Sugar-free meringues crumbled and layered with whipped cream and blueberries. A delicious mess!
You know those weekends that don’t really feel like a weekend at all? You find yourself working at all the little bits and pieces that didn’t get done during the week. Grocery shopping, laundry, haircuts, calls to family and friends. And if you have kids, you’re often doing all of this while little voices are pestering, wanting your attention, your time. And with school starting up, chances are you had to add schools supplies to your weekend to-do list. You end up starting Monday wondering where your “free time” went. You start the week more harried than you ended it.
Well, that was my weekend this time. Having been away for two weekends in a row, we packed this weekend full of errands and activities, without a lot of breathing room. So I think you will forgive me if I keep this short and sweet, and just focus on the recipe at hand.
Blueberry Eton Mess
Sugar-free meringues crumbled and layered with whipped cream and blueberries. A delicious mess! Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 3 egg whites
- 5 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener or other erythritol
- 1 tbsp raspberry liqueur or vodka (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener or other powdered erythritol
- Preheat oven to 250F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In clean glass or metal bowl, combine egg whites, erythritol, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium high until medium stiff peaks form and mixture becomes somewhat glossy. Do not beat until stiff.
- Spoon or pipe mixture into large meringues. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 250F. Then reduce oven temperature to 200F and continue to bake for another 18 to 20 minutes, until crisp and tips are just starting to brown. Turn off oven and let meringues it inside for 2 hours or longer.
- Remove and carefully peel off parchment.
- In a small bowl, mix blueberries, erythritol and liqueur or vodka. Mash with the back of a fork to release the juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream with powdered erythritol and vanilla until firm peaks form.
- To assemble, break up meringues into large chunks. Sprinkle bottom of 6 dessert bowls with broken meringues, then top with a dollop of whipping cream and a spoonful of blueberry syrup. Repeat another layer of each.
Serves 6. Each serving has 6 g of carbs and 1 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5 g.
Other nutrition information: 237 Calories; 22g Fat (84.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 96mg Sodium.