Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I’m convinced that Nutella should come with a warning label, something along the lines of “Can become addictive if consumed too frequently”. Really, this unassuming chocolate-hazelnut spread is naughty, naughty stuff. I have seen many a food blogger come under its thrall and be so utterly obsessed with it that they can’t seem to make a recipe without it. They have that crazed, Nutella-glazed look in their eye, and they cannot help themselves as they reach for the jar and add it to every bowl of cookie dough or brownie batter. They get wild with despair should you even mildly hint that they make or eat something other than Nutella. It really ought to be a controlled substance, doled out only in small doses to those bloggers who have shown they can handle it.

Obviously I jest, but Nutella really does play a prominent role in the foodblogging world. There is rarely a day that goes by where I don’t come across at least one or two recipes featuring it. For my part, I have always loved the combination of hazelnuts and chocolate, but I was never really that much of a Nutella fan. I didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t go out of my way to consume it either. Until I was pregnant with my first child, when my one and only food craving was for Nutella. I proceeded to buy a jar, eat about a third of it to satisfy my craving, and then let it sit on my pantry shelf for close to a year. Strange, but true.

I started making my own version of the nut spread after realizing I had diabetes. I don’t make it all that often, but every few months my mind wanders to the idea of it, and I have to make some. Often it is for inclusion in a recipe, such as this one or my Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch Cake. Sometimes, it’s just to have something other than peanut butter to spoon out of the jar and straight into my mouth. Whatever the reason, when I find I have homemade nutella on the brain, I have to get cracking and toast up some hazelnuts to satisfy the urge.

I’ve been thinking of swirling it into low carb ice cream for a while now. I’ve also been thinking of baking it into cheesecake. So when I saw a recipe for Cheesecake Ice Cream on Diethood, the leap to Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream came pretty easily. I set about making my nutella – I made extra, so I could still spoon it into my mouth straight out of the jar. Then I made my cheesecake ice cream base, following Kate’s recipe but with my alternative sweeteners. I also found at the last minute that I had no sour cream, so I subbed in greek yogurt. Once the ice cream was churned, I swirled in about a half cup of nutella, put it in the freezer and waited for it to firm up.

The Results
Cheesecake ice cream really is a wonderful treat. It has a wonderful creaminess and really does taste like a frozen version of cheesecake. And adding in nutella? Well, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think that was rather inspired! (Toot toot). Lovely swirls of chocolate hazelnut goodness are welcome in almost any dessert, but it’s a great complement to the tangy cheesecake flavour.

Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream

Nutella:

1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and husked

2 tbsp vegetable or nut oil

2 tbsp cocoa powder

1 tbsp erythritol, preferably powdered

1/4 tsp vanilla

Ice Cream:

8 oz cream cheese

6 oz greek yogurt

1/2 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup powdered erythritol

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

pinch salt

For the nutella, grind hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground and beginning to clump together. Add remaining nutella ingredients and continue to process until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides of processor with a rubber spatula as needed. If you find it continues to clump together, add more oil, a little at a time, until a spreadable consistency is achieved.

I made a double batch of the nutella, to have some just to eat on it’s own!

For the ice cream, cut the cream cheese into pieces and place in a food processor (yes, you are going to have to wash it out from the nutella!). Add yogurt, whipping cream and erythritol and process until smooth. Add in vanilla, stevia and salt and process until combined.

Refrigerate ice cream mixture until well chilled, about 2 hours. Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Once churned, transfer to an air-tight container and swirl in nutella. Place plastic wrap flush to the surface of the ice cream and freeze until firm but not rock hard, about 1 hour.

Serves 6. Each serving has 6.6g of carbs and 1.5g of fiber.

Comments

1. In and Around Town says

I am one of those Nutella obsessed people – I just cannot get enough! This ice cream looks delicious!

2. RavieNomNoms says

You are so right, Nutella is so addicting it is kinda crazy. Your ice cream looks even MORE addicting. I wouldn't be able to stop eating that…

3. Angie's Recipes says

I am in need of some ice cream as it's so unusually warm over here today.
    Nutella ice sounds perfect!

4. Steph says

i agree about the nutella warning! I just consumed three spoonfuls last night and have the have the jar removed from my hands. Which is why I am obviuosly drooling over this ice cream!

5. Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist says

Honestly, WOW Carolyn. WOW. I have not gotten into the whole nutella craze because of how addicting it is, haha!

