Artichoke, Sausage and Parmesan Stuffing (Low Carb)

There are some foods that just taste better after they’ve been sitting for a few days. Somehow, the flavours mellow and mingle while hanging out in the fridge together, and the leftovers surpass the freshly made dish. Stew is one of these foods, and I’m of the mind that Thanksgiving stuffing is too. This is the main reason that I’ve already cooked our stuffing, although our feast is still more than 48 hours away. It also serves the dual purpose in eliminating at least one dish from competing for oven space with the ever-important turkey. I covet the kitchens with two (or more!) ovens, but I don’t think I am going to own one any time soon.

It was remarkably simple to convert a regular stuffing recipe to low carb. I simply made a loaf of my Rosemary Olive Oil Quick Bread, leaving out the rosemary to give it a more neutral flavour, and subbed it in for the Italian loaf listed in the recipe. I took the time to dry it out really well in a warm oven so that it would soak up the broth and the flavours from the other ingredients. And I think some time sitting in the refrigerator will allow the stuffing to meld and intensify even further. The bread held up very well and I can tell from my little taste test that it’s as good as any high-carb stuffing I’ve ever made. I’d even venture a guess that no one would know it was not made with regular bread, unless I told them.

The quick bread itself is a cinch to make, and the extra step is not much trouble at all. So here’s to enjoying all that the Thanksgiving feast has to offer! I wish you and yours the best of the day.

Artichoke, Sausage and Parmesan Stuffing – adapted from Bon Appetit, November 2002

1 loaf Olive Oil Quick Bread (recipe here, omit rosemary)
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tsp fresh time, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Preheat oven to 300F. Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices and lay on a baking sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes, then flip slices and bake 10 minutes more, until quite dry. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes, and if inside of bread is still soft, continue to bake for 5-10 minutes.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up chunks with the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Add onions, celery and garlic and saute until celery is soft, about 10 minutes.

Mix in artichokes and thyme, saute a few minutes longer. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add bread and toss to combine well. Mix in parmesan and 3/4 cup broth.

Butter a 9×13 inch glass baking dish and preheat oven to 350F. Transfer stuffing to baking dish and pour remaining broth over the top. Cover with buttered foil (butter side down) and bake until steaming, 30-40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is golden and slighly crisp, about 20 minutes longer.

I’ve submitted this to the Holiday Recipe Exchange on Goodlife Eats. Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by Swanson Broth.

Comments

1. She's Cookin' says:

Stuffing is my favorite dish at Thanksgiving! I can taste the savory mix of flavors in yours; and low carb, what a bonus with the olive oil bread, yummy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with you family :)

2. ravienomnoms says:

Your stuffing looks amazing!

3. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

I've never celebrated thanksgiving and didn't know what stuffing was until I saw it on all the blogs this year ;).
    This one looks delicious! I love artichokes hearts :).

4. A Little Yumminess says:

Tough to think of stuffing as low carb but you seem to have figured it out :) I like the addition of artichokes

5. Looks fantastic! Great stuffing..

6. That is a great recipe.

7. This sounds wonderful!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! :)

8. Amy Bakes Everything says:

OMG I love stuffing, this looks so goooooodd!!!

9. Chris@thesimpleskillet.com says:

Yumola! Is that a word? I don't know, but I love stuffing too. and I love artichokes and sausage thanks for the post!

10. I love the Italian flavors in this and I'm pretty sure I want this for dinner…oh…tomorrow. Also really love that you made it using olive oil bread! That must make it taste divine.

11. All of these ingredients look amazing together! I'm bummed I didn't see this recipe before I did my Thanksgiving grocery shopping!

12. What lovely looking stuffing, I love all the ingredients in this.

13. Dreamy indeed. This looks really delicious. How many does the recipe serve? Would you make one or two for Thanksgiving with 12+ people? I was thinking about maybe substituting a different cheese…have you ever done that? Thanks for posting!

