:
- With cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- On keto cheddar zucchini waffles
- Over a slice of keto cornbread
- Overtop some keto zucchini fritters
- As lettuce wraps
- With a side of Dill Pickle Coleslaw
Keto Pulled Pork
- Pat the pork roast dry with a clean rag, then chop into large chunks for faster cooking. Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper.
- Turn the instant pot on to the saute function and add the bacon grease. Once melted and hot, add half the pork chunks and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining chunks.
- Place all the pork back in the pot and sprinkle with the chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Pour in the chicken broth and seal the lid. Make sure the vent is on seal.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual high for 45 minutes. Once cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks. Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and transfer to the oven and let cook 3 hours. Then remove and shred the pork and toss with the BBQ sauce.