Chilled Guacamole Soup (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I love the idea of being a locavore, I really do. It all makes so much sense to eat more locally in order to cut down on the transportation of food and the subsequent greenhouse gases. So I do my best to patronize local farmer’s markets in the summer months and keep my eye on what’s grown locally in our various grocery stores. After all, why buy peppers or lettuce from Mexico when I can support local farmers and help the environment in one go? But here’s the problem, at least for me. I live in a part of the world where the growing season is rather short and many of my favourite foods don’t grow at all. So the question becomes, can one be a part-time locavore? A seasonal locavore?

I suppose locavore-ism (locavorality? locavorability?) is not an all-or-nothing proposition. If the ultimate purpose is to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions, then perhaps being conscious of what I buy and where it is grown without giving up some of my non-local favourites is all anyone can really ask of me. What is it, exactly, that I am so unwilling to give up? Well, avocados for one thing. I love them dearly and would eat one every day, if I could. If avocados grew locally, I would plant two or three trees in my yard and eat them morning, noon and night. I love them that much, I really do. I promise you this – if modern science ever finds a way to grow avocados in Massachusetts, I will become a full-time, diehard locavore.

Without question, one of the best ways to eat avocado is in guacamole. Having lived in Arizona for five years, I fancy myself something of a guacamole connoisseur. I’ve had my share of ho-hum guac, but truth be told, even bad guacamole is a far sight better than some things I can imagine. The combination of avocado, garlic and jalapeno is just THAT good, you really can’t mess it up too badly. But some are, inevitably, better than others. My husband makes a mean guacamole with lots of spice and garlic, and we’ve both been known to overindulge when he makes it.

The idea of using the flavours of guacamole in a soup just came to me one day last week and I had to make it as soon as I could. I’ve had avocado soups before, and they were lovely. As the weather heats up, cold soups are a wonderful way to enjoy fresh produce without having to cook. And they really make a wonderful appetizer or side dish with BBQ and other grilled meats. I took a pretty basic guacamole recipe, increased the garlic and the jalapeno, pureed it with some chicken stock and stirred in some cream. After an hour chilling in the fridge, it was ready to eat.

The Results: There really was no way for me to go wrong here. If you like guacamole, you’ll like this soup, it’s as simple as that! We ate ours with some grilled steak and some salad, and it was a wonderful meal. The soup is velvety and creamy, and quite rich so a little goes a long way. You could use your favourite guac recipe, but I will share how I did mine and you can modify as you see fit. Increase or decrease the seasonings and heat as you like, it’s up to you.

Like real guacamole, this soup is best eaten very fresh. More than 24 hours sitting around, and it takes on that brownish appearance of day-old guac. Some soups get better after a day or so for the flavours to marry, but this is not one of them. I’d recommend eating within 24 to 48 hours of making it.

Chilled Guacamole Soup

2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
¼ cup red onion, chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ cup whipping cream
2 tbsp sour cream
6 tbsp cheddar cheese, shredded

In a food processor combine 1 cup of chicken broth with avocados, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro. Puree until smooth. Add remaining 1 ½ cups broth, salt, pepper and cayenne and blend. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in whipping cream. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.

Divide soup among 6 bowls. In the center of each bowl, dollop 1 tsp (5 mL) of sour cream. Sprinkle each with 1 tbsp shredded cheese.

Serves 6 (1/2 cup servings). Each serving has a total of 7g of carbs and 2g of fiber.

Comments

1. Belinda @zomppa says:

This is definitely a good reason to buy local! Beautiful.

2. Weber Recipes says:

What a tasty looking soup! Soon i will try this. Thanks a lot for sharing.

I've never been a lover of cold soup, but one that tastes like guacamole could be an entirely different story!

