Key lime lovers, this one’s for you! These tangy keto key lime scones are a tropical taste sensation.Jump to Recipe
You know I have a thing for scones, right? I’ve always loved these tender, slightly crumbly baked goods. And I am always looking for new and different flavor variations.
These tangy sweet Key Lime Scones are my latest offering to all my fellow scone lovers out there.
So many fun flavors!
I am the self appointed queen of keto scones. I guarantee you that I’ve got more low carb scone recipes than any other recipe creator out there. Mind you’ve I’ve been doing this for 11 year so I have a bit of a head start!
I have 22 different low carb, sugar free scone recipes here on the blog. And that doesn’t even include the many others I have created for other sites and for my keto cookbooks!
A few of my most popular scone recipes include my classic Keto Blueberry Scones, and my Starbucks copycat Keto Maple Pecan Scones. I even have some savory recipes like these Keto Ham & Cheese Scones.
Key limes vs. Persian limes
I’m always on the hunt for new flavor ideas for these sweet biscuit-like baked goods. And citrus and scones go so well together. So why not go full on tropical and add some key lime zest and juice?
I love those little tiny key limes. They’re so cute and tart, and slightly less acidic than the standard Persian limes.
But if you’ve ever tried to work with them, you know that they are a pain in the butt to squeeze. They’re so small that you only get a few teaspoons of juice out of each one. So baking with them takes a bit of patience.
If you want to make these scones with regular limes, that’s completely acceptable! You can also purchase pre-squeezed key lime juice.
How to make Key Lime Scones
The base of this recipe is very similar to my Keto Cranberry Orange Scones, which results in a truly tender consistency. Here are my best tips for getting it right.
I use a combination of almond and coconut flour here. It’s one I’ve used frequently as I feel it gives the best texture that most resembles classic scones.
I recommend an erythritol based sweetener such as Swerve, as other sweeteners like allulose will make your scones too soft. You can do that if you wish but you’ve been warned!
Cutting in chilled butter helps give keto scones a slightly more crumbly texture. Conventional scones use the same method and it works for these as well.
Whether you are using key limes or standard limes, do not skip the zest! It boosts the lime flavor tremendously.
I cannot recommend one of these little kitchen gadgets enough. They are invaluable to me! I have a kitchen full of expensive equipment and this may be the tool I reach for the most. It’s ideal for spreading frosting but also for wiggling under fragile unbaked scones.
I also recommend silicone baking mats for protecting the bottoms of your keto baked goods. Parchment paper is a decent alternative but the mats are so useful and help reduce kitchen waste.
More delicious keto lime recipes
- Keto Key Lime Pie Bars
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Chile Lime Keto Steak Bites
- Sugar Free Raspberry Limeade
- Coconut Lime Coolers
- Key Lime Pound Cake
Keto Key Lime Scones
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon key lime zest
- 3 tablespoon key lime juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 to 2 tablespoon key lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat. Lightly grease the baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two sharp knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the egg, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and pat into a 7-inch circle. Use a very sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges, cutting straight down, rather than dragging the knife through the dough.
- Wiggle under each wedge with a knife or offset spatula, and spread the scones around the baking sheet. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the tops are firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely on the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sweetener and enough lime juice to create a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over the cooled scones.
Omg these are divine! The texture is absolutely spot on and the lime glaze really makes it. Thank you for these! I’m so excited to have them at work tomorrow with my coffee ???? Already thinking about what I’ll me baking for next week too!
I just made these. My husband and I loved them. I give these a 10 out of 10!
Going to try all your other scone recipes now.
Lovely afternoon treat!
(Especially with a gin & tonic on the side, pretending we’re British on a rainy gray day!)
These are the BEST scones ever!! For breakfast or dessert, they’re incredible!
My daughter and I love these, and they are so addicting! Key lime anything is always our favorite! Definitely going to make these again very soon!
These were fantastic! The flavor is perfect and the almond flour in them is so good. We can’t wait to make them again!
Pam Bradley says
I thought I ruined these. I was making these and your Key lime pound cake . I had both recipes out at the same time. I ended up putting 1/2 cup of butter in the scones. They just spread out a little bit. They really taste good. So I found out you can’t mess it up.
Well glad they worked out!
Amy E Pruitt says
Can you use vegan butter?
I honestly don’t know but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.
My husband’s review was that it tastes just like a scone and that the glaze is wonderful. I have to agree. The glaze is a must. I’m trying to figure out what else I can use it with.
Annette Lee says
You are the best. I so appreciate the time, money and energy you have put into developing these recipes and sharing them with us! I have to eat low carb and these have been a true life saver! We have truly loved every one that we have tried and your cookbooks are a must have! Thanks so much!????????❤️
Fantastic recipe and my new go-to for an amazing lime zing scone!