Deliciously crunchy low carb granola with hazelnuts and chocolate. It’s like having sugar-free keto Nutella in your cereal bowl!
When I made up the name for this blog, I had no idea how fortuitous my pick would turn out to be. I actually had another name altogether in my head, but as I was fairly certain that no one beyond my close family and friends would ever read it, it hardly mattered much what I called the darn thing. So I figured that if this name didn’t stick, I could always change it to my original idea. Little did I know how much this blog would grow and how much this name would resonate with people. Daily, I find myself thankful that I chose the name I did. I am forever getting emails and comments now where people say “I love the name of your blog, because I dream about food all day too!”. I always did dream about food all day as it was, and now that it’s become my profession, I dream about food even more. And I don’t just dream about food all day, I actually dream about it at night sometimes too.
The other night, I had a very vivid dream that I was making granola. So vivid, I could almost smell and taste the granola I was making. And naturally, I woke up hungry for granola. I loved my Peanut Butter Power Granola and it must have stuck in my sub-conscious somehow, my mind making new variations. The dream granola was apple cinnamon, and I may attempt that variation at some point because I recently found some apple flavouring that I want to try out. But I had some hazelnuts in the cupboard that needed using and I’ve long been thinking of a chocolate granola and that’s where it all fell into place. Chocolate Hazelnut Granola…like Nutella in your cereal bowl!
Remember when you were a kid and all the sugary cereals were at perfect kid eye-level at the grocery store? And you so desperately wanted the Count Chocola because you heard it would turn your cereal milk chocolate, but your parents wouldn’t even consider it for a moment? Well now you get to live out that little childhood fantasy with no guilt whatsoever. I like to put a little heavy cream in with this granola and mix it around to make it all chocolatey. It’s like dessert for breakfast. This is the sort of recipe that makes me love being on a low carb diet!
Chocolate Hazelnut Granola – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process hazelnuts and almonds until they resemble coarse crumbs with some larger pieces. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in flax seed meal, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, butter, hazelnut oil and chocolate together until smooth. Stir in Swerve.
- Remove from heat and stir in hazelnut and stevia extracts.
- Pour chocolate mixture over nut mixture and toss to combine, letting some clump together.
- Spread mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until beginning to crisp. Turn off oven and let sit for another 20 minutes or so. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it is not beginning to burn.
Serves 10. Each serving has 9.8 g of carbs and 5.5 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.3 g.