Nutella Swirl Tea Loaf (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

I’m a big proponent of the idea that if you have a good thing going, you have to use it to your advantage. You have to grab the bull by the horns, and really go after it, and take that good thing to new heights. Don’t let it languish, but do all in your power to make it bigger and better. I sound like I am talking about lofty ideals and ambitions here, don’t I? But really I am just talking about cake. Yes, cake. My Almond-Crusted Butter Cake was so good, and turned out so well, I immediately started thinking how I could use it in other ways. Some people may say it’s too early to reprise the recipe, that I should wait at least a few months. But I happily thumb my nose at such people. Good cake is good cake and deserves as much time in the spotlight as possible. And if I add Nutella to said cake, surely that changes it enough for a second go-round!

I have a lot of recipes on this blog that I love, but I don’t always have the time to make them again. But really, I loved this cake so much, I knew I need to make it again, and soon. Still, being of a rather restless nature and prone to boredom, I knew I also needed to give it a little twist. I’ve seen a number of Nutella swirl cakes and loaves and let’s face it, that delicious combination of hazelnut and chocolate is never really far from my mind. So the idea of swirling some into the batter of my new favourite cake as not difficult to come by. I left off the almonds on the outside, and I used vanilla extract instead of almond for the cake batter. I also sweetened it a bit more than the almond cake, because I thought it would complement the nutella flavouring.

The Results: Okay, so the loaf sank in the middle a bit after cooling, a constant issue with gluten free baked goods. But the reality of it is that you won’t care a flying fig about the sunken middle when you taste this. Seriously, it is that good. It’s definitely on the sweeter side than the almond cake was, and I truly like them both for what they are. This one was a huge hit with the all of kids and my son said it was even better than the loaf cakes at Starbucks. This is high praise from him, believe me.

You may notice that it’s more of a line of nutella, rather than a swirl. I will confess that the thick batter of the cake does make it difficult to swirl in. And so the resulting layer of nutella may be part of the culprit for the sinking middle. Next time, instead of just swirling in nutella straight, I may hold back a bit of the batter to mix in first. Regardless, you can make this cake as is and you won’t be disappointed.

Nutella Swirl Tea Loaf

1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated erythritol
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond milk

For the nutella, grind hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground and beginning to clump together. Add remaining nutella ingredients and continue to process until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides of processor with a rubber spatula as needed. If you find it continues to clump together, add more oil, a little at a time, until a spreadable consistency is achieved.

For the cake, preheat oven to 320F and butter a loaf pan very well. Sprinkle sides and bottom of pan with sliced almonds, pressing into butter to adhere to sides.

In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add granulated erythritol and beat until lighter and well-combined, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at time, scraping down beaters and sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in vanilla and stevia extracts. Beat in half of the almond flour mixture, then beat in almond milk. Beat in remaining almond flour mixture until well combined.

Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan, then dot with half of the nutella mixture. Use a knife to swirl nutella into batter. Top with remaining batter, and again dot with half of the nutella, swirling with a knife. Smooth the top before baking.

Bake 45 to 5o minutes, or until top is deep golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Serves 12. Each serving has a total of 8g of carbs and 3.5 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.5 g.

Comments

1. Can't never go wrong with nutella even if it sank in the middle….it looks marvelous!

2. Oh Nutella will be the death of me… I can't resist it. Love the swirl!

3. Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THE LOAF

4. thelittleloaf says:

This looks absolutely gorgeous – who cares if it sank in the middle? It's got nutella in and I bet a little air getting squashed out just made it even more fudgy and delicious :-)

5. The loaf looks incredible even if it sank. You are right GF baked goods sank sometimes, but it has happened with me if it had almond meal, amaranth or more amount of flax meal. But they always taste great .

6. Bravo on nose thumbing! I'm all for that activity. One of Hubby's few complaints about my going through magazines is how rarely I re-make something that we really enjoyed. So, yes, definitely do a few variations on the original. This looks wonderful!

7. Gorgeous Nutella layer

8. I don't care if it sunk or not…I want a piece! This looks incredible…you can't go wrong with Nutella.

9. I'm passing this low carb treat onto my brother who is pre-diabetic. Thanks!

10. okay, i think I need this stat. scratch. I NEED this stat!!!

