An easy and delicious low carb carrot cake that bakes in your slow cooker. Top it with some heavenly sugar-free cream cheese frosting for the best low carb dessert.
I seem to have created a monster…out of myself. I think that first low carb slow cooker cake recipe was the gateway drug, the small step over the edge and onto the slippery slope. I am in love with slow cooker baking and my oven is starting to get jealous. It’s suffering from neglect, because every time I consider baking a cake these days, I wonder if I can cook it in my slow cooker. Poor lonely oven, its interior remaining cold and dark and unloved, while the slow cooker enjoys prime real estate on my countertop. The slow cooker and I are becoming very good friends and it makes itself ever so useful for both baking and cooking. As I write this, I have a soup gently heating away on low, ready to warm our tummies at dinner. Now the stovetop is getting jealous too! If I can use my slow cooker to make hearty meals and bake decadent cakes, my other kitchen equipment may fall into disuse. Oh who am I kidding? I am a fickle woman and I will use whatever equipment best suits my purpose. Don’t worry, darling oven. Be patient, I am sure I will come back to you.
It really is kind of fun to see what my slow cooker can do with some cake batter, though. It’s never going to make the fanciest looking cakes – for that, I need my oven to make multiple layers. But for yummy, easy snack cakes, the slow cooker may have the oven beat hands down. I’ve had a number of readers asking for a low carb carrot cake recipe recently and at first I was going to do it in my oven. I considered a big layer cake but then thought I might make it in a 9×13 pan for a snack-style cake. Once I had snack cake in mind, the slow cooker was the the next logical step. Almost an inevitable outcome, you might say.
Carrots are, of course, not all that low carb friendly. So you have to go a little more sparingly than you might in a regular carrot cake recipe. I went with 2 cups of grated carrots, which I simply grated on my box cheese grater. For a cake of this size, that seemed just about right. I didn’t add any raisins, but some shredded coconut and some chopped walnuts gave the cake a delightful texture. It’s a rather dense cake with some crunch, which is my idea of a great carrot cake. And if you have an oval-shaped slow cooker, like mine, it makes a perfect egg-shaped cake, ideal for Easter. Nevermind that we are coming up on Halloween! You know the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Well feeding this cake to my kids was a little like that. One liked the cake but not the frosting. One liked the frosting but not the cake. The middle kid? For her it was “just right” and she had second helpings each time. Ah well, you can’t win them all.
Slow Cooker Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup unflavoured whey protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup Kelapo coconut oil melted (or butter)
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease the ceramic interior of a 6 quart slow cooker and then line with parchment paper with plenty of parchment on the sides for easy removal. Grease parchment paper (I used Kelapo Coconut Oil spray)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Stir in the shredded carrots, eggs, coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Spread batter in prepared slow cooker and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Let cool completely, then grasp the edges of the parchment and gently lift cake out and transfer to a serving platter.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sweetener until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract and cream until well combined and smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
Saturated fatty acids: 16.33g
Total fat: 30.62g
Calories from fat: 275
Total dietary fiber: 4.14g