This Easy Pizza Chicken is like your favorite pizza without all the carbs. It’s a keto dinner recipe made in one pan for easy clean up, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights. A low carb chicken recipe that is totally kid approved!
And this pizza chicken only takes 35 minutes, start to finish. You can’t beat that.
Riddle me this, friends:
Why do chicken thighs always come in packs of 5? Isn’t that a strange number, relative to how other things come? Chicken breasts tend to come in fours, chicken legs in twos. But a package of chicken thighs always seem to contain five. Which, being a family of 5, is very convenient for me.
And absolutely perfect for making One Pan Pizza Chicken.
I love chicken thighs for so many reasons. They are juicier, more flavorful, and less expensive than chicken breasts. And they are perfectly portioned for a keto meal. They also cook quickly, so you can get dinner on the table in less time and less effort. So I usually have several packages of chicken thighs somewhere in my fridge or freezer for easy weeknight meals just like this one.
And I am all about less effort for dinner these days! There is nothing worse than working your hiney off to make a fabulous meal and then have your kids roll their eyes and tell you they don’t like it.
I promise you that won’t happen with this skillet pizza chicken. This was a hit from the moment I whipped it up for my kids and it went into regular dinner rotation almost immediately. If your kiddos cheer when you tell them what’s for dinner, you know you’ve got a good thing going.
How to make Keto Pizza Chicken
It’s really ridiculously simple. At first, I was browning the thighs in a pan and then transferring them to a baking dish. Silly me, it was clearly an extra step that I did not need. And so was born the One Pan Pizza Chicken recipe.
Be sure to choose an ovenproof pan of a good size, because this recipe finishes in the oven. I usually make a big batch with 10 chicken thighs, but you can easily scale this up and down easily to suit your family.
Preheat your oven and then heat oil in the pan and brown the thighs on both sides. Then simply pour your tomato sauce over and top with cheese and pepperoni. Pop it into the oven for 25 minutes and there you go. Pizza chicken is done!
Prefer a less saucy chicken recipe? Check out this Dry Rub Chicken from Lemons for Lulu!
More ideas for Easy Pizza Chicken
- Don’t feel you need to be limited to just cheese and pepperoni. Any of your favorite pizza toppings would be delicious. Sautéed mushrooms, olives, green peppers, basil, artichokes, spinach to name a few!
- Feel free to add some garlic or onion into the pan for a little extra flavor.
- Wondering what pizza sauce is low carb? Rao’s marinara is a popular store bought one. But when I need pizza sauce, I simply whisk some tomato paste and water, and then add in garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Works like a charm.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or with a nice garden salad for a well rounded low carb meal.
That’s really it. You can’t beat the convenience and flavor of this keto pizza chicken recipe. Hope your family loves it as much as mine does!
Looking for more low carb easy chicken skillet dinners?
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce (make sure it has no added sugar)
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni (I like this one from Applegate)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350F.
Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat (if it's a cast-iron skillet, be generous with your oil to avoid sticking). Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper and to pan. Cook until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Pour pizza sauce over chicken thighs, spreading to coat. Arrange pepperoni over chicken and sprinkle with mozzarella.
Bake 25 minutes, then turn on broiler for a minute or two until cheese is bubbly and browned in spots.