Pecan Turtle Brownie Bites – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

Yum

Flourless brownies baked in mini muffin tins and topped with caramel and pecans for a deliciously bite-sized low carb, gluten-free treat.

Low Carb Pecan Caramel Brownie Bites

I don’t know about you but when I was little, Turtles were a highly sought-after candy. They only ever seemed to appear on special occasions, both in my own house and those of other people. I came to think of them as highly coveted and exceptionally rare, so it surprised me when I got a little older to find that they could actually be purchased at any drugstore or corner market. But they only came in large boxes which were beyond the means of my little allowance, so they remained “special occasion” candies until they finally came out with the two-turtle pack. By that time,however, they didn’t seem nearly so special to me and I rarely bought them for myself.

Low Carb Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Brownies

Still, the combo of pecans, caramel and chocolate remains one of my favorites. I don’t know anyone except the most die-hard nut hater who doesn’t love that combination of flavors. And it’s easy to recreate in many forms, like brownies and candies and bars. And ice cream and cake and cookies. Really, it’s divine and we should recreate it in as many forms as possible as frequently as possible. Don’t you agree?

These little brownie bites were a huge hit with our friends at a party. In fact, one of our more reticent male friends was quite volubly declaring his love for them. I was surprised to see him so talkative! I guess chocolate, caramel and pecans can bring that out of anyone.

Please see my Pecan Turtle Brownie Bites on A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine.

Low Carb Turtle Brownies Recipe

Comments

• Carolyn says

A little molasses would work. Maybe a tablespoon? You don’t need either, really, but it helps with color and flavour.

1. Susan says

Can you tell me more about coconut sugar? I bought some a while ago because I’d read it didn’t affect blood sugar, but then I read that was not true, so I have been reluctant to use it. I do not have strict dietary restrictions, but I am not willing to simply substitute one sugar for another if they are essentially the same. Can you provide any clarification.

BTW, I LOVE turtles. They are a terrible weakness for me Thai I genuinely miss since giving up carbs! Thank you!!

2. Rica says

Sorry to be such a pest. Does the caramel sauce harden up? I was wondering how well these travel. A few days ago, I upgraded to a smarter phone. The sales guy was super nice and helpful; albeit a bit overweight. As I left breathlessly, I called back Salty or Sweet? Honestly, it was like we were still on the same level, when he said Sweet. I have to go back and see him again, but I’d really like to share some of these with him, for being so professional and kind with me.

• Carolyn says

The caramel does firm up as they sit. It doesn’t get rock hard but it it will become quite firm after a few hours.

3. Barb says

I have a bottle of Coconut Secret brand, raw coconut nectar, could I use a bit of that in place of the coconut sugar? Thank you for all the wonderful recipes.

4. Shawna says

Do you remember Purdy’s Chocolates? They have ice cream too and my favourite flavour is the chocolate with caramel and pecans. Only a rare treat of course. These brownies look amazing!

5. marsha says

I’m making these 2 days before serving. How would you recommend they be stored? Is it necessary to refrigerate? Thanks. The brownie bites are cooling right now and they taste so good…mmm, the chocolate is amazing. I can’t wait to do the caramel and taste the entire turtle!

6. says

Shout out to you about your great writing. I always enjoy reading your blog. Your recipes are great, too. I had to comment on this post in particular because I have been smiling about this line, “one of our more reticent male friends was quite volubly declaring his love for them,” since I read it three days ago. It seems I mention and link back to you frequently so I’ve added you as one of my favorite bloggers at http://www.ibakeit.wordpress.com Thanks for taking the time to share your talents.

• Carolyn says

Aw, thank you! I appreciate the comments about both the writing and the recipes. That gave me the warm fuzzies.

7. Erin says

Hi these look wonderful. I tried this afternoon using THM Sweetblend and I am ending up with a strong after taste? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all you do!

• Carolyn says

how much Sweet Blend did you use? It typically has much more aftertaste because of the stevia but also if you tried to make the caramel with it, it would be far too strong.