Don’t you want a big stack of chocolate pancakes for breakfast? Made with coconut flour, they are low carb and gluten-free.
Low carb diets rock! Sure, they’re healthy and all that, and I suppose that’s kind of cool. And they help people with diabetes keep their blood sugars under control, that’s a nice benefit too. Trying to lose weight without going hungry all the time? A low carb diet can help there, which some people like. But low carb diets are super duper awesome mostly because I can eat chocolate for breakfast without the least pang of guilt. That’s what makes low carb diets rock my world. Because as it turns out, chocolate in its natural state is really a low carb, high fiber food. It’s all those sugary, carby additives that make commercial chocolate not so good for you. Find a way around those less-than-healthy bits, and you are golden. Free to eat chocolate day and night, without guilt, without gaining weight and without sending your blood sugars into the stratosphere. The only question is, why haven’t more people figured this out??? Meh, hardly matters. All I care about are these low carb chocolate pancakes. Mine…all mine. Although I did have to share them with my kids, little greedy monkeys.
If you follow me on Facebook, you would have seen me in desperate need of chocolate yesterday morning. My son managed to lock me out of my bedroom minutes before we needed to leave for school, and I was still in my pyjamas. He thought it was one of the doors you could pop open from the outside with a little tool and he wanted to try it. He’s seen me do it a number of times when the bathroom door accidentally gets locked. Except our bedroom door doesn’t work that way and I had to take the handle apart with a screwdriver. That was fun. I was highly annoyed but trying not to be too hard on him. And I really, REALLY didn’t want to drive him to school in my red plaid PJs.
So I came home craving chocolate and I could have happily devoured a big stack of these low carb chocolate pancakes. Alas, we were fresh out because of my chocolate-addicted greedy little monkeys. I settled for a low carb mocha with a ton of whipped cream on top. But it reminded me that I need to make these again soon. They are delicious with butter and a little sugar-free syrup.
Mmmm, chocolate for breakfast. Without guilt. Have I swayed you over to the low carb dark side yet???
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve Sweetener or powdered erythritol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 to 1¼ cup almond milk
- 2 ounces gluten- and sugar-free high % cacao chocolate finely chopped
- Additional butter or coconut oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, cocoa powder, whey protein, powdered Swerve, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in eggs, melted coconut oil, and 1 cup almond milk until well combined. Stir in chopped chocolate. Let batter rest 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brush with butter or coconut oil. Scoop a scant ¼ cup of batter onto skillet and spread into a 3 to 4 inch circle. Repeat until you can't fit any more pancakes into the skillet (you should be able to get 3 or 4 in).
- Cook until bottom is set and bubbles begin to form around edges. Flip carefully and continue to cook until second side is completely set. Remove from pan and keep warm on plate or baking sheet in oven, while repeating with remaining batter.