Keto strawberry scones are a great way to enjoy fresh berry season. Cream cheese makes these grain-free scones deliciously tender and melt in your mouth.
Strawberry season is fleeting and I like to make the most of it! Which is why I spend most of every June creating delicious keto strawberry recipes.
I just can’t get enough of those beautiful red berries, especially when they’re fresh and local. I wait all year for them to come into season and then I go bananas make all sorts of keto dessert recipes and other keto treats.
Or maybe I should say I go strawberries???
Adding cream cheese to keto scones
Obviously I was inspired by the mounds of fresh strawberries at my local farmers market. But I had also saved a recipe for strawberry cream cheese scones from A Latte Food.
They looked so pretty and fresh, I knew I wanted to ketofy them.
Cream cheese is a brilliant addition to scones. Classic scones typically take butter or heavy cream as their fat source. Using cream cheese is like marrying these two things together.
Cream cheese has the added benefit of binding the scone dough, since it also contains some thickeners. You still need some heavy cream to moisten the dough properly but they incredibly rich and tender!
How to make keto strawberry scones
This keto scone recipe comes together easily and the results are phenomenal. However, I do have some good tips for getting the best out of your strawberry scones. It’s worth reading!
- Line with parchment or silicone: Don’t forget to line your baking sheet! I prefer silicone mats because they are reusable and they protect the bottom of the scones from browning too much.
- Whisk the dry ingredients first: This helps to evenly distribute the baking powder.
- Soften the cream cheese properly. Let it sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Because you need it in small pieces, you will want to cut it while it’s still chilled.
- Cut the cream cheese into the dry ingredients: “Cutting in” means working the cream cheese into the flour mixture. The best way to do this is with a pastry cutter, but you can use two sharp knives as well. The cream cheese should end up as very tiny pieces, each covered in dry ingredients. This gives the scones a flakier, more tender texture.
- Add the egg, whipping cream, and vanilla. Stir these ingredients in until the dough comes together. It should still seem a little crumbly.
- Pick firm but ripe berries. Because strawberries release a lot of moisture when baked, you want to pick relatively firm berries. They should still be nice and ripe, but not squishy or mushy. Otherwise your scones may not firm up properly.
- Gently fold the berries into the dough. Take care not to crush them too much as you work them in! You also want even distribution throughout the scone dough.
- Shape and cut the dough. Gather the dough together and form it into a circle on the prepared baking sheet, then cut into 8 wedges. Distribute the wedges around the sheet so that they bake properly. I recommend a small offset spatula for gently wiggling under the scones to lift them.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch. Let them cool completely after baking to firm up properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
I do not recommend frozen strawberries in this recipe. They go mushy and release so much liquid as they thaw and cook, your keto strawberry scones will never cook through properly.
You can make this recipe with almond flour only, but you will need an additional ¾ cup. It will change the consistency a bit and it will raise the carb count a little.
I haven’t tried it myself but you should be able to use dairy free cream cheese and then some coconut cream in place of the heavy whipping cream.
Absolutely! Have some fun with it.
These scones are a little more moist than most, so if you think they will be around more than a day or two, I recommend storing them in the fridge.
Rave review for Keto Strawberry Scones
I gave some of these scones to a friend of mine, who is not on a keto diet. She likes most of my creations as it is, but anything with cream cheese has her hooked. Here’s what she texted me later, word for word:
I don’t think I’ve ever heard her use the word “wowee” so you know these keto strawberry scones are really something!
More amazing keto cream cheese recipes
- Keto Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Lemon Cream Cheese Muffins
- Gingerbread Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Keto Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Keto Strawberry Cream Cheese Scones
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- water to thin if needed
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cream cheese in small chunks and cut in with a pastry cutter or two sharp knives until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg, whipping cream, and vanilla extract.
- Carefully fold in the chopped berries until they are distributed throughout the dough. Gather the dough together and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Pat into a 7 inch circle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 even wedges. Wiggle an offset spatula carefully underneath the wedges and distribute around the baking sheet so that they aren't touching.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely on the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sweetener and the cream until well combined. Add a little water at a time until a drizzling consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle over the cooled scones.