Rich and delicious, this keto-friendly Buffalo Chicken Soup will warm you right down to your toes! It’s an easy low carb soup recipe you can whip up in less than 30 minutes.
Hooray, soup season is here! And this Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe is the best way to dig in and enjoy it.
We had our share of hot summer days this year and this cooler weather feels like a well deserved change. I don’t think anything feels as good as when it finally cools off enough to eat soup again.
The minute I feel that chill in the morning air, I start dreaming of keto soup recipes. I have so many tasty favorites like Italian Sausage Soup and Keto Tomato Soup.
But this one is a hit with the whole family. No complaints from anyone!
Why you will love this recipe
We all like easy keto dinner recipes, am I right? And this one is incredibly easy. But it’s also packed full of zingy Buffalo wing flavor, and it has only 4g net carbs per serving.
My family has a bit of an obsession with Buffalo sauce. My son was about 8 years old when he decided that classic wings were his favorite food. Then he got the girls in on it.
Now I can make just about anything with it and guarantee the whole family will gobble it down. And they were overjoyed when I created this Buffalo Chicken Soup. It’s so hearty and satisfying that the term “soup” doesn’t do it justice. It’s really more of a rich chicken chowder.
If you use pre-cooked chicken, it takes only 25 minutes to make. So the next time you have some leftover chicken, plan on making this!
Oh, this is amazing!! I had a rotisserie chicken that wasn’t being eaten and needed something yummy to do with it. This fit the bill–it’s warming and nutritious and SO flavorful!!! Thank you! — Kim
This chowder is to die for! So good! — Rachael
Couldn’t be any yummier! Family favorite here, making again tonight. Even in the summer they beg for this! — Deborah
Ingredients you need
- Buffalo sauce: Make sure to use the regular hot sauce that has no carbs, rather than a pre-mixed wing sauce. The wing sauces often contain additives that raise the carb count. For super clean ingredients, check out the sauce from The New Primal. It’s my absolute favorit!
- Celery: Celery is high in fiber and low in carbs, so it’s a great addition to keto soups.
- Onion: I only a use ¼ cup onion, since onions have a significant amount of carbs.
- Butter: I sauté the vegetables in butter, but you can also use olive oil or any other neutral tasting oil.
- Cauliflower: This is my favorite trick for thickening soups without adding starches or other fillers. Simply cook the cauliflower in the soup until tender, and blend it up!
- Cream cheese: A little ream cheese makes the Buffalo Chicken Soup extra creamy.
- Heavy whipping cream: You can also use coconut cream for dairy-free.
- Cooked chicken: Having a little pre-cooked or leftover chicken simplifies the process.
- Crumbled bleu cheese: I like to add a little bleu cheese for garnish, but it’s optional. You could also add cheddar or Monterey Jack.
- Pantry staples: Chicken bone broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
1. Sauté your veggies: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until frothy. Add the celery and onion and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the the Buffalo sauce: Whisk in the tomato paste until well combined, and then add the broth, Buffalo sauce, and cauliflower florets. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Blend it up! Transfer the soup to a blender and add the cream cheese. Blend until smooth, then return to the pot.
4. Add the cooked chicken: Stir in the cream and bring back to just a simmer, then stir in the chopped chicken. Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with chopped celery and bleu cheese.
Hidden veggies! I updated this recipe to include my favorite way of boosting nutrition and thickening soup. Simply add some cauliflower and blend it up. I use this same trick in my Keto White Chicken Chili.
You can store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up up to 5 days. It also freezes well for 2 to 3 months.
Dairy-Free Option: Use dairy-free cream cheese and coconut cream.
This keto-friendly Buffalo chicken soup has 5.3g of carbs and 1.2g of fiber per serving. That comes to 4.1g net carbs per serving.
This recipe contains shredded chicken, bone broth, celery, onions, cauliflower, cream cheese, heavy cream and Buffalo sauce. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like. Garnish with some crumbles of bleu cheese and you have a wonderful low carb meal!
Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup Buffalo sauce
- 6 ounces cauliflower florets
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Chopped celery for garnish
- Crumbled bleu cheese for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until frothy. Add the celery and onion and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the tomato paste until well combined, and then add the broth, Buffalo sauce, and cauliflower florets. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and add the cream cheese. Blend until smooth, then return to the pot.
- Stir in the cream and bring back to just a simmer, then stir in the chopped chicken. Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with chopped celery and bleu cheese.