11. Your almond crusted butter cake does sound good. And swirled with nutella…it must be INCREDIBLE! Yum!

12. The sinking doesn't matter to me, this still sounds delicious!

13. The loaf looks wonderful. I just noticed that you are going to camp blogaway. I hope to see you :D

14. These Look INCREDIBLE

15. Oh yum! I bet it tastes delicious.

16. food_dreamer says:

Hey, cool! I am looking forward to meeting you!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

17. Nutella in anything is amazing! I love this idea of swirling it into a cake though, I bet it tastes amazing with a cup or coffee in the morning :) Great job, it looks beautiful!

18. Oh that looks like a good recipe to make twice for sure!!

19. Kudos for re-making the bread again. I'm just like that. So what if I made it few days/weeks ago? If I like it I make it again!

20. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Wow, you said the magic words…Nutella. Love that you made a low-carb version of it!

21. Nutella swirl…. mmmmmmmmmmm! This would make my husband a very happy man! He would insist I made it more than just twice!

22. Yes, grab the bull by the horns and post that butter cake again and again :) And no one minds that there is a thick ribbon of nutella rather than a swirl :)

23. It looks so moist and wonderful! Why not take something incredible then take it to new heights! So awesome you're helping so many. Especially with the low carb nutella. I knew you would. Makes me wish I lived closer to my husband's mother who's diabetic. I am sure she'd appreciate this. It's hard for her to cook these days.

24. I think I prefer the aesthetics of the line even more than a swirl…but that 's just me. I passed this recipe on to a FB friend today, and she was so excited, she ran out to get the ingredients at that moment! Irresistible as always, Carolyn! theresa

25. I agree with every line of your first paragraph :) Especially when it delivers this!

26. Too soon for this amazing cake? Not a chance! Looks delicious! I love anything with Nutella.

I have a giveaway going on I think you might be interested in.

27. food_dreamer says:

Thanks for passing the recipe along, Theresa!!!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

28. Cake is important! You should do all you can to use it to your advantage. :) No one minds that it sank in the middle. I'm sure it still tastes delicious. I'm also pretty sure that your Nutella tastes delicious, which is exactly why I'm going to try my hand at it!

29. A healthier Nutella loaf…I'm loving it. I didn't notice the sinking. You can send me a piece please for a little snack?:)love it!

30. You know the old adage 'Everything is better with bacon'? The same holds for nutella in desserts. No way did you reprise this too early..not a chance! It lifts your almond crusted butter cake up another level, why should that wait? :) I thumb my nose at that silly 'rule' too!

31. food_dreamer says:

So glad you are going to try the homemade nutella, you won't regret it!!!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

32. So glad you made this cake again in a new and just as delicious way! This tea loaf looks so yummy…and I didn't even notice any sinkage as I was more focused on its marbled goodness :)

33. You have a point for sure, if you have a good thing going, roll with it! Who cares that your cake sank in the middle, it looks AMAZING! I love the outside of that cake, the crumbly happiness has me drooling for sure! YUM:-) Hugs, Terra

34. "a flying fig ", love it…and you are right, I won't :) These is scrumptious!

35. These were quite yummy though I needed to make the nutella sweeter. I made it into muffins and got 15.

36. food_dreamer says:

Funny, I thought about making it into muffins too. Glad they worked out. I guess I don't like my nutella that sweet.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

37. I agree with your conclusions and looking forward to your coming updates. Thanks for sharing

38. Kathy Jo says:

Once again…DELICIOUS!!! I really enjoyed this, as did my daughter and son (25 and 19), especially with the nutella layer.

39. This looks amazing…I saw on another blog (Elana’s Pantry?)..that the “low” cake/height issues in gf loaf baking can sometimes be rectified by simply using smaller “mini” loaf pans…thoughts?

40. Tao Tao says:

If I don’t want to include the whey protein powder, what should I sub it with? Thanks!

41. I just made this into 3 mini loaves and it is delicious! It tastes like those marble bread slices you can find prepackaged in any store bakery! I did add a little almond milk and a few drops of stevia to the Nutella as well as a large spoon of the batter. They turned out perfectly.

1. [...] I’ve made it as muffins (Almond Raspberry Jam Muffins) and as other flavours of cake (Nutella Swirl Tea Loaf), and I’ve made the original many times over.  It will forever rank as one of my [...]