The classic summer treat gets a low carb makeover! These keto s’mores bars are like your best childhood memory in a delicious sugar-free package. This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill.
These keto friendly S’mores Bars were first posted back in July of 2016. In honor of National S’mores Day, I decided to give them a bit of an update with some brand new photos. Now they’re gooier and better than ever!
Do you remember your first time? I can remember mine clear as day. It was a beautiful sunny day in rural Ontario and I just knew it would a momentous, life-changing experience. Wait, what? What are you talking about? Why are you squirming in discomfort?
Oh, you thought I was referring to THAT “first time”. Goodness no, that would just be weird. And kind of inappropriate to discuss on a food blog, wouldn’t you say?
I am just referring to the first time you ever had the gooey deliciousness known as S’mores. Come to think of it, having a s’more for the first time was probably as memorable, and possibly more so, than that other “first time”. You know, just between you and me…
Keto S’mores Inspiration
I saw a recipe for sheet pan s’mores in Cooking Light a few weeks ago and it had meringue on top in place of the marshmallows. It wasn’t my magazine so I quickly snapped a photo of the recipe for reference and started scheming on how to make them with low carb ingredients.
The graham cracker crust was easy with the help of my trusty sidekick, Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour. I already have a great keto graham crackers recipe, and I always make them with Bob’s. But you don’t have to make the full crackers first, you simply use many of the same ingredients.
The filling was simple as well, as I just made a rich chocolate ganache, similar to my keto fudge crumb bars.
It was the topping that gave me a bit of a hard time. I tried the magazine’s method of broiling the meringue and that was a bad, bad, BAD idea. I had it under there for barely a minute when it caught on fire and burned the whole mess. I didn’t eve have it that close to the broiler. I guess sugar-free meringue simply isn’t made to be broiled.
Thankfully, I was able to scrape off the burned meringue topping as one big gloopy piece and I rescued the filling and crust. Phew, because I think I would have cried to see all that glorious stuff go into the garbage.
The next day, I tried again, using the meringue topping from my keto lemon meringue pie. And ended up with lovely light browned peaks and swirls reminiscent of the most perfectly toasted marshmallow.
A delicious childhood memory in a low carb and sugar-free package. What could be better?
Tips for the best keto s’mores bars
These bars are quite easy, as long as you don’t set your meringue on fire as I did. Now that you know what to watch for, here are some other great tips on getting it right:
- As I said above, you don’t have to go to the trouble of fully making your own keto graham crackers. The basic ingredients are the same, but this is a simple press-in almond flour crust that you bake for 12 to 15 minutes before adding the chocolate filling and the topping.
- When making a chocolate ganache filling, be sure to bring your cream to a full simmer. You want to see bubbles around the edges and a few breaking the surface in the center. Then quickly remove it from heat and add the chocolate.
- The chocolate you use should be chopped in advance, or you can use keto chocolate chips. The smaller particles melt more quickly in the hot cream.
- The meringue topping for these keto smores bars is the same as it was before except for one thing: I used both Swerve and BochaSweet. The BochaSweet allows the meringue to stay softer and gooier without getting gritty – more marshmallow-like, to be honest. However, you can use all Swerve if you need to.
- Do not attempt to broil this topping, unless you want to set off your smoke alarm! Simply bake for 20 minutes and you should get some beautiful browned peaks and swirls, just like toasted marshmallows.
Ready to make some delicious Keto Smores Bars?
More tasty keto summer recipes
- Keto Lemon Curd Ice Cream
- Keto Peanut Butter Pie – no bake!
- Easy Keto Cheesecake Bites
- Keto Root Beer Floats
- Keto Blueberry Coconut Popsicles
- Keto Berry Cheesecake Salad
The classic summer treat gets a keto makeover! These keto s'mores bars are like your best childhood memory in a delicious sugar-free package.
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips, sugar-free ChocZero or Lily's recommended
Preheat the oven to 325F and line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang for easy removal.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well combined.
Press into the bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until just beginning to brown on the edges. Remove and let cool while preparing topping.
In a small saucepan, bring the cream to just a simmer. Remove from heat.
Add the chocolate chips and let sit 5 minutes to melt, then whisk in until smooth. Spread over the cooled crust and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 300F.
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until frothy. With beaters going, slowly add the sweeteners and vanilla extract and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Spread over the cooled filling, swirling with a spoon to make peaks. Bake 20 minutes or until topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch.
Refrigerate at least another hour to firm up, then gently lift out by parchment paper edges and cut into squares.