Want to get more grassfed gelatin into your diet? Try these fun low carb Hot Chocolate Gummies for a fun treat.
I’ve become quite a devotee of grassfed gelatin. As someone who works hard and plays hard, who lifts heavy weights for the sheer thrill of it and puts some serious stress on her joints, the added collagen can only be beneficial. I’ve added a fair bit of it to my hot drinks but I don’t do it every day. With some cream and sweetener, it’s not just palatable, it’s actually quite tasty in a coffee or hot chocolate. But I simply forget to do it a lot of the time. Life with three kids and work has a tendency to make me forget to do the things that are good for me. I suspect that many of you know the feeling. What else is new, right? So I am always looking for fun ways to add healthy grassfed gelatin to my and my family’s diets.
As I often put gelatin in my hot, comforting drinks like hot chocolate, it was only a matter of time before I made something more of it. I thought hot chocolate flavoured gummies would appeal to my kids to and get a little of the healthy gelatin into their systems.
I decided to sweeten these with THM Sweet Blend, a blend of erythritol and stevia. I’ve talked a little about the Trim Healthy Mama diet before. It’s not a diet I can follow, because of the carb-cycling aspect, but it’s one that seems to work for countless women (and sometimes their husbands and children too). It focuses on getting women to eat healthy whole foods and eschew sugar, so it’s certainly a diet I can support. And they’ve been wonderfully supportive of me as well, welcoming me into their group and allowing me to share my recipes.
These gummies are a fun, healthy and delicious snack, with almost no appreciable carbohydrate and or fat content. If you happen to be a THM follower (and I know many of you are), this would fall under a Fuel Pull. And if you are like me, and on the straight-up low carb diet, then these are just a fun snack you can fit into almost any part of your day. And did I mention that my kids loved them? Can’t beat that.
- 2 tbsp grassfed gelatin orange can
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk divided
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 to 2 tsp THM Sweet Blend OR 1 to 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the gelatin and 1/2 cup of the nut milk. Let sit to thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine nut milk with cocoa powder and sweetener. Heat to just steaming but not simmering, whisking to combine. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Add gelatin mixture to the hot cocoa mixture and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Pour mixture into prepared pan and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours until firm.
- Lift parchment out and cut into squares or make fun shapes.
Serves 4. Each serving has 2.13 g of carbs and .9 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1.23 g.
Food energy: 32kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 0.22g
Total fat: 1.35g
Calories from fat: 12
Total dietary fiber: 0.90g