Smoky Chipotle Cheese Crisps (Low Carb)

So the good news is that my computer is going to be okay. It’s a good thing too, because after 24 hours apart, I miss it desperately. I knew I was attached to the darn thing, but I didn’t quite realize HOW attached. It usually sits on my kitchen counter, and besides hitting the start button on my coffee maker, turning on my computer is the first thing I do every morning. It’s my lifeline to the world. It keeps me in touch with old friends and it helps me make new ones. It provides both my livelihood and my entertainment. Although my husband has almost the identical computer, it’s not mine and it isn’t set up the way I like it. I can’t wait to have my computer back in my hands, which should be sometime today. I think I might actually hug it.

I did manage to find some time in between worrying about my beloved piece of machinery to whip up these delicious crisps. I was itching to make these the minute I saw them in Martha Stewart’s Fresh Flavor Fast. My mother had made something similar once when I went to visit, little crispy, cheesy cracker bites that were so good, I was hard pressed not to eat them all in one sitting. And the memory of them has stayed with me. I don’t know why I never asked my mum for her recipe, but I was thrilled to find one in the cookbook my parents-in-law gave me for my birthday.

I considered trying to make them entirely with almond flour so that they would be gluten free. But I wasn’t sure how well they would hold together if I didn’t use something that contained gluten. I decided that for my first try, I would use a combination of carbalose and almond flour. I also decided to swap out the cayenne for chipotle. I have a bit of a chipotle obsession. Beyond being hot, it has a deep smokiness that I can’t seem to get enough of. I thought it would be perfect for these crisps.

The Results: Hello, awesome cheesiness! Although mine didn’t turn out looking quite as perfect as Martha’s, I suspect no one’s ever does. No one is ever as perfect as Martha, are they? Mine melted and ran a bit more than hers, but it hardly matters, they taste so great. I was right about the chipotle, it adds a dimension of smoky flavour that goes so well with toasted cheese. My kids love them and they were quite easy to make – the only hard part is waiting for them to cool down enough to eat them.

These would be a great appetizer or party snack. You can throw the dough together earlier and then slice them up and bake them before guests arrive. Whether you make them low carb or regular carb, you must make these. I will be making them again for certain, and next time I may try going all almond flour to make a gluten free version.

Note: If you want to make the regular version, use 1 cup all-purpose flour in place of the carbalose and almond flours. Also set the oven temp to 400F and bake for 16-18 minutes.

Smoky Chipotle Cheese Crispsadapted from Fresh Flavor Fast

2/3 cups carbalose flour
1/4 almond flour
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick butter, room temperature and cut into 1/4 inch pieces

In a large bowl, whisk together the carbalose flour, almond flour, chipotle powder and salt. Stir in the cheese and butter and work the mixture with your fingers, rubbing in the butter, until a dough forms and holds together.

Turn out the dough onto a large sheet of waxed paper and form into a log, 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll log back and forth to make it round. Roll up tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 375F and line two baking sheets with parchment. Slice log into 1/4 inch slices and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden. If you put both baking sheets in at once, be sure to rotate their positions halfway through baking.

Let cool on pan 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 45 crisps. Each crisp has 1g of carbs and 0.5g of fiber.

Comments

1. Oh Chipotle is one of my favourite ingredient… I can't wait to try this :)

2. Belinda @zomppa says:

What a huge relief – glad your computer is OK! I'm pretty sure I'd get addicted to this…fast.

3. Emily @ Life On Food says:

These look really really good. I am thinking it would be great to serve with a black bean salsa. Perfect party appetizers!

4. These look incredible! I'm might have to whip up a batch for our tennis match on Sunday. :)

I'm glad your computer will be ok! These cheese crisps sound addicting!

6. This is great for after school snack..I think my kids will love this one for sure!!!Thanks for sharing!

7. Parsley Sage says:

Sorry about your computer troubles…I fear I would be in the same boat if I had to send my 'puter to the doctor! Great way to distract yourself tho! These crisps look incredible. I make a version with parmesan but only because I hadn't thought about using cheddar! Thanks for sharing :)

I need to try making these. The flavor combo sounds amazing. Yummy!

9. I make crackers all the time using cheese and almond meal. I have the recipe on my blog. They are so good and hold together just fine. I have yet to try them with almond flour though. I might just have to whip up a batch for the fundraiser I am attending tonight!

10. RavieNomNoms says:

Those look so tasty! I am a crunchy snacker so I know I would just love these…

11. cajunlicious says:

I love to use chipotle, thank you for posting this!

12. Brandie says:

Nothing ever turns out as good as Martha's…lol. I think they look pretty darn perfect though. Anything with cheese has my vote!