6. Beloved Green says

That is awesome, I had a strawberry cheesecake ice cream in a similar fashion, but I like the idea of mixing in the nutella.

7. Krista says

These pictures make me want to run home and make some Nutella Swirl Cheesecake! Yum and guilt free (Primal/Paleo friendly desserts are a win)! Thanks for sharing! *following*

8. Emily @ Life on Food says

oh man, can I have some please? now. nutella really does need a label. I have to hid it after I take a bit otherwise I just cannot stop.

9. scratch-made wife says

Wow. I think I just gained 8 lbs looking at that ice cream. I. Want. It.

I absolutely love Nutella but refuse to buy it because I'm afraid of how quickly it would be eaten!

10. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says

Great post, Carolyn. I like Nutella but I don't love it like most people do. I do, however, love it when it's added to desserts. I haven't yet added it to ice cream but this sounds delicious, great idea!

11. Lauren at Keep It Sweet says

I don't love nutella as much as some food bloggers, but this ice cream looks pretty incredible!

12. Lisa~~ says

Nutella is huge in our home as my daughter could eat it every.single.day. I love that you have a SF recipe to make it, I need to do it and in the ice cream it looks amazing.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

13. Kari says

I always find it slightly amusing that nutella is loved the world over. Australia, the US, the UK, France…it reaches every supermarket! With that said, I'm not a huge fan myself, perhaps because it wasn't something we had growing up. In small doses, sometimes – or in recipes like this :)

14. Charlie says

This ice cream sounds amazing! It is the first time I see greek yogurt in an ice cream recipe, love the idea!

15. Foodness Gracious says

Good read! Your right, Nutella is everywhere. I need to think of something totally outrageous to mix it with and join the bandwagon.
    Thanks for sharing as always, I also checked out your sisters blog and couldn't stop laughing about that latest post. Been there done that with the same male response. Although yesterday i painted my daughters nails and tonight I blow dried her hair…feeling very proud right now :)

16. Daksha says

I like swiss ice creams and ur one is home made+ eggless+ easy + delicious, must must try soon.book mark this recipe.

17. Pretend Chef says

I still have not given Nutella a try since my dislike of it when I was 6 years old. This is a bandwagon I want to be on though. I think my tastes are a bit mature now and I would love it. If I get my hands on a jar of nutella this recipe has it's name all over it.

18. Parsley Sage says

TOOOOOOT!

Brilliant! Obviously more work than I'd probably be able to handle but my girlfriend Prathna can rock this like a hurricane! Guess who'll be inviting herself for ice cream (after emailing the recipe of course!)

Buzzed!

19. Cookin' Canuck says

I would definitely have a Nutella-glazed look in my eye, too, if I had some of this ice cream. What a fantastic idea!

20. kita says

I havent become and addict…. yet.
    However, I have loved your play on ice cream this summer. All of your desserts have been beautiful and mouth watering – this one included. :D I may now be addicted to nutella, but Im sure I couldn't have just one spoon full of this.

21. MikeVFMK says

Carolyn, this is some kind of ice cream. Look at that list of ingredients. But nutella alone would have me begging for seconds. Looks so good!

22. Sandra says

Nutella, cheesecake , ice-cream..wowww..I need something sweet right now! Girl you did amazing, fantastic and incredible combination of flavor..One perfect dessert for sure!

23. Nami | Just One Cookbook says

Wow! This is amazing… You are right, Nutella should come with warning sign!!! LOL. What a great combination and I bet every one of us will go crazy with this ice cream!! Have a great Sunday!

24. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

This ice cream looks awesome! And I love that you made it low-carb. Definitely saving this one!

25. Lisa says

I just cme across your blog from food buzz and the Nutella recipe of course caught my eye! I am in love with Nutella and ice cream.. so I think trying this for myself is a must! Thanks for sharing :-)

26. says

We made the cheesecake ice cream last night & swirled in fresh raspberries. Also topped with fresh raspberries. It tasted like crazy good cheesecake ice cream. Really good. We used Swerve as the sugar sub & the Stevia drops, and there was a very slight aftertaste that my 12-yr old didn’t like. I’ll experiment with the Swerve & stevia & find a combo that he doesn’t mind. The rest of us loved it. Thanks!

• Carolyn says

Glad you liked it! I don’t know about the aftertaste, maybe my tastebuds have just gotten used to it. Definitely play around with the combo. Or try vanilla stevia drops, that can help with aftertaste too.