Thai Chicken Pizza

Well. That was interesting. If you are part of the wider blogging world, you are probably aware that Blogger, Google’s online self-publishing platform, crapped out for the better part of 24 hours. Those of us who use it to publish our blogs were in a bit of a tizzy, wondering how and when it would come back up. Twitter was aflame with foodbloggers, and many other sorts of bloggers, I am sure, lamenting lost posts and inaccessible dashboards. I wasn’t exactly leading the charge, but I wasn’t taking the enforced blogging break lying down either. I might have lobbed a few complaints in Blogger’s direction. Quite honestly, I was surprised by how much it bothered me. I’ve been able to deny my blogging addiction up until now, telling myself I could quit any time I wanted, I didn’t NEED to blog. But an out-of-commission blog made me face up to reality. Hi. My name is Carolyn and I am a blogaholic.

It’s true, I really do love blogging. I love sharing my recipes and telling you little anecdotes about my life and how I came to create a certain dish. Not being able to bring you a recipe when I wanted made me a little twitchy, to say the least. Normally on a Saturday, I would post The Weekend Voyeur, sharing links from other foodbloggers, but this week I am going to skip it. Once Blogger was up and running again yesterday, I didn’t have the time or the energy to post my Thai Chicken Pizza, so posting that now is priority number one.

Let me tell you a little how this recipe came to be. Last week my local YMCA was giving out some free samples and, being the cheapskate that I am, I grabbed some without even really knowing what they were. When I took a closer look, I saw that I had a package of flatbread wraps in my hand, a brand called Flat Out, that just so happened to be relatively low carb (6 g net carbs per serving). The front of the package called out that they were good for making quick and easy pizza, so I instantly started scheming as to how I might use them for a quick week night meal.

By the time I got home, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I remembered a lovely Thai Chicken Pizza that my sister-in-law had made several years ago. A quick Google search brought several recipes that sounded like a similar sort of thing, and I decided to use this one from Eating Well as my guide. With some modifications, naturally. I thought their sauce looked a little wimpy so I adapted my own favourite spicy peanut sauce instead. I also used thigh meat instead of breasts, as I find it richer and more flavourful. I had no scallions, so I subbed in red onion, and I sautéed the pepper and onion before adding them to the pizza. And of course, the crust was made from my free-sample low carb wraps.

The Results: There was a reason I was so annoyed with Blogger’s issues, and it’s that I couldn’t wait to share this recipe! If you like Thai food and you like pizza, you will love the marriage of the two. The peanut sauce has a lovely kick, so I am glad I went with my instincts and used my own sauce. The wraps held up admirably as the crust and crisped up very nicely on our hot pizza stone. (Interestingly, it did not perform as well on the plain cheese pizza I made for the kids. The tomato sauce seemed to keep it from crisping up as much).

In my former life, before diabetes, my problem with pizza was always that the crust filled me up too much and I hardly had room for more than a single slice. But a flatbread pizza like this is so much more about the toppings and the flavours, and the crust itself takes a back seat. I really enjoyed being able to indulge in pizza that had so much flavor and not as much crust or carbs.

But you could easily make this with any sort of pizza crust. If you are working with uncooked dough, you will want to bake it for 8 to 10 minutes before adding the toppings.

Thai Chicken Pizza - adapted from Eating Well

1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 cup shredded mozarella

4 8-inch low carb tortillas or wraps
OR
1 lb pizza dough**

In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, water, vinegar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and pepper flakes until well combined. Set aside.

In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate or bowl. Add pepper and onion to hot skillet and saute until just tender, about 4 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Spread each wrap with 1/4 of the peanut sauce. Top with chicken, red pepper and onion. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake on a pizza stone or cookie sheet on middle rack of oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 8 minutes.

**If you are making this with regular pizza dough, be sure to bake the crust first for 8 to 10 minute before adding the toppings and returning it to the oven.

Serves 6 to 8. For 8 servings, each serving has 6.45g net carbs.

Comments

So glad blogger is back because I want to make this!! It really is so easy to get addicted to blogging!

