A unique and delicious keto donut recipe! Start with the best keto chocolate donuts, and add a creamy sugar free mint frosting with dark chocolate chips. A delicious minty treat the whole family will love. This post is sponsored by ChocZero.
These keto mint chip donuts are so decadent and delicious, they really are meant for dessert. Not intended for breakfast consumption!
Although, really, no one will blame you if you can’t resist eating one for breakfast. They are tough to say no to, that’s for certain.
I readily admit that they are more like keto chocolate cupcakes in donut form. And that mint chip frosting, holy moly! I knew it would be good but it was beyond amazing.
The fact that any of it made it onto the donuts themselves is testament to my incredible restraint.
I’m always on the hunt for unique and interesting recipe ideas. Too often, food bloggers get in a rut, trying to out compete each other for recipe keywords.
But I love nothing more than creating something no one else has done. And I love taking conventional high sugar recipes and making them over to be keto friendly. So when I saw these beautiful donuts from Dessert for Two, I couldn’t wait to give them a makeover.
Sugar Free Mint Chip Frosting
I had such a blast creating this keto frosting recipe, and employing ChocZero white and dark chocolate to make it extra delicious.
For the frosting base, I melted some of their white chocolate chips to give it more flavor and structure. I considered just adding some of the chocolate chips to the top of the donuts, but I decided instead to chop some of the dark chocolate squares and mix it right in.
I will warn you that white chocolate is finicky when you try to melt it. This is true even of conventional white chocolate. So follow the directions carefully and stay near it, stirring almost constantly.
But oh my, the results are so worth it. I had trouble not just spooning this delicious concoction straight into my mouth!
How to make sugar free mint chip donuts
This recipe uses my keto chocolate donuts as the base. They’re easy to make and have good tips and instructions in that article.
The frosting is over the top amazing and can be doubled or tripled if you want to use it for cakes and cupcakes. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Melt the white chocolate carefully. As mentioned above white chocolate is finicky and doesn’t like to melt smoothly. You need to take some precautions to coax it to melt
- Always melt it in a double boiler. This can be a simple as setting a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. And when I say “barely simmering”, I mean barely. There should only be a few bubbles in the water.
- Stay nearby and stir almost constantly so the heat is evenly distributed as it melts.
- Always use additional oils like coconut oil or cocoa butter to help it melt smoothly.
- Remove the bowl from over the pan as soon as it’s smooth and melted.
- Use very soft butter. Normally, “softened” means room temperature but in this case, you want it even a bit softer, almost to the point of being squishy.
- Add mint and vanilla. Mint extract on its own can be very sharp and a touch bitter. Adding a little vanilla helps offset this.
- Color to taste. Depending on what natural food color you choose to use, you may need more or less to achieve a minty green. I sometimes add a touch of blue as well, so that the green isn’t too bright.
- Beat in the white chocolate. The white chocolate gives the frosting a smoothness and flavor that is unparalleled!
- Use finely chopped dark chocolate. You could just do any sugar-free chocolate chips you like but they tend to be on the large side and make it difficult to spread the frosting on the donuts. I chopped the chocolate squares from ChocZero really finely and the frosting was just like mint chip ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this recipe works well as cupcakes too. I recommend using silicone cupcake liners to prevent sticking.
First off, let me say that I personally feel that coconut flour makes superior keto donuts and that you won’t taste the coconut. However, if you would prefer almond flour donuts, try using this keto cupcake recipe. You will only need half the recipe to make 8 donuts.
You absolutely need a bulk powdered sweetener and, in my experience, Swerve works best for smooth keto frostings. You can certainly try others if you like, but do read the packaging and make sure that they are 1:1 sugar replacements. Many are twice as sweet so you only use half as much, which will affect the consistency of your frosting.
I really like the vegetable based powders from Color Kitchen, but I’ve also heard good things about the natural dyes form Watkins. I just purchased some but have yet to try them out. Both items are easily purchased online.
The frosting on these keto donuts is very soft (by design), so I recommend storing them in the fridge between servings. You can eat them cold, but I prefer them at room temperature.
You could also freeze them, if you like. Let the frosting firm up in the fridge first, before placing them in an airtight container for freezing.
More delicious keto mint recipes
- Easy Keto Peppermint Patties
- Keto Thin Mints
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Keto Grasshopper Bars
- Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti
- No Churn Mint Chip Ice Cream
Keto Mint Chip Donut Recipe
- 1 recipe keto chocolate donuts (do not add the glaze)
Mint Chip Frosting
- ¾ ounce sugar-free white chocolate chips
- 1 ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup butter very soft!
- ⅓ cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Natural green food coloring
- ¾ ounce sugar-free dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Prepare the donuts according to the recipe. Let cool completely before adding the frosting.
Mint Chip Frosting
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the white chocolate and coconut oil together. Stir constantly as it melts. Remove the bowl from over the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until well creamed, then beat in the sweetener and the extracts until well combined.
- Add green food coloring until the desired color is achieved. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the frosting and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and spread over the cooled donuts.
YUMMY! We love chocolate and mint together. What a fun and delicious way to eat this combo that still leaves my blood sugars stabilized!
This taste so delicious and really flavorful! So easy to make as well, thanks a lot for sharing this amazing mint chip donuts recipe! Will surely have this again! Highly recommended!
Jessica Burgess says
These are a life saver!! I made these last night and talk about hitting the spot. My husband even said, “umm… make sure these are on the rotation please.” Haha. So thank you!
Thank you ????