13. Angie's Recipes says:

I would probably finish all of them! They look so great!

14. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Mmm! I love munchies!! ♥

15. Claudie says:

I very much like the color of those and how crisp they look!

16. Glad your computer's OK! Mine died recently and it was a paaainful process. These crisps look like a delicious way to take some of the electronics-induced stress off…

17. Island Vittles says:

Those look crazy good — eat the whole batch in an hour good. I'm totally with you on the chipotle.

Glad to know your sidekick is back in good working order! Theresa

18. Jennifurla says:

Those look fabulous, have a super nice weekend.

19. MikeVFMK says:

Yes, please. I am so hungry right now I could eat a dozen of those. Looks amazing and love the chipotle/cheese combination!

20. briarrose says:

It's the chipotle that really did it for me…wonderful recipe.

21. A little bit of everything says:

i see an addiction to these cheese crackers in my future.

glad to hear your laptop is coming hope safe sometime today, my old one said goodbye last month. I miss it so much.

22. Oh dear, I could eat approximately 74 of those right now!

23. Magic of Spice says:

Glad your computer is going to be OK :) These crisps look and sound like such a great snack, love them :)

I need to make snacks for tomorrow night and these just made it on the list.

Just so you know, I'd die without my computer. It's got EVERYTHING on it.

25. Shannon says:

I need to bring something to a wine, cheese and meat gathering tomorrow night and I'm seriously considering making these… they look amazing!

26. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Congrats on top 9 for London Broil! And I love today's cheese crisps! It's win-win situation with the kids and adults' snack. Thanks for sharing. I love how you took pictures in orange, white, and green background. So cute!

27. Beloved Green says:

The chipotle sounds so good. These look like such a good snack!

28. Marsha @ The Harried Cook says:

Love your blog! I 'found' you on spcookiequeen's blog and I am so glad I did! You are doing an awesome job and I am now following you…

I look forward to reading your posts! :)

29. Love cheese, and chipotle, this is a perfect little treat! Would be fun as a appetizer with a protein maybe, YUM!
    Glad your computer feels better, I understand how you feel. I am the same way with my wonderful smart phone, it is my precious, LOL!
    Take care,
    Terra

crispy snacks look delicious

31. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

Oh my word do these look incredible! I would love to eat them all for you. :)

32. These crisps look yummy and sound easy to make, with just a few ingredients! Have to try these.
    Thanks for sharing! I love my computer, too, but I need a laptop!

33. Those sound so good! Love the addition of the chipotle!

34. Are there any left?!?!

35. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says:

Toasty cheese…my favorite!

36. I'm always astonished (though I shouldn't be anymore) how your low carb treats come out better than my conventional ones! These look fabulous…and the flavor must be outstanding. Great job as always…

37. I am always astonished (though I shouldn't be anymore), that your low carb versions turn out better than my conventional ones. These look fabulous and I bet the flavor is incredible! Nice job as always!

38. Cookin' Canuck says:

Fantastic! I would be happy to eat these straight or crumble them over a salad.

39. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

These look fabulous!

40. Ive really been into snacks lately and these cheese crisps look amazing. Not to mention you throw the words chipotle and smokey in there and I am all over it!

41. chefandsteward.com says:

These look great! Cannot find carbalose flower. Can I sub with other low carb flours?

42. chefandsteward.com says:

43. These cheddar crisps look fabulous!

44. Anonymous says:

I wish you had a "print" button on these recipes. It would make life so much easier for me. This recipe sounds so wonderful that I really do need to make it! Thanks kiddo!

45. These cracker look delicious! For some protein (and other nutrients), how about a chunk of California avocado on top?

46. sara @ CaffeIna says:

Forget about store-bought chips or crackers. I need to make these cheese crisps! Forget Martha…they look wonderful. I am sure the taste was just perfect

47. Squash Blossom Babies says:

These look great!

48. What a great snack! I would love this with a nice green salad too!

49. I don't know if there's anything better than cheesy, crispy crackers, except maybe those with chipotle in them! I can imagine how wonderful these taste…my mouth is watering for cheesy goodness now, and it's still breakfast time!

50. Never fun to be without your computer!! Its scary how attached we become to our technology :)

These cheese crisps seriously look awesome. And the fact that there is chipotle in the mix! These would be great to bring to a get together to snack on!

51. Fresh and Foodie says:

These look so good. Perfect to satisfy the salty cravings I get nearly every afternoon. Nice job! Glad your computer's OK, too. :)

52. The Texas Peach says:

These look so tasty! I have a bit of a chipotle obsession myself, so I know I would enjoy these!