Get into the holiday spirit with these low carb eggnog scones. Such a festive keto breakfast treat!
Okay, so you’ve made a big batch of my sugar-free eggnog. You’ve had turned it into a cocktail or two, you’ve made a few low carb eggnog lattes. Now what? You still have a few cups left and you’re worried it will go bad. I feel you! Even when I only make a half batch, I typically get to a point where I’ve had enough of it as a drink and I am left staring at the container. Eggnog is rich stuff. Deliciously, keto friendly rich stuff but it can be hard to slog your way through a whole batch of it unless you have a lot of little helpers. And the little helpers in my house don’t like eggnog so it’s left to me and my husband to put it away.
Thankfully, it’s really fun to bake with. I’ve made low carb eggnog bread and low carb eggnog cheesecake bars in the past. I also made eggnog donuts last year. This year, I mulled over a number of options. Eggnog ice cream? Eggnog cookies? Eggnog Pie? Many of these sounded appealing but I was up early one morning and I was hungry, so I opted for scones.
Now, my little helpers may not like eggnog as a drink but they sure like eggnog in scone form. I barely managed to wrangle one of these for myself, they were so popular. Now I have a really good idea what to serve on Christmas morning. And what to do when I have a cup or two of sugar-free eggnog staring me in the face!
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp sugar-free eggnog
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in the eggnog, egg, and extract and mix until well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and pat into a 7-inch circle. Use a large sharp knife to cut into 8 even wedges.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 5 minutes, then carefully cut apart and space out around the baking sheet. Return to the warm oven for 7 to 10 minutes to allow to firm up a little more. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sweetener and the eggnog until smooth. Drizzle or spread over cooled scones.
Food energy: 182kcal
Total fat: 15.29g
Calories from fat: 136
Total dietary fiber: 3.03g