Chewy Ginger Cookies (Gluten-Free Guest Post)

This blog is suffering from neglect.  Poor little bloggity-blog.  Honestly, if there was a Blog Protection Services, my little blog would have been taken away from me and placed into the blog foster care system, I am quite certain of that.  It’s not that I don’t love my blog, I love it very much.  But I am trying to juggle so many balls in the air these days, the poor blog gets a little overlooked at times.  Thankfully, my blog is a patient one and appears to be waiting politely for me to turn my full attention back to it.  I am not sure when that will be, but like any good caretaker, I know when I need a little assistance.  And I am fortunate that in the blogging world, I have a fabulous support network.  So I have called upon a few of my friends to help me nurture this blog for the next little while.  You will be seeing a number of guest posts, at the rate of about one per week.  They are from many talented bloggers, and I have given them free reign to post about what they want, so they won’t necessarily be low carb or gluten free.  But they WILL be good.

Lauren and I have known each other in the blogging world for quite some time.  She writes a delightful blog called Keep It Sweet and she herself is a complete sweetheart, to the title is very fitting.  Although she herself has a lot on her plate, she stepped up instantly when I put out the APB for guest bloggers.  So please welcome Lauren and enjoy her wonderful talents…

Hi everyone!  I was so honored when Carolyn invited me to guest post on her blog.  I’ve been a reader for quite some time and have admired Carolyn’s talent in the kitchen.  She has taken so many delicious and even complex dessert recipes and turned them into low carb and/or gluten-free alternatives.  Given the challenges that can come into play with the ingredients you need to do that, I’m constantly impressed by what she comes up with.

My blog, Keep It Sweet (http://keepitsweetdesserts.com/blog/) is all things dessert.  Usually you will find lots of sugar and lots of carbs, but I do try to incorporate healthier alternatives and recipes that work for someone who has a gluten tolerance as well.  My sister stopped eating gluten a couple of years ago, so any time I want to bake for her, I have to make something gluten-free.  When her birthday came this year, I didn’t want to bore her with the same old flourless desserts so I decided it was time to start experimenting with almond meal.  I’m glad that I did!  These chewy ginger cookies turned out wonderfully and even impressed her regular flour-eating friends.  The best part?  You don’t need to buy any hard-to-pronounce ingredients!  And even better?  Almond meal can be made just from grinding raw almonds in a food processor!  Baking without gluten doesn’t have to be complicated.

Chewy Ginger Cookies {Gluten-Free}
Makes 32 small cookies
1 2/3 cups Almond Meal
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, whisked
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees; line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients except for sugar; add sugar, butter and egg and stir just until combined
Use a small cookie dough scoop or tablespoon scoop cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheets about one inch apart
Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch
Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking racks prior to serving

Comments

1. Choc Chip Uru says:

What a fabulous guestpost – I love the chewy factors and the pictures are amazing :D
    Yum!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

2. KeepItSweet says:

Thanks again for having me, Carolyn!

3. I love good gluten free cookies to have when my good friend comes to visit. I'll make these and see how she likes them.

4. gluten free foodie says:

Aww, Carolyn. You're blog is doing just fine! Really! But we're happy to hear from guest bloggers, too. I love the idea of these ginger cookies! I love ginger snaps and though these are not exactly the same thing, they will be a welcome substitute in my house where we can't eat gluten. Thanks for posting!

5. Erin@TexanerinBaking says:

I am SO making these. I've been baking a lot with almond flour lately and I love ginger! I'm happy about this post because now I've discovered a blog with lots of almond flour recipes. Woohoo! You have a new subscriber. :)

And Lauren, these look super! I love that they're chewy.

6. RavieNomNoms says:

Yay for guest posts and yay for chewy cookies! YES

7. Glad to see Lauren here – as always a delectable treat :)
    The cookies sound to die for, I have a huge weakness for ginger.

8. Glad you're getting the support you need, Carolyn. Isn't it such an amazing community?
    These cookies look amazing, Lauren, and you're right…you've definitely made gluten-free baking look uncomplicated!

9. lafujimama says:

These look AMAZING!!

10. elsellin says:

These cookies look wonderful! Great guest post! Looking forward to seeing your other posters!

11. I love Lauren's blog. So many great treats. These cookies are another one. Great post.

12. happywhennothungry says:

I love ginger cookies and these look so chewy and delicious!

13. stephday says:

These ginger cookies look so yummy! Great guest post, Lauren!

14. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

You said the magic word…..ginger! Love it.

15. Snappy Gourmet says:

Love all the spices in the cookies! They sound delicious!

16. I love it! I made one where I switched out the sugar for Splenda instead. I also added some flax meal to it to make sure it wasn't crumbly without the sugar. I usually put the other 3 spices in, but the idea about ginger is great! I'm going to try it next time.

17. theharriedcook says:

Fabulous cookies! Love that they're chewy :) And the ginger is a lovely addition to cookies… Thanks for sharing this, Lauren! Great guest post :) :)

18. spiffycookie says:

Great guest post Lauren!

19. These sound amazing – I think my son would love one! Carolyn – thinking of you – busy is good, but crazy sometimes. Hang in there!

20. marlameridith says:

Oh my do these cookies look great! Love the guest post :)

21. mmm love this recipe!

22. I made these and they were a huge hit..didn't last a day in my house! Thank you for a fantastic cookie recipe that I feel good about serving my family :)