Raspberry Coconut Scones – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

Yum

Low Carb Raspberry SconesI readily admit that I didn’t pay much attention to coconut oil until a few short years ago. In fact, I do believe that I considered it more likely to be an ingredient in body cream or suntan lotion than something with which I would cook. I really just didn’t know all that much about it, but the same can be said for a great many ingredients that I incorporate into my daily life now. I’ve learned so much about food and nutrition over the past few years and it’s had an enormous impact on the quality of my food and the quality of my life. I now keep many things stocked in my pantry that were virtually unheard of to me, and extra virgin coconut oil is always close at hand.

So I am excited to tell you that I am partnering with Kelapo Coconut for a series of guest posts over the next 6 months. Theirs is without question a quality product.  It’s organic, it’s fair trade certified, and they practice sustainable farming.  And it tastes delicious. I first had the pleasure of trying it as a review product about a year and a half ago, and I was impressed at the time. I made some Coconut Cream Sandwich Cookies that were a hit with my family.

Gluten-Free Scone Recipe

This low carb raspberry scone recipe was already one that was on my mind, so it felt like serendipity when Kelapo Coconut contacted me to be their resident guest blogger.  Coconut oil has a way of making baked goods so tender, I knew it would be amazing in scones.  A few juicy raspberries, some shredded coconut, and a little coconut extract to amp up the flavour (vanilla would be good too!).

Check out the full post and recipe on the Kelapo Coconut Blog: Raspberry Coconut Scones

Serves 12.  Each serving has 8.6 g of carbs and 4.8 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 3.8 g.

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Kelapo Coconut.  All opinions are my own.

Low Carb Coconut Raspberry Scones

Comments

1. says

I made these last night. They were very good, but not scone like. I have been using Honeyville Almond Flour – is this what you use? They tasted more like a raspberry coconut muffin.

2. says

Oh these look delicious! I’m seriously counting the days til February (moving up to 5g carbs per serving!) so I can enjoy something like this!! mmm!

3. Sally P says

Those look delicious! I do miss scones. If you don’t want it to have a coconut taste, would eliminating the shredded coconut work?

4. Deb says

My second GF ‘pastry’ to make and a delicious success! I have been looking for a non-chemical sweetener that is easy on the glycemic index and happened upon coconut crystals. I used half as much as the recipe called for and fresh raspberries. Baked them on parchment lined cast iron pizza pan. Separated them near the end of cooking because too moist in the beginning. Maybe an altitude difference in TX? Had to eat these right out of the oven!! Some crumble factor which you might expect since warm. Oh so good!

5. Jeri Sullivan says

Do you think frozen whole cranberries would work the same as raspberries? I got a great sale on a couple of bags after the holidays but haven’t found any suitable low carb/gluten free recipes.

• Jan says

I didn’t have raspberries so I used dried cranberries that I made using Carolyn’s recipe and they turned out just fine :) I do think that if I make them again I will start by soaking the coconut in some coconut milk or other liquid to make it moister. I used Kroger supermarket brand unsweetened coconut and it is quite dry.

• Jeri Sullivan says

I ended up making these yesterday using the frozen whole cranberries and the scones were excellent. Even my husband who is not a low carb/gluten free eater thought they were good. I used Truvia in place of the listed sweetener because that was all I had on hand. These will definitely solve my “cookie” dilemma and make for yummy snacks!

6. Beth Miranda says

Just made these! Oh my word, sooo good. Perfect scone texture and great flavor. I don’t want to share, so hiding them before the kids get home!

7. Sharon Looper says

These are so good. I used blueberries instead of raspberries, it was all I had. They turned out do good! Thanks for the recipe!

8. Pam says

Thank you, Carolyn, for yet another delicious recipe. I have enjoyed every recipe of yours that I have tried. Thank you!!!!!

• Carolyn says

I’ve never frozen these ones but I have frozen my other scones and it’s just fine. They may be a bit softer after you thaw them but they will still taste wonderful!

• Carolyn says

I don’t know, I haven’t made scones with coconut flour and I honestly don’t think it would work very well.

9. Heidi says

What’s the best way to store these? I tried storing them in plastic wrap and in tupperware, and they almost seem “wet” when I take them out. Thanks!

• Lindsay says

This is a great tip – same thing happened to me! I just made these yesterday and found that this morning, they were a bit “wet” and I personally prefer a crispier scone. Carolyn – love your blog!