4. I'm a big believer in non all-or-nothing approaches, so I like your stance on local vs. not. Choosing what matters and skipping the rest (out of season) sounds like a good approach to me! I'm not an avocado fan personally, but for all the people I know who are, this recipe is getting bookmarked :)

5. Kate@Diethood says:

I love it…garlic, cheese, and avocado…it doesn't get better! Um…Where did you get that bowl? :)

6. As an avocado lover ever since I was a child, I must absolutely try this soup! It looks and sounds delicious.
    Regarding being a locavore, I think it's again a question of moderation. If you can have a certain product locally which is just as good — then I think it's the way to go. (At least, the way I try to go.) If you can't — well, then you just can't. It then really becomes a question of other people doing their job to protect the environment through more efficient transportation for instance. I think there are many many ways we could improve the system, if only the system is interested in improving itself :)

7. This soup sounds wonderful! I love guacamole and to make it into a chilled soup is a genius idea for summer =)

Avocados are hands down my favorite food as well. I would love to grow an avocado tree. It's only a dream for now. This soup sounds delicious. I haven't had the best of luck though with chilled soups with chicken broth. Maybe this recipe will turn that luck around.

9. This looks fabulous! I concur with your locavore concerns, living in the northeast as well. I love everything about avocados and love guacamole. Since going low to no carb I have not eaten as much salsa or guacamole as I miss chips (sigh), but making it a soup is a great idea! Thank you!
    Lisa

10. Emily @ A Cambridge Story says:

That is one perfect avocado! I don't usually go for chilled soups but this sounds lovely!

11. Island Vittles says:

What a great idea for a cold soup! I always love your photos too…
    And have faith — if they can grow bananas and coffee in Victoria, BC (albeit in a greenhouse) — avocados in Mass should be doable! Theresa

12. Parsley Sage says:

Avocado is a new food for me. Only been eating it for a few months. Boy have I been eating it! Can wait to try this guacamole soup. Yum!

Locavorality. That's just fun to say :)

I was wondering how the color would stand up over time, so this is good to know. The soup in the photo is beautiful. I'm a huge fan of avocados too s I need to give this a try!

14. Baking Serendipity says:

I love guacamole! Something tells me I will love this soup too :) Chilled soups in the summer are one of my favorites!

15. Butrcreamblondi says:

This is my kind of soup! I LOVE guacamole so I know this must be amazing!

16. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

I love guacamole & making it into a soup is genius! I love that it is an easy recipe that doesn't require heating; perfect for hot summer days when I don't want to use my stovetop ;).

17. sweetlife says:

chilled guacamole soup..does it get any better? lovely for lunch or for a meatless meal!

sweetlife
    have a great weekend!

18. Love this idea– makes total sense that guacamole would translate to a tasty soup. I'm like you and love avocados– I like slices of avocado served on toast with some cream cheese. Perfect simple snack–

19. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

I love guacamole and I love soup so this is a definite winner!

20. This looks so decadent and creamy! And yes… I try to be a locavore… but do not always succeed… I think the most important thing is to be mindful and from this post, it definitely seems that you are being mindful! :D

21. Oh, yeah, I heartily approve! I think this will be my new favorite summer soup :)

22. Katherine Martinelli says:

I love everything about this soup! I agree that sometimes it can be so hard to eat totally local.

23. Cooking Rookie says:

Looks great! Such colorful photo :-). Must be tasty too .. yum

delicious looking spicy soup looks fabulous

25. The Harried Cook says:

What a great idea for a summer soup! I love guacamole and so I think I would really enjoy this… Thanks for sharing! :)

26. Jeanette says:

With the weather getting so hot, cold soups are especially appealing, especially if they require no cooking! This one sounds wonderful – I love guacamole flavors!

27. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

I have never had a cold soup but I've always ben interested. This looks perfect! I love guac in any form!

28. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Yum, what a great soup for a hot summer day, love all the flavors and the color is just beautiful! Great idea!

29. Angie's Recipes says:

This looks simply gorgeous! Love its pleasant springy colour.

30. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Chilled soup is nice in summer! We don't have to give up "soup" in general because we can enjoy chilled one like this. I love guacamole and this is a nice way to eat it rather than our usual ways of cooking/eating it. Thanks for sharing!