2. Angie's Recipes says:

Hallo Carolyn ;-))

I love blogging, but I love your Thai chicken pizza even more!

3. This recipe was worth the wait, Carolyn! It looks fabulous! Have a great weekend from a fellow blogaholic :)

4. Belinda @zomppa says:

I'm so glad it's back up and running! And what a treat you've brought us…yum……

5. Sommer J says:

Love the ingredients! Very thai and very interesting! Will have to give this a try!

Nothing wrong with being addicted to blogging, you're so great at it. Have a great weekend :)

6. Susie Bee on Maui (Eat Little, Eat Big) says:

It was a trying 24 hours, no? I lost one post but it was still showing on my dashboard so I reposted (annoying though, because now stuff is out of order! Yes, I'm a blogoholic and somewhat obsessive.)

Love Flat Outs for wraps and they make a good quesadilla too. The Thai pizza sounds really good-how you not love something with peanut sauce?

7. Food Glorious Food! says:

YOur pizzas are picture perfect! I am sure they are superlicious!

8. Parsley Sage says:

I'm happy things are (almost) back to normal! Great seeing this little beauty in my updates when I got up this morning :) Great recipe and WOO HOO to free samples!

9. Jill Colonna says:

Blogoholic? First time I've seen this, and have to say that it's totally understandable how it can happen. Great to see it back up, so we can see that amazing recipe. Chicken pizza? Yummy. Chicken THAI pizza: you're on a winner!

10. Tiffany says:

Blog-o-holic! :D I am a comment-o-holic and was irked that I couldn't leave comments on my favorite blogs!!!

11. ahhhh! trying this tonight. so excited. Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
    Harley

12. ahhh wow..this looks fantastic Carolyn! What a awesome combination of flavors..thanks for sharing!

lovely flavours of this pizza new to me haven't made with peanut butter

14. briarrose says:

Ehehehe….good to know I wasn't the only one pining for my blog. ;)

Beautiful pizza…I love the flavors here.

15. Kate@Diethood says:

"blogoholic, cheapskate" – I love getting to know my blogging friends!! :) And knowing how similar we all are! Sooo glad to see all you Blogger people back up and running.

I do love Thai food, and who doesn't love pizza?! This sounds absolutely delicious!

16. Chad @ thebreakupnote says:

I love this – I made pizza today to in my grill (blogged about it even… not published yet).

I LOVE Thai flavors and the simpliciy of this is SO appealing.

17. scratch-made wife says:

I'm a HUGE Flat Out wrap fan. I love 'em and get really frustrated when I can't find them in the grocery store. This pizza looks delicious. If only I'd defrosted chicken I could have made this tonight. We're having pizza, but it looks like we'll be having a vegetarian variety. I'll save this for next time!

18. This looks wonderful, I like the sauce you made! I have tried the Flat Out wraps before, they work great in place of tortillas – big fan!

19. I was surprised how irritated I was by the downtime too…although in my case I had just been proclaiming how I liked various Google features, so I was feeling a little cheated!

Your pizza looks amazing :) The idea of using peanut butter on a pizza has never crossed my mind, but I am now seeing the benefits…

20. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says:

Not being able to post or read drove me insane!!! This pizza sounds delicious, I am def. going to make it for my boyfriend!!!

21. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I love Thaifood, therefore I must love this pizza. I never thought about making pizza with tortilla! I usually can't finish one bag when we do Mexican food at home, but now I will use it for pizza too. Such a clever idea. Thanks for sharing!

22. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

I wondered what was going on with Blogger too and I have heard that some people lost their posts and/or comments. I'm glad to see you back, especially with such a delicious-looking pizza. I love Thai flavors in both pizza and pasta. I am a big fan of the Flat Out flatbreads as my girls like to make a wrap for lunch as it doesn't get as soggy as a sandwich, and Costco sells a big package of them. I'll have to try them to make pizza soon.

23. Shirley @ Kokken69 says:

It is interesting to see how a 24 hour break down can actually gets onto people's nerves… and it is not as if we depend on blogging for a living! LOL… We've all become rather impatient and victims of addiction. Great flavour for the pizza!

