Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup is rich and satisfying, and packed full of wholesome ingredients. It’s a keto comfort food meal the whole family will enjoy. Only 4.9g net carbs per serving!
Comfort food season is here and what’s more comforting than a big steaming bowl of soup filled with chicken, vegetables, and rich broth?
Nothing. That’s right, my friends, nothing is more comforting than keto soup. And the variations are virtually endless. You can make Keto Enchilada Soup, Thai style Chicken Soup, or my famous Chile Relleno Chicken Soup.
But this creamy keto Tuscan Chicken Soup is my new favorite and it’s easy to see why. Chunks of tender chicken with plenty of garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach in a creamy sauce. Oh and some hidden cauliflower for a thick and luscious broth.
Can you dig it?
Tuscan Soup Inspiration
Typical Tuscan style soups are often made with white beans like cannellini. Or they are imitations of Zuppa Toscana from The Olive Garden.
But I drew my inspiration for this keto chicken soup from the myriad recipes for Creamy Tuscan Chicken. You have probably seen these recipes all over the internet, and they look absolutely delicious. Pan seared chicken in a creamy Tuscan style sauce, they make your mouth water instantly.
It looks so rich and comforting, I got thinking about how to play with those flavors. It was cold and rainy here, and I was chilled to the bone. I simply needed a hot cup of soup.
And so Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup was born!
How to make keto Tuscan chicken soup
This recipe is so rich and flavorful, and certainly worth the 40 minutes it takes to make. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. This helps it cook through faster so you can get your soup on the table that much sooner. I like to make them about ½ an inch, as it makes the soup easier to eat.
- Sauté the chicken. You can use butter or oil for sautéing, and you want to cook it all the way through. Toss in the sun-dried tomatoes along with the chicken as it will intensify their flavor. Remove everything to a plate while you prep the rest of the soup.
- Sauté the garlic. Add the remaining butter or oil and cook the garlic with the tomato paste and Italian seasoning until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth and the cauliflower. I know cauliflower is an unusual ingredient in a Tuscan style soup, but it helps make a thicker broth without adding more fat or thickeners. Cook until the cauliflower is tender.
- Blend it up! Once the cauliflower is tender, blend the broth until smooth and thick.
- Put it all back together. Add the broth back to the pan and stir in the chicken. Then add the spinach and cook a minute or two until just wilted.
- Stir in the cream and Parmesan.
- Grab a spoon and dig in! I guarantee you this is some of the most heavenly keto soup you will ever make.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Still cut them into ½ inch pieces and cook accordingly.
That should work too and will make this delicious soup even faster. Sauté the sun-dried tomatoes along with the garlic, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning, and the proceed as directed.
Chop the cooked chicken or shred it with your fingers before adding in to the soup in Step 5.
Yes! Simply use coconut cream in place of the whipping cream, and add about ¼ cup of nutritional yeast in place of the Parmesan.
They reheat very well. As with all creamy soups, it’s best to reheat them gently over medium low heat. Don’t let it come to a boil.
Use chopped zucchini instead, as it also helps thicken keto soups. Cook it until tender, just as you would the cauliflower, and blend it up.
Creamy soups are always best served fresh or within a few days. You can store Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup in the fridge for up to 5 days, as long as your cream was fresh. Reheat gently in a pot over medium low heat.
I don’t recommend freezing soups that have cream in them, but you can certainly prepare the soup up to the point of Step 6 and freeze at that point. Add the cream after the soup is fully heated through.
More delicious Italian style keto recipes
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Boats
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Easy Keto Skillet Lasagna
- Keto Tiramisu
- Keto Pizzelle
- Low Carb Pizza Crust
Creamy Keto Tuscan Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil divided
- 1 ½ lb chicken thighs cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter or oil. While heating, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and the sun-dried tomatoes to the pan. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Sauté 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in the broth.
- Add the cauliflower and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup and the chicken and sundried tomatoes to the pot and bring back to a simmer. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Stir in the cream and Parmesan and stir until well combined. Serve with more grated Parmesan sprinkled over.