31. Congrats on top 9!!! I totally missed this one…Looks awesome!!!

32. Jill Colonna says:

Completely with you, Carolyn, on supporting local. In France, it's very much the done thing, otherwise the farmers just keep going on strike! Love the term, locavore and adore the look of this summery chilled guacamole soup. Fantastic just seen top9, too! J xo

33. The Mistress of Spices says:

This sounds AMAZING! There is nothing like guacamole, and it's just genius to make a cold soup out of it. I'm bookmarking this and making as soon as I get some avocados!

34. Cook With Susan says:

Congratulations on making the top 9. Making guacamole soup was brilliant! I have to give it a try.

35. Magic of Spice says:

It can be very difficult depending on where you live especially to only buy local. I agree that doing what you can and when you can is what is important. And as for this soup…wow! What a fantastic idea, a must try :)

36. purabi naha says:

You have used avocados so well! I loved this recipe and now I am following you. Shall visit here soon.

37. bakerbyNature says:

I've yet to try the whole cold soup phenomenon, but I am a serious guacamole fan; this may be the perfect gateway soup for me!

38. briarrose says:

You definitely couldn't go wrong with this one. :) Excellent way to use avocados.

39. Vanessa says:

I love chilled avocado soup with a spicy crema on top. SO good on a hot summer day!

40. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

Now this is a cold soup I could really get into. Especially as hot as it's been this week!

41. Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

I'm a total avocado fanatic – eat it for breakfast on toast and think guacamole is the #1 Dip :) Chilled avocado soup is another perfect way to indulge in avocados.

42. Ana Helena Campbell says:

I love avocado! Thanks for this great recipe idea for summer. Beautiful photos.

43. claire gallam says:

I absolutely do love guacamole (my husband and I ate it for dinner last night)!

44. chefpandita.com says:

Mmm this looks so creamy, flavorful and refreshing! Its so hot here I am craving this soup now. Gotta get me some avocados and extra cilantro :D

45. Cookin' Canuck says:

When I was in California last month, everyone was talking about their prolific avocado trees and I was absolutely green with envy. Whether from our own backyard or the market, this is a wonderful way to use avocados!

46. Oh, I LOVE Avocados – what a great soup! I agree with your thoughts! I live in Iowa, it is cold here 8 months out of the year! There isn't a whole lot that grows here (aside from corn). So I frequent the farmers markets, but I can't live off of them alone.

47. natalie says:

I was just thinking about making a chilled avocado soup…Great minds think alike! :)

Yours looks amazing; I can't even tell you how much I love guacamole. Totally buzzed!

48. patissierement-votre says:

Such a great idea for a summer soup :)

49. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Just saw your feature over at Women's Health and wanted to congratulate you! Woohooooo

50. Kate@Diethood says:

I don't know if I congratulated you… I have been feeling sick lately :( …. Please forgive me if I'm late! Congratulations on the feature…so proud of you! I would be doing the happy dance for days! :)

51. wow, that looks really, really tasty. I hope I can find avocadoes on sale to give this a try.

52. Eating Deliciously says:

Congrats on the recipe feature in Women's Health Magazine Online. This looks fantastic. Another must try recipe!

53. Matthew Horbund says:

We have an avocado tree in the back, and my mom next door has 5. We all love avocado, though never had it in a soup. we'll try this, for sure! Pair it with maybe a gruner veltliner!

54. O'Brien Home says:

This looks amazing! My entire family LOVES avocado – will definitely try this. Thank you.

55. Mimi from California Avocados Direct says:

Just found your site and shared on our Facebook/Avocados_Direct page! We're a family farm that picks, packs and ships avocado gift boxes and subscriptions.

56. Hey I know I’m pretty late to the party with this post, but I am really curious:
    Do you think this would taste as good with Florida Avocados versus Mexican or Hass Avocados? We only get Florida Avocados where I live, which are more fruity and less creamy. Thoughts?

• Carolyn says:

Hmmm, I’ve had Florida avocados a few times and I think they’d be okay. It might not be quite as avocado-y but it would still have great flavour.

57. Oh my…that looks delightful. Like an avocado gazpacho. I’m definitely making this. Soon!