14. Nicely done! This stuffing has me wanting Thanksgiving dinner now, right now! :)

15. Your stuffing looks so stunning! I'm sure it's flavourful and delicious.

I try stuffing every year and I just can't do it. I'm not going to give up hope. This looks incredible though. Maybe this will be the year stuffing wins!

17. YUM! Looks fab as usual!

18. I love eating artichokes, but can you believe it, I've never cooked one myself? Your stuffing looks fab, and I bet it tasted wonderful too!

19. baking.serendipity says:

I've never thought to add artichokes to stuffing…it sounds like the perfect flavor boost! Wishing you a great Thanksgiving :)

20. Kim - Liv Life says:

An excellent idea!! It's always nice to have things done ahead of time. I'm not really a stuffing fan and actually considered leaving it off the menu, but I was outvoted. I think I just may make mine today! I'm off to check out your bread recipe!

21. blackbookkitchendiaries says:

this is a beautiful dish!! thanks for sharing it.

22. Sam – for 12+ people, I would definitely make two pans! You never know who is going to be a stuffing fiend, and the leftovers are always delicious. I'd say my version makes 8-10 servings.
    And nope, haven't tried it with different cheese. If you do, go with something aged and dry like parm, otherwise it might get gooey and cheesey…unless you want gooey and cheesey!

23. imwaytoobusy says:

Artichoke stuffing!? Perfect!

24. TheFlavorJunkie says:

After seeing this recipe I'm wishing more than ever that tomorrow was my Thanksgiving holiday. Looks fantastic! Well done Caarolyn.

25. You had me at "artichoke"… and at "stuffing"… Stuffing is one of my Thanksgiving favorites but I have NEVER had it with artichokes! Mmmm. Sounds mouthwateringly delicious!

26. Spicie Foodie says:

Wow what a scrumptious stuffing! I love your photos and they are making my mouth water. I hope you have a beautiful holiday, Happy Thanksgiving :)

27. This looks delicious! Being Canadian, we've already celebrated our Thanksgiving, so I'll have to keep in mind for next year's feast!

28. I love your photo and this dish sounds so healthy and tasty. Artichoke is one of my favorite food in the world but I've never know how to cook it. Thank you for sharing this recipe. :D

29. Una deliziosa e invitante ricettina Cara e stupende anche le foto,bravissima!!! ;-)
    Un bacio:-*

30. Kimberly Peterson says:

This stuffing looks AMAZING and I bet it is bursting with great flavors!!

31. Green Girl @ A little bit of everything says:

Is the first time I read about using artichoke in stuffing but sounds pretty yummy.
    Hope you had a wonderful day

32. Yum! This is the best looking stuffing I've seen this season. I love the addition of artichoke-will try for sure:)

33. Lauren Zabaneh says:

this looks amazing! I love stuffing. It really is my favorite side at thanksgiving. I've never had it with sausage, though i know that's very tradtional, so I have to try that. And artichokes? OH, yum!

thank you so much for your sweet comment, Carolyn. My tears are dry and I'm ready for what's next! hugs.

34. BakingWithoutaBox says:

Wow, a step beyond with that quick bread! Stuffing is always my favorite dish at the holiday table. You make it elegant yet so homey comfort food!!

I'm not a bread stuffing fan, but adding the artichoke and sausage may just turn the tide for me. It looks and sounds amazing.

36. LUCKY ME…Finding this in time for Thanksgiving…I am absolutely LOVING the artichoke element to this option of your stuffings!..Do you think I could add sage?…Or would this de-nature the yum-factor of this offering?

Also…as far as nutritional information…how would this compare with your cheddar stuffing in terms of caloric considerations?…I must watch calories as well as carbs I am afraid!..Thank you for sharing your culinary knowledge so generously!

1. [...] Artichoke and Parmesan StuffingPurple Potato and Artichoke Gratinmarinated artichokes Artichoke and feta tarts roasted baby artichokes with a garlic lemon aioli [...]