Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash

Yum

Spaghetti squash with butter, garlic and Parmesan, baked with a layer of gooey provolone cheese on top. A low carb side dish to rival any pasta recipe!

Low Carb Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti Squash

I cooked a lot of spaghetti squash over the fall and winter. It’s such a readily available squash and it’s so darn useful. Even if you’re not on a low carb or gluten-free diet, spaghetti squash is such a great alternative to heavy pasta and it holds up well to sauces and toppings. I’ve used it in so many ways, from regular spaghetti to carbonara. I think the only downside is the high liquid content, which can mean your “pasta” dishes get a little bit goopy. But I’d say that’s little price to pay for a truly healthy and delicious low carb pasta dish. I think I can overlook a little liquid at the bottom of my bowl! Oh and a big upside to spaghetti squash dishes is that they heat up nicely the next day.

Low Carb Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe

My favourite treatment of spaghetti squash is really quite simple. Some butter, some garlic, some parmesan and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. We had that as a side dish more times than I can count this past winter. It’s simple, it’s delicious and the leftovers make a great breakfast! If you can find smaller-sized squashes, about 6 to 8 inches long, they make for perfect serving sizes. Putting it back into the shells and baking it with some gooey, melty cheese on top makes for a lovely presentation as well. You can also do this with the large spaghetti squash, but the shells will hold more than a single serving. And you can easily turn this side dish into a full meal with the addition of some cooked sausage or meat before baking a second time.

Please see my Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe on A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine.

Easy Baked Spaghetti Squash with Two Cheeses

Comments

1. Michelle says

Is there somewhere else the recipe is at? The page comes up blank in the content area (shows the menu and top logo/menu) in multiple web browsers for me.

2. christine says

Carolyn, I am on your sight daily so I thought today I would share with you some ideas I have come up with since my low carb journey seeing spaghetti squash is a staple in our household. I have gotten creative with the leftovers (after its been roasted in the oven) and taken a small onion or shallot and sauteed it with some olive oil then I mix in kale or spinach once it wilts I add to the spaghetti squash top with some Parmesan cheese and bake. This is a huge hit in our family and it had me thinking how I could make a mock baked ziti but replacing the pasta with the spaghetti squash. I made my sauce with spicy sausage (pork/chicken or turkey) the spicy sausage is key for flavor, I am not a fan so I actually do half sweet half hot. I then mixed it in with the already roasted spaghetti squash and topped with a mixture of ricotta (1/3 cup) parmesan (2 TBSP) and parsley (2 TBSP) put it back in the oven and let the cheese bake. I hope you enjoy!

3. Penny Nelson says

We have spaghetti squash at least once a week. We eat low carb, high fat diet to control diabetes. It works for us. Of course sugar is a no-no too..
    Thanks for new spin on for us an old favourite…
    Be Well

4. carole says

I first made spaghetti squash nearly twenty years ago. My mother in law fixed it a lot with butter, salt, etc, so when my husband and I started trying to lose weight and started running, I thought it would be a good substitute for pasta. I would use smoked sausage in my homemade spaghetti sauce, and scoop out the squash from the shell, and let the liquid drain away, and mix the sauce with the squash, and use parmesan cheese on top. We never missed the noodles, and it made eating healthier a lot easier. Now, my husband is a diabetic, and I am going back to some of the dishes that made getting healthy easier way back when, and it is working for him and us.

5. carole says

Could you please dump one of my replies? Don’t know how that happened; was trying to correct something, and both posted, sorry.

6. Leslie says

I cook spaghetti squash in the microwave. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds, put both halves on a plate face down and cook on high for 10-15mins (based on size – it should be very soft to the touch). Much faster, doesn’t heat up your house in the summer (we’re in Georgia) and a lot of water drains off onto the plate, so the squash isn’t as soupy when you add toppings.

7. Pat says

I cook spaghetti squash in the microwave too. Only I cook it whole. I wash it and use a fork and punch little holes all over it to let the steam escape. Cook on one side for 5 minutes, turn over and cook for another 5 minutes. It should feel soft when you take it out.
    It cuts its in half like butter (I have problem cutting them raw.) Be very careful taking them handling them after they are cooked. They are very hot.

• Carol B. says

I tried this recipe tonight, and it was delicious. This is my first time cooking with spaghetti squash, in fact I’d never even heard of it. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and happened across this blog while searching for low carb recipes. I especially liked Pat’s microwave suggestion (thank you Pat). it really came in handy, as I had a hard time trying to cut the raw squash. Putting it in the microwave first worked great! Thank you Carolyn, for sharing. I will be adding this dish to my favorites!

• Carolyn says

Glad to hear it! So sorry for your diagnosis but please know that there are a million great ways to eat and control your diabetes.

8. Tina K. says

I also cook mine in the microwave but a little different. I take an icepick and push it in deep on two sides so steam can escape as it cooks. Microwave on high 7-9 min. depending on the size. Take out with oven mitts as it’s very hot. Let it sit to cool down a bit then cut and scoop.
    Last summer I raised s.s. in my garden and was very successful. Every time I was 3 or 4 ahead I microwaved them, scraped the meat and froze them in serving size bags. Now I am enjoying it all winter when the price in the store is high. I decided to grow them when in the winter of 2013 I picked up one in the store and it was over $7!!

9. Amanda says

i bought my first spaghetti squash and just attempted to cut it and it was near impossible! My hands cramped up a bunch during the process and the fact that I didn’t lose a finger (or hand) during the process is pure luck. Do you have any tips for how to make it easier (and safer) to cut the spaghetti squash? Should I poke holes in it all over with a fork and microwave for a few minutes before I follow your recipe? It looks delicious but I have no idea how to cut the squash….

• Carolyn says

Get yourself a very large and very sharp knife. And don’t get the ginormous squash, they are tougher and harder to cut. The smaller ones cook faster too. I don’t think microwaving it would do much to help.

10. deb says

This sounds heavenly!,I love ss but im onlyone in my family to eat it. Carbs are too high for my macros to have several days same week. Does it freeze well?

11. says

Love the idea on baking it and freezing for winter. My garden is overflowing with squash. I hate seeing it go to waste. A lot of people have never eaten it.Great site love to read the comments