24. Foodiva says:

I really like your adaptation of spicy peanut sauce using peanut butter. And this flat bread pizza looks gorgeous and must've tasted even more so!

25. Melanie says:

I've always wondered about making pizza like this…but I never knew how to put the "Thai" into a "Thai chicken pizza"! Thanks for the ideas!

26. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

That was so frustrating to lose blogger but you are back and thankfully, so we can share your delicious pizza.

27. The Harried Cook says:

A Thai pizza sounds delicious! Especially with that Tortilla base… sounds light and tasty! That whole Blogger fiasco was highly frustrating, but I am so glad it's back to normal and we're able to post again :) Thanks for sharing! :)

28. Claudie says:

Oh my. I love that flat bread! I used to buy it while in NY, but now I can't find it in San Francisco… though, you are right, I could do the dough myself, but, of course, on some days that's just not possible… I guess I'll have to try to find them again. In any case, I'll be trying out your recipe for sure :)

29. Lindsey @ Gingebread Bagel says:

Oh my does this pizza look soooo good. Love the peanut sauce on the pizza.

30. LaPhemmePhoodie says:

I'm a blogaholic too. So many of us out there. Thrilled that you are now able to sure this fabulous recipe with us. Pizza is always a hit in my house. This recipe is a fun spin on pizza.

31. Food Glorious Food! says:

Hi dear, Please do drop by my blog as I have awards awaiting you :)

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!

32. Carolyn,
    This Flat Out pizza looks so good, especially with your Thai inspired ingredients. I'll have to look for them on my next shopping trip.

33. Love thai food & pizza – so I guess this would be great for me too!

34. Kim - Liv Life says:

Ahhhh! One of my favorite pizzas! I've been making them on the grill and my husband always smiles when it's ready

As for the blogger issues, I was blissfully unaware! I've been out of touch with the blogosphere for about a week and dint know it was down until I read about it! As for the addiction, I know what you mean, I really missed blogging and the people. Glad to be back in touch!!

35. This will go to my friday night dinner for sure! We love pizza and yummmm…with Thai chicken :)

36. agrigirl says:

I use wordpress but have to subscribe to your notion of being wrapped with blogging. I love this pizza! I have also put carrots and coconut on it with green onions.

37. the blogger issue was absurd… i was so annoyed! i kept checking over and over hoping all of my posts werent lost!

on a happier note, this pizza looks amazing. It includes all of my favorite toppings but with a twist! thanks for sharing carolyn!

38. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

First off… YAY I'm glad the blogger site/commenting are up and running again! This looks like the perfect family meal and fun for the kiddos to help with!

39. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

This looks like a great pizza! :)

40. Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

Thai and pizza – always a winning combination in my book! And I'm with you on the crust, so I'll give flatbread a try. Glad that Blogger resolved their issues – there were many blogs I couldn't comment on as I was trying to catch up on my reading!

41. Mary @Delightful Bitefuls says:

Mmm! I love chicken pizzas! This looks so great!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

42. kitchenarian says:

I love pizza and love trying lots of different variations. The flatbread is a great idea to throw together a very quick pizza diner and I love thai chicken. I think this just might be dinner one night this week. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

43. LOOks yummmm……. truly thai pizza love thai food and ur pizza too. u done beautifully!

44. Magic of Spice says:

The blogger thing was pretty freaky, so glad it was resolved within a couple of days.
    I adore flatbread pizza, my favorite really…this one looks fantastic :)

45. Thai Chicken Pizza is one of my favorites, ever since I worked at California Pizza Kitchen in high school!

46. Emily @ A Cambridge Story says:

My husband would love this! I'm trying to get more creative with pizza – and this fantastic inspiration!

47. Kristen says:

Oh man! That pizza sounds incredible!

48. Mrsblocko says:

I made this and wrote about it here. It was the perfect use for the excess of pizza dough I had in my fridge. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

49. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

looks like a great pizza

50. Diane {Created by Diane} says:

love it, the peanut butter sounds delicious. I can just about smell the yumminess from here!

51. I love Thai flavors – what a